Church Street Plaza | 28-Story Office/Hotel [Phase 1 Under Construction]

bic

1 hour ago, bqknight said:

I'm thinking if they would have extended the "short" part to be the same length as the "tall" part, but left a gap to create a twin tower type thing, it may have looked better. At some angles the building looks good, but IMO from most, it does not. 

Extending the height of the short section would have added immensely to the construction cost and doing it just to change the appearance with no other real function would have been a huge waste. 

I think making both sections the same height would have created an even more stumpy, stocky looking appearance even with the gap you described.

Although I do like the idea of that gap between the two portions at their current height/difference. 

If they had just inset that transitional section a bit more to create more of an appearance of a gap, I think that would have been an improvement.

Overall I still like the building, though.

Glad it went up.

• Like 1

To each their own. I don't think it looks stumpy, I just think the transition from all glass to the checkered thing...looks weird (like you said). I also don't like how the "roof" of the checkered part is literally just a flat...nothing. It looks like they just chopped something off or left it undone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bqknight said:

To each their own. I don't think it looks stumpy, I just think the transition from all glass to the checkered thing...looks weird (like you said). I also don't like how the "roof" of the checkered part is literally just a flat...nothing. It looks like they just chopped something off or left it undone. 

I've thought about that, too. But I can't think of anything else they could've really done there.

There is somewhat of a transition on the side and even a little bit of a step down....

Suntrust-Plaza_2.jpg

Suntrust-Plaza_4-1626x1080.jpg 

But something more gradual might have looked better.

Maybe even a curved element sloping downward to the outer edge of the lower section.  :dontknow:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/14/2020 at 7:30 PM, shardoon said:

When is the hotel opening? Or when was it originally planned to open pre corona?

Kolter Hospitality says they are planning to open the Ace Hotel by Marriott in January.  This article from yesterday includes an interview with a VP that doesn't cover much new ground, but does mention Kolter may be open to more hotels in this market- namely Eola, Winter Haven and the medical campuses.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/10/06/kolter-hospitality-downtown-orlando-marriott-hotel.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_11&cx_artPos=4

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

So I was headed home last night west bound down east west and I’m pretty sure I spotted some white lights at the top of the tower. From that direction the view of building is brief and partial.

for those out and about downtown at night, has some lighting been added to top of the tower?

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, orange87 said:

I actually thought it was a nice change of pace architecture-wise from all the stubby boxes with visors that we have gotten for years.

If they had done it a little better... (taller, more slender and without the huge, fat base that made it look like a stubby stack of boxes) I would probably agree, even though it is an example of "fad architecture" that's been done before. 

I'd like to see something that is actually unique go up there.

Sleek and unique.

• Like 1