Church Street Plaza | 28-Story Office/Hotel [Phase 1 Under Construction]

bic

That Hotel amenities deck looked really cool with green elements incorporated into it and green roof/trees now showing on the east side area that overlooks downtown, Grand Bohemian, and DPA/City Hall sites. If it gets built anything like the latest renderings, it will be pretty sweet!

• Like 1

On 4/19/2017 at 7:30 PM, JFW657 said:

Given that it wasn't built until the late 80's or early/mid 90's, I wouldn't go as far as to say it has much in the way of history, but nonetheless, like you, I'd hate to see it torn down. It's a nice building with a lot of potential uses and it would be a shame to waste it like that.

True, but I'd still like them to keep some of the building, at least the facade or something from the ballroom.

• Like 1

There are many potential uses for the ballroom - I really do hope it remains. When I was young, it was always the first building I would remember seeing coming into downtown and I remember that excitement I would feel as I approached. I would hate to see it go.

I really think it has potential to transform into in Eataly-style market, given the location and foot traffic the area sees.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

There are many potential uses for the ballroom - I really do hope it remains. When I was young, it was always the first building I would remember seeing coming into downtown and I remember that excitement I would feel as I approached. I would hate to see it go.

I really think it has potential to transform into in Eataly-style market, given the location and foot traffic the area sees.

^^

I like that idea...Eataly...

1 hour ago, orlandouprise said:

Another article in OBJ states that phase II will have an indoor station for Sunrail, comparing it to NYC's Central Station??? I think there is a lot of hyperbole in that quote from the developer but still is nice to hear they are thinking BIG

Jebus - they are still saying that (and the OBJ is happily drooling at the typewriter)?

All this says to me is disregard anything the current project leaders are throwing out there.   There won't be an indoor station for SunRail, Amtrak and CSfreakinX mile long freight trains in any office buildings or hotels.   Even if FDOT was high and said "Whatever" it's just a terrible idea all around.   

"Why stay at the Contemporary Resort when you can have the full diesel experience"

• Like 1

12 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

Another article in OBJ states that phase II will have an indoor station for Sunrail, comparing it to NYC's Central Station??? I think there is a lot of hyperbole in that quote from the developer but still is nice to hear they are thinking BIG

Yeah.  The OBJ is smoking crack.  Central Station as in Grand Central Station.  No such thing down here in downtown.  And to boot, there aren't any trains connected to it's lobby anyway; they are below grade.  Not the case here.  I presume an overhang and maybe closed in area with doors that open to the rail platform on the other side at most.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Yeah.  The OBJ is smoking crack.  Central Station as in Grand Central Station.  No such thing down here in downtown.  And to boot, there aren't any trains connected to it's lobby anyway; they are below grade.  Not the case here.  I presume an overhang and maybe closed in area with doors that open to the rail platform on the other side at most.

so MAYBE something along the lines of winter park's station?

On April 20, 2017 at 11:17 PM, prahaboheme said:

Especially as the first floor isn't built out, it's just used for storage, would increase usable space.

I'm thinking something similar to what Lake Mary was hoping to do but much taller.   A first floor lobby/concourse/atrium that has retail uses that compliment hotel goers as well as train riders which is pretty easy (coffee, grab and go food,  etc 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

Per the OBJ:

General contractor Austin Commercial LP was issued a permit last week valued at $10.8 million to begin work on “foundation and first-floor structural columns”

Woah - is this happening? With Modera, Citi and now this - that's quite an addition to our skyline. 

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

Per the OBJ:

General contractor Austin Commercial LP was issued a permit last week valued at $10.8 million to begin work on “foundation and first-floor structural columns”

Jernigan, help me out here. Since this is OBJ, should we take it seriously or put it in the "7-star" hotel box?

• Like 1