Best Of Charlotte

I didn't see a thread about this already. Can I get some opinions on the list(s)? I'm still a relative newcomer to Charlotte, but even I've found better restaurants and stores than were listed. I mean, NORDSTROM won for clothes? With all the indie boutiques here that have far better selections? For those of you who've been here awhile: What is the REAL Best of Charlotte?

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/ent...st/11726385.htm

BTW- Are there any newspaers better than The Observer? They're a little too boosterish and well, childish for my tastes.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't see a thread about this already. Can I get some opinions on the list(s)? I'm still a relative newcomer to Charlotte, but even I've found better restaurants and stores than were listed. I mean, NORDSTROM won for clothes? With all the indie boutiques here that have far better selections? For those of you who've been here awhile: What is the REAL Best of Charlotte?

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/ent...st/11726385.htm

BTW- Are there any newspaers better than The Observer? They're a little too boosterish and well, childish for my tastes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GREAT THREAD !!! I am sure you are going to get a ton of responses. I know you have already probably seen it, but Creative Loafing isn't a bad read (to find out what is "happening and what is out there")for newcomers, or for long time residents of the QC.

:)

Yeah the Charlotte Observer's Best of is pretty much a joke to me. They have some good picks, but they tend to lack in some areas. I like Creative Loafing's Best Of, as well. But I have my qualms with it to at times. But what really surprises me are the Reader's Polls, guess it shows you how the mass majority in Charlotte thinks. I mean the Charlotte Observer readers actually gave Wendy's "Best Burger", Come on....More people tend to sworm to a store with a big name or a higher profile image rather than shop at a quality botuique store that has more of an intamate style and taste. I perfer the smaller botuique style stores myself, but Charlotte still needs to grow in that department.

And on another rant.... How can The Charlotte Observer list a store that isn't even open yet???

Shopping Best Of 2005:

Gift store (newcomer)- NOFO

:D

***Edit*** Ok I take this back,because I was unaware this place had a location on Hawthorne prior to it's new location soon to be open on Elizabeth. I jumped the gun. :D

The Rhino Times. "Be more than an Observer"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Talk about poor writing! Rhino is the worst. I do find it amusing that they grab hold to any right-wing cause, yet always put a trio of scantily clad intoxicated pretty girls at some uptown bar on the front page of every issue...but I digress....

Creative Loafing is better for the "best of". I tend to stay away from CL because I can't handle actually seeing a picture of Tara Servatius (did I spell that wrong? hope so). What a pompous, self-righteous twit!

You have to realize that people actually voted on this stuff. Our fellow Charlotteans actually took a stand and said that Wendy's has the best hamburger in town. Are we really that pathetic? I agree with the Observer that the Comet Grill has a great hamburger. As for the rest of their "best of", well, they are playing to the masses. We are a city of suburbanites who are accustomed to mediocrity. Why rock the boat?

Thanks for the link to Rhino Times. But I cannot trust a newspaper that doesn't know the meaning of "McMansions". McMansion is not a word coined by liberals to discourage the rich. It's a term coined by snobs to discourage tacky, faux-Tuscan tract homes.

I've seen Charlotte's BOB, which was pretty good. Sadly, the magazine is pretty boring.

Thanks for the link to Rhino Times. But I cannot trust a newspaper that doesn't know the meaning of "McMansions".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it's important to remember that neither Creative Loafing nor the Rhino Times is a newspaper. They're equally biased, and while they both have interesting viewpoints, I think that if people regularly read one they should try to read the other one too.

I tend to disagree with the writers from both papers pretty frequently. I also find it quite strange that Rhino so regularly fills its pages with pictures of local intoxicated females. It seems like they're trying to somehow use that to look more "hip". I tend to think it makes them look more like dirty old men.... maybe this is their version of "Best of Charlotte" that they include every week.

sorry if I got off topic. :unsure:

i think all the local media outlets have their problems around here (and you could make a case for most places). The big O has its issues, bordering on boosterism, etc. All the papers are better than the local tv news, so i tend to stick to the papers for my news, as they tell more of the story and are much more balanced. I tend to pick up a freebie paper once a month or so to get the flipside of things. Usually, i just think they are anti for anti's sake, but it is good to get the non-booster side occassionally.

• 10 months later...

Funny this thread got found.

I had done some digging earlier this year and spent a bit of time with tthe AOL cities site and looking close at their best of and top tens. Seems all of the reviewers and those who "plian old pick" which are to be even considered have never traveled north of exit 16 on RT77.

Last I had heard University City area was one of the 5 biggest meto areas in the state, but perhaps managed only 1 restaurant thought to be "best " in any category.

I dont think there is anything exceptional that was specifically overlooked, but the idea that a meal must be located in Matthews or uptown and cost $50 a plate to be a favorite is obscene. 80% of all meals bought are somewhat non planned or meals on the go or "while we are out". Not sure why restaurant opinions seem something often decided by the most out of touch to hunger.

For me it feels like having Albert Einstein coach the Panthers, just because hes intelligent doesnt give him a sense for blue collar needs and application that applies to most people involved.

But whatever, I eat just because I am skinny and I love to stuff myself, which seems like the true motivation of 90% of diners.

Anyone got a place that really should get mention drop a thread in our forum deleted. please read the rules about advertizing and we will trun it into a review if its cool. The review side of the site is over a year old and gets alot of readers, the forum site is brand new so people could chime in. Really could use some working class insight on the uptown fare and matthews pizza joints.

Remember that this is not NYC. Charlotte is a suburban area filled with chains of all types and that's what people in Charlotte- disproportionately families with kids- go for.

My favorite is Greenville, SC, whose newspaper has reviews of TGI Friday's that give it multiple stars. That's just what people in mid-sized suburban cities like.

Pittsburgh (PA) had Taco Bell listed two years in a row as best Mexican in its annual "best of".

I think Charlotte Magazine does the best job locally in this kind of thing.

To Charlottecritic, one does not have to be skinny to enjoy stuffing oneself. I do just fine and have the ever expanding selection of Levis sizes in my closet to prove it.

Wow edited in my first post, I didnt find linking to a resource valuable to the thread and relevent to the conversation was advertising. Sorry if its my own source but that doesnt mean its not exactly what we are discussing here.

I agree skinny and fat dine togther at many a chinese buffet in harmony.

Fat is just a trophy of the successful once skinny person.

And i agree mallguy, so in this way it is funny that the best of charlotte is always a place like Zebra, where an average income family would consider spending a paycheck as wasting their money.

For this reason I wonder if critics who hang at foofy restaurants are just writing for themselves all the time.

For this reason I wonder if critics who hang at foofy restaurants are just writing for themselves all the time.

Indeed. I think critics are overrated in my book. Other than what the health department has to say, I have little interest in what is printed in the paper (especially considering what we have in CLT) and websites about a restaurant. I would rather find out for myself.

I think a lot of places with cheaper menus get ranked in "best of" categories. Many Charlotte favorites are lower priced, even the ones in the center city. I'm not sure why one would assume that eating in a non-chain place in the center city somewhere would automatically be expensive or prohibitive to someone from a blue collar background or someone with a family. Places like Mert's, Pike's Old Fashion Soda Shop, etc. etc. are all reasonably priced and very family friendly. In addition to the restaurant itself being family friendly, these restaurants are located in areas that would allow parents the opportunity to share more than a meal with their children. Before going to Mert's for a true southern meal a parent could take their family to the Levine Museum of the New South and go through its wonderful exhibits designed for children of all ages, or Imaginon, or Discovery Place. If going somewhere like Pike's, a parent could take there kids to the Trolley museum in the Trolley Barn and even go for a ride on the historic trolley before dinner (except the trolley isn't running right now due to construction but it will be coming back).

I took a look at my hometown newspaper and an inexpensive restaurant with a buffet in a mid-priced chain hotel, which is the most recently rated restaurant, gets four stars. I'm sure there are people there exclaiming, "Woo hoo! We got a four star restaurant! Just like New York City!"

Indeed. I think critics are overrated in my book. Other than what the health department has to say, I have little interest in what is printed in the paper (especially considering what we have in CLT) and websites about a restaurant. I would rather find out for myself.

I think on a site like eGullet you can pretty much trust the opinions of the site's members. They cover everything from high brow restaurants to hole in the wall food joints and everything in between. My experience with real foodies is that they don't discriminate. Neither do I. I'm really not a snob. I get just as excited about Barbecue as I do Kobe beef drizzled with black truffle oil. It's all good. :)

BTW -- Kathleen Purvis of The Observer posts on EG forums. She's made some great recs for Charlotte/NC food. I've never been steared wrong by her. She also recommends a wide range of places to eat.

Wow edited in my first post, I didnt find linking to a resource valuable to the thread and relevent to the conversation was advertising. Sorry if its my own source but that doesnt mean its not exactly what we are discussing here.

Thank you for your opinion of your website. Everybody thinks their website is the next best thing. If you become a regular member here we might considering letting you post a plug for your place.

yes thre are a lot you are right, mainly in categories that are traditionally cheap anyhow, like pizza, burgers, mexican and similar. But from the directory sites and travel sites I see like aol cities, I find about 70% on the overall best list are not your local favorite types like you mention, but more a restaurant manufactired for the sole purpose of being the most "fabulous" in town.

Its all an opinion I know, but I imagine most people will agree that the favorite food when your really hungry in your lifetime was probally less than $14. Mine is a Cuban sandwich shop in Miami, Florida. For $7 I can get a meal that no 5 star chef can compete with no matter how many valets park my car.

Archived