Church Street Plaza | 28-Story Office/Hotel [Phase 1 Under Construction]

bic

26 minutes ago, castorvx said:

If that's true, do those cities not have competing office concentrations outside of the city core?

Orlando literally has investors trying to create brand new city cores outside of the city proper. There's a lot of competition outside of downtown.

What does it matter the reason ?

Every big city has competing suburban office markets.  Case in point DC. Fact is Tampa/St.Pete has a way bigger corporate base of Fortune 500 & 1000 headquartered companies Tech Data, Jabil, WellPoint, HSI (Outback), Raymond James, HSN etc etc etc. Besides Darden not too many Fortune 1000 companies HQ in Orlando. Not trying to do a city vs city battle. 

Dale it does seem like you pivoted over one development?

I do agree with downtowns trouble translating the livability investments into office leases.   Capital Plaza 3, CNL 3 and Tremont and their brokers have a lot of people shopping and we can't get any thing new built.

Hostdime building in Eatonville stings.

You can be bullish on downtown overall and still see the office reality.   It's a real blemish in what otherwise is going great.

Even Creative Village hasn't had any big names coming in outside of education.   ADP just grew in Maitland, Xerox in Ocoee and again freaking Hostdime 

Also - Tremont isn't stalled because of DOT

Going back as far as the 1980's downtown has had problems getting office tower projects off the ground.

If all the high-rise office towers that have been designed and proposed for downtown since the early 80's had been built, you'd barely recognize the place.

A few residential towers, too.

4 hours ago, gibby said:

I really hope this one happens.  This and 520 are important IMO.  After that, I'd be satisfied with just a bunch of townhome style stuff here and there, plus the Ivanhoe area stuff.

After that we need the Sentinel property and lots in No Man's land near central station and the courthouse to be built out.  This is the main area that will be lacking to connect the CBD with North Quarter, new Creative Village, and other outlying developments. 

Edited by dcluley98

5 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Going back as far as the 1980's downtown has had problems getting office tower projects off the ground.

If all the high-rise office towers that have been designed and proposed for downtown since the early 80's had been built, you'd barely recognize the place.

A few residential towers, too.

I think this is true of everywhere. They're called proposals for a reason. Many if not most of them never see the light of day. 

3 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

After that we need the Sentinel property and lots in No Man's land near central station and the courthouse to be built out.  This is the main area that will be lacking to connect the CBD with North Quarter, new Creative Village, and other outlying developments. 

I would really like to see more development west of I-4 outside of Creative Village. Lots of potential there.

6 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Downtown effectively ends at Robinson; it's kind of dead between Robinson and Colonial but the situation has been improving. Infilling all the empty lots and redeveloping the Sentinel site would work wonders to make a better connection to North Quarter: this area could become a sort of "midtown" between Downtown and North Quarter.

2 hours ago, castorvx said:

I think this is true of everywhere. They're called proposals for a reason. Many if not most of them never see the light of day. 

I would really like to see more development west of I-4 outside of Creative Village. Lots of potential there.

Same here, specifically in the area between the new stadium, City View, and the US courthouse. Also would be great to see infill on Parramore Ave south of the stadium, get a nice main street streetscape going.

• Like 1

There is actually quite a bit of activity around BOA and the Courthouse.  I work nearby and sometimes walk to work or go to lunch nearby and there is notable pedestrian activity always in that area and several lunch spots in the area that see huge business from the Courthouse folks. 

Everything between Colonial and the courthouse might as well be from Mad Max though. Developing those giant empty lots like the one next to the Lynx Central Station, the fenced off lot caty-corner to it, and the triangle lot on Magnolia could work wonders and multiply the activity.  The Sentinel Property is like a black hole though.  It is right along 3 of the main arteries of our city in Colonial, Orange, and Magnolia, with our main transit station a block away, and then Amelia on the south that will be the artery under I-4 to the middle of the Creative Village.  It is imperative that this property is redeveloped, and done right to connect everything that is going on around it, IMO.  

I agree with you on the West of I-4 development, for sure, but right now, eliminating that black hole of suck in the middle of everything happening in the Sentinel area is a bigger issue to me! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, castorvx said:

Yuh, my grasp word speaking gud is....

I just think Orlando seems to have a disproportionately higher percentage than many cities.

• 3 weeks later...

lots of great analyses and insight here but no facts on the status of this project.

Fact:  there was a Magic game last night and the parking lot on Tremont property, which has been operating for over ten years, was not operating.  not sure how long this has been the case.  So, the landlord must have not renewed the business lease in anticipation of Tremont Tower.

• Like 1