Church Street Plaza | 28-Story Office/Hotel [Phase 1 Under Construction]

bic

Grid work aside, I think they should've just made the garage a pedestal on the bottom and the tower one slender vertical slab on top of it.

Another odd looking design that could only find a home in downtown Odd-lando.

6 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

I like it. 

I do not think it is "random" though. 

Staggered.

Edited by JFW657

I still like it... 

Odd works, sometimes. 

3 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Grid work aside, I think they should've just made the garage a pedestal on the bottom and the tower one slender vertical slab on top of it.

Another goofy looking design that could only find a home in downtown Odd-lando.

Staggered.

it is not staggered. It is opposite floor to floor. 

The pattern is based on mathematical proportions only the designer would know, but it is repeated in opposite each floor. 

This was intended, IMO, to convey chaos within order, and a resonant motif that may seem random, but is not. 

2 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

I still like it... 

Odd works, sometimes. 

I don't dislike it, I just think it could've been designed better.

I will say the staggered pattern does look a bit dated. Kind of 60's. That's not necessarily bad, if you're into that whole retro look, which I kind of am.

I'm withholding final judgement until it's completed.

9 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

I still like it... 

Odd works, sometimes. 

it is not staggered. It is opposite floor to floor. 

The pattern is based on mathematical proportions only the designer would know, but it is repeated in opposite each floor. 

This was intended, IMO, to convey chaos within order, and a resonant motif that may seem random, but is not. 

IOW, it's staggered. :rolleyes: :whistling:

• Haha 1

Funny that whenever I said this is a bad design back before construction, everyone shot me down.  The west side reminds me of two buildings.  One we all call the I-4 eyesore.  And the other was the Barnett Bank on Park Ave, Winter Park which was eventually skinned and re-clad in something more masonry. looking.  Now it's home to Luma and BOA and very popular.  The East side .... yikes.

Looking at it from this angle, it looks reasonably tall and slender...

ohlsc041419.jpg

Once the hat goes on, it will look a bit moreso.

I will say that using such an overtly different looking outer material on the garage portion really does help in that regard. Gives it the appearance of two separate buildings next to one another.

Maybe it just needs a good brise soleil.

3 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Looking at it from this angle, it looks reasonably tall and slender...

ohlsc041419.jpg

Once the hat goes on, it will look a bit moreso.

I will say that using such an overtly different looking outer material on the garage portion really does help in that regard. Gives it the appearance of two separate buildings next to one another.

Maybe it just needs a good brise soleil.

Hank would love that!

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Touché.  To be fair, I get giddy every time I go over that bridge leaving the cul de sacs and stroads all but behind 

I know what you mean;

When I first saw it, I was confused because I didn't expect to be able to see it from that vantage point so soon.  Then I realized just how wide this thing actually was; it's dimensions are kind of hidden b/c you don't expect it to be so wide (or long) when that lot didn't look all that big to begin with.  

From the Orlando Business Journal about a 2nd tower here and sounds like they have a great deal of interest.   

""Dallas-based Lincoln Property Co. — the developer of the rising SunTrust Plaza at Church Street Station — expects to break ground by the end of this year or January 2020 for its adjacent mixed-use project, called "T2 at Church St Station," Austin Stahley, Lincoln Property's Florida region director, told Orlando Business Journal. The tower is expected to be a similar size to its 28-story, $133 million sister at the northwest corner of Garland Avenue and South Street.  The general contractor is Dallas-based Austin Commercial, and the architect is Orlando-based Baker Barrios Architects. Renderings weren't immediately available.  Leasing also is progressing for the project, Stahley said. "We’re in discussions with several companies, but very far along with three tenants that would put the second tower at approximately 50% pre-leased.""

"https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/04/12/construction-to-start-soon-on-next-downtown-office.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2019-04-15&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1555356587&j=87829681

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, The ATX said:

That's quite a highway project going on in the background.

https://i4ultimate.com/project-info/

That junction, I4 and FL 408*, is Central Florida’s busiest interchange..

* The Spessard L. Holland East-West Expressway for those keeping score at home.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, The ATX said:

That's quite a highway project going on in the background.

The camera that screenshot is from, is actually a live, streaming webcam placed there for the purpose of viewing that highway project.

https://i4ultimate.com/construction-info/construction-map/#liveCameras

It just happened coincidentally, that the building went up in the foreground.