Church Street Plaza | 28-Story Office/Hotel [Phase 1 Under Construction]

bic

CHURCH STREET PLAZA (PHASE 1)

Tremont_Tower.png

Fact Sheet:
  • 28-story office/hotel tower w/ 586-space parking garage proposed for the corner of Garland Ave. & South St. This replaces the 15-story Hyatt Place proposal that was previously slated for this site.
  • Plans indicate that the tower would be 326'-6" tall (426'-6" AMSL)
  • 10-floor parking garage w/ 586-spaces
  • 8-floor hotel w/ 180 rooms
  • 7-floors of office totaling 200,000 sq. ft.
  • 7,500 sq. ft. lobby/ground floor retail
  • Possible additional SunRail platform
  • Parties involved: Tremont Realty Capital, GAI Consultants, Hunton Brady Architects, HDR Engineering

Tremont files new plan for 25-story building with 586-space parking garage

• Like 4

I'm a huge fan of this proposal. The scale and design is just right for this area, it fills in the skyline nicely, eliminates a surface parking lot on a prominent corner, improves the SunRail experience at Church St., provides more parking for the arena, brings in more hotel rooms and office space, looks sleek and different from the typical Orlando vernacular, and should look great from I-4.

• Like 4

I don't like it.  Three driveways on a tiny parcel in an area as urban as this is a joke.  The Hyatt Place proposal only included two driveways (zero on South Street).  If these guys remove the South Street driveway then I guess it would look alright.

No, No, No, No, No.

I don't like it.  Remember how the old bank building in downtown Winter Park was such an eyesore to the rest of Park Ave.  It just didn't fit in.  It was a cold glassy building.  About 8 years ago they spent a millions redoing the exterior, giving it a warmer brick and stone look.  Now it's a warm, people friendly exterior. So why, in the midst of what gives Orlando downtown a warm and unique charm (the CNL cluster, incl city hall, and sun) would you put a cold, reflective exterior?

I don't mind the increased height, meh, but at least the Hyatt design made efforts to fit in with the rest of the downtown cluster.  This beast is out of place, just like the old bank in Winter Park used to be.  

I like it a lot. Sleek design, and good mix of hotel and office space. And the additional parking makes sense, too. Seems like a well thought out business plan. Hope it moves forward. The hotel will be shot in the arm for businesses on Church Street. Great for restaurants to have hungry hotel guests right next door.

• Like 4

A significant improvement over the Hyatt plan.  Finally a proposal with decent height and a small footprint.

It seems to blend in the many elements of the location -- mass transit, mixed-use, pedestrian activity, and a tip-of-the hat the arena on the other side of the highway.

This could very quickly jump to the top of my list of favorites for downtown development. 

The RIDA folks up the street could learn a thing or two from this proposal.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 4

So I think it is very interesting that Tremont Capital owns that lot yet Lincoln Properties is all over the renderings. Don't be surprised if a prominent tenant is already lined up for the office portion. This is somewhat this booms version of a Dynetech Tower. I take back what I said earlier about being as tall as the Vue though; it's base is at 100' elevation and the 426' is really 326' in height from the ground.

Lincoln is the developer and would be the owner. 

Tremont is a fund and asset manager. 

Edited by jack

I don't like it.  Three driveways on a tiny parcel in an area as urban as this is a joke.  The Hyatt Place proposal only included two driveways (zero on South Street).  If these guys remove the South Street driveway then I guess it would look alright.

Genuine question: why such a concern with the driveways? It's a hotel. Looks like valet + self parking + service entry / dock? Seems logical to separate those things to me. 

Genuine question: why such a concern with the driveways? It's a hotel. Looks like valet + self parking + service entry / dock? Seems logical to separate those things to me. 

Pedestrians have it tough with more driveways.  Also, service driveways tend to remain blocked.  A good example is the service driveway for the Sanctuary which is often blocked by mobile car wash guys.  Two driveways along Garland are necessary for the type of use and that's just how it has to be for a hotel.  The service driveway on South is only there so they can avoid making room for it on the ground level from one of the Garland driveways like Hyatt did.  Walking from Orange to Garland already has a ton of obstacles for pedestrians and this would add another obstacle for them, literally feet away from the platform of our main downtown train station.

• Like 2

Pedestrians have it tough with more driveways.  Also, service driveways tend to remain blocked.  A good example is the service driveway for the Sanctuary which is often blocked by mobile car wash guys.  Two driveways along Garland are necessary for the type of use and that's just how it has to be for a hotel.  The service driveway on South is only there so they can avoid making room for it on the ground level from one of the Garland driveways like Hyatt did.  Walking from Orange to Garland already has a ton of obstacles for pedestrians and this would add another obstacle for them, literally feet away from the platform of our main downtown train station.

Good points, thanks for clarifying.

I like it.  Dynetech's cousin.

It will look great.  I get the concerns about CSS and the CNL "look" etc, but, it won't matter much.  Take Chicago; the Daley Center is next door to the Courthouse; you can't get more contrast than that.  Same with the Federal Center to, well, every old bldg in the Loop.

It's pretty. compliments Amway.

It's actually going to be the tallest downtown hotel bldg.

Edited by jrs2

• 2 weeks later...