Church Street Plaza | 28-Story Office/Hotel [Phase 1 Under Construction]

bic

so much drama to get a high rise built downtown.  ever notice that?  so many projects have been downsized as though the high-rise gods will look disfavorably upon Orlando and bring about a plague or something.

I hope this one gets built because of: office; hotel; Sunrail; development of an empty lot; creation of contiguity with Amway Center to CBD retail and office corridor; etc..

• Like 2

Beautiful Building. ...

The building has some style to it, I'll give you that. However, it really doesn't fit well with the surrounding buildings.  The CNL look (including city hall) has dominated this part of downtown.  I think it is also a tip of the hat to the Angebilt. The Hyatt design incorporated that look into its lower 7-8 floors so that it really fit in nicely with the neighborhood.  This building would look nice across I-4 near the Magic complex or as an initial building in Creative Village.  It also fits in well with the Orlando Health campus.  But in this location it's an eyesore.

Edited by cwetteland

The building has some style to it, I'll give you that. However, it really doesn't fit well with the surrounding buildings.  The CNL look (including city hall) has dominated this part of downtown.  I think it is also a tip of the hat to the Angebilt. The Hyatt design incorporated that look into its lower 7-8 floors so that it really fit in nicely with the neighborhood.  This building would look nice across I-4 near the Magic complex or as an initial building in Creative Village.  It also fits in well with the Orlando Health campus.  But in this location it's an eyesore.

It's right in the middle of the Amway / OUC / Dr. Phillips Center triangle of contemporary glass architecture, so I'm hoping it doesn't feel out of place. 

more of an eyesore than the current parking lot?  

• Like 2

Yeah, I think it is quite beautiful, and some of the most charming things is when there is new architecture rising above old.  That's the least of my concerns.

Yup. One of Boston's most beloved buildings looks nothing like anything that previously existed around it. The same can be said for other buildings all over the world.

MI-BD450_dweek_G_20100518225515.jpg

I really don't see this as an eyesore, in fact, it replaces a parking lot and it hides a parking garage that is now visible from I-4.  At street level, this looks pretty solid from a pedestrian standpoint, effectively extending the walkable urban area of Church Street around the block and integrating the SunRail / train station into one seamless center of activity.

I also just love how hulking this is.  It is going to tower over that small lot and provide for some nice visual sightlines.

Walking around the lake tonight I couldn't help but notice the new OUC building fits right in around City Commons. I think this one will be just fine. 

The building has some style to it, I'll give you that. However, it really doesn't fit well with the surrounding buildings. The CNL look (including city hall) has dominated this part of downtown. I think it is also a tip of the hat to the Angebilt. The Hyatt design incorporated that look into its lower 7-8 floors so that it really fit in nicely with the neighborhood. This building would look nice across I-4 near the Magic complex or as an initial building in Creative Village. It also fits in well with the Orlando Health campus. But in this location it's an eyesore.

So we all agree... to disagree with cwette.
  • Like 1

Yup. One of Boston's most beloved buildings looks nothing like anything that previously existed around it. The same can be said for other buildings all over the world.

MI-BD450_dweek_G_20100518225515.jpg

Off-topic but terrifying fact: that building had a lot of engineering flaws and at one point the 500lb glass panes were getting blown out of the window frames and crashing to the sidewalk below. 

As for THIS project, I think it's awesome. That lot has had a "hotel coming soon" as long as I've lived in Orlando. Fingers crossed that it actually gets built.

If it does, I have an amazing view of the project and will setup a construction webcam to share with you all. 

• Like 3

I'm excited about this project because it fills the empty surface parking lot and is right next to I-4 and will take peoples' attention away from 55W b/c I'm not happy how 55W's garage looks among other things.

"Among other things" being that funny-looking hat thing on top of it?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This one is currently in review by ARB - 

R900clear.gif Miscellaneousclear.gif Not Metclear.gif 7/03/2015clear.gif Douglas A. Metzgerclear.gifclear.gifclear.gifarrowIconRed.gifclear.gifARB-CONFLICTS Utility Conflicts - there are utility lines that conflict with the tree well locations on South Street and Garland Avenue. Street trees on this site have already been minimized therefor the utility lines need to be re-located to eliminate the conflict or treated with root guards that extend 10 feet beyond the conflicted tree wells. Structural soil shall be utilized around the street tree wells consistent with Detail 3.4-O and 3.4-P of the Downtown Orlando Streetscape Guidelines.

• 4 weeks later...