Church Street Plaza | 28-Story Office/Hotel [Phase 1 Under Construction]

bic

...darn, I guess I have to be "that guy" but every project needs one, I love the sleek design of this building and what it brings downtown, the "city center" feel for Sunrail Users and its impression, I know in many cities has an impact on the riders and their chance to splurge. I DO (I know it's Orlando) but given its central location, the building just one hundred feet taller, I believe 430' would give the building a more IN YOUR FACE city center vibe, but would also attract the developer to appeal to higher class, and larger business tenants (and small). With subtle LED lighting, A nice white and blue or green hue to the building that's noticeable would be very pleasing. I always have questioned why Orlando has yet to set up a high rise or top floor public gallery, used for art, dining, bands, and local charities that is set in the top of one of the taller buildings, and is open for public usage. I'm thinking, Suntrust, Mank of America has a restraint I believe, but privately owned, the Court House could too, or Dynetech. It would be a nice thing to have a building with a dedicated "public level" that people with permits can do what they want to use it for (as long as part is always open). I still fear that height restriction while...normally for a city can be rather nice and produce much better pedestrian and urban environments....Orlando is ALSO a tourist Mecca. When your on I drive....or say your in East Orlando, and have just moved there, you see The Orlando Eye, Skyplex, the new 450 foot  sling shot, along with possibly I square, and the building developers who are going to start throwing in 550 to 650 foot skyscrapers and may challenge skyplex. Downtown doesn't have to start building 700 or 800 foot buildings, but it is best for them to increase the height limit to 600 feet (yeah a pipe dream) so a few large office tenants come in, and you have an intriguing enough skyline, that newcomers, visitors and locals when they think of where they want to go for fun, isn't JUST I drive. It's a pipe dream and won't happe, but considering they allow to 441 feet, this would look sleeker and more impressive if slightly taller, and perhaps they could experiment with brick and mortar architecture at the pedestrician or below the 100 foot level and see how that interacts.

This is Orlando...not Copenhagen...we don't create anything...we copy everything the cheap way after it has been done in other cities for 10 years...we can't even get a garage top public garden let alone having developer folk out entire level for public space.

At least Trement tower is try to proactive by incorporating Sun Rail station but see how much crap it gets from FDOT...

Sky Garden in London is awesome.

Edited by sunshine

This is Orlando...not Copenhagen...we don't create anything...we copy everything the cheap way after it has been done in other cities for 10 years...we can't even get a garage top public garden let alone having developer folk out entire level for public space.

At least Trement tower is try to proactive by incorporating Sun Rail station but see how much crap it gets from FDOT...

Sky Garden in London is awesome.

Just move already. I've spent 12 years reading your complaints and it's a bit tiresome. 

Edited by RedStar25

That's a little harsh....... I think we all wish Orlando had a little more original architecture then it does. However the reality is we need a lot more infill before we get to that point. I think this apt tower boom is just the beginning. The more density the better at this point. The only high rises we get will be short or copied for the time being. Anything else will not justify financially. 

Looks guys, I know everyone has their opinion with regards to what should/shouldn't be built in their city and what constitutes as good or bad architecture. Obviously we all have an interest in those things as we participate on this site.

Having said that, everyone is entitled to their opinion, right or wrong (that's why it is an opinion and not a fact). If you disagree, just agree to disagree. It doesn't make the other person(s) wrong and it doesn't make you wrong. Please use this forum to express your opinion, but do so while keeping things civil and understand that we're all real people with real opinions. If you don't like what the other person says, you can actually ignore that user's posts. This doesn't apply to moderators however (for hopefully obvious reasons).

Thanks!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2015/09/exclusive-new-mixed-use-tower-coming-near-church.html

Ready or not, downtown Orlando’s newest mixed-use project — the 25-story Tremont Tower — is getting ready to put shovels into the ground.
Church Street Station landlord Tremont Realty Capital and development partner Lincoln Property Co. are seeking construction permits from the city of Orlando to start work on the new office/hotel high-rise set to built on the existing parking lot on Garland Avenue next to the Church Street Ballroom.

• Like 4

I love this project. I take the dog down to that strip of grass from 55 West everyday so it will suck to have that convenient space gone BUT that corner needs a facelift big time. This is going to be a great addition!

Interesting bit about the potential to replace Chirch Street ballroom with conference space and potential residential units. I don't remember hearing anything about that.

OBJ is famous for this.  A big flashy "Exclusive" of a non-story.  Tremont might break ground this year.  Of course they might.  The Yard might, Orlando Central might, City Tower might break ground (although OBJ said they'd break ground this summer).  The clock is ticking.

There was some news.  I'd always wondered why the Club Paris building was in the site plan.  The article talks about a phase II that would be a separate building connected to the phase I garage structure.

I don't think Orlando is really far behind when comparing to similar cities in Florida like Jax or Tampa. Miami is really on a whole different level with all the international dollars pouring in. A lot of Orlando's recent projects have been infill which I think had been healthy and will further drive more vertical construction down the road when space becomes sparse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1