Church Street Plaza | 28-Story Office/Hotel [Phase 1 Under Construction]

bic

31 minutes ago, Dale said:

I realize this is hemlock for urbanists, but that interchange is going to be an attraction in itself.

The interchange does go a long way to make our downtown look more like a typically successful Sunbelt city. Those who bemoan our lack of height downtown should consider this a heckuva consolation prize.

5 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The interchange does go a long way to make our downtown look more like a typically successful Sunbelt city. Those who bemoan our lack of height downtown should consider this a heckuva consolation prize.

The loss of Anderson as a downtown street over the last decade continues bother me. 

I must agree with sunshine on this - a massive amount of wasted space by FDOT. 

9 minutes ago, Ivanhoe said:

The loss of Anderson as a downtown street over the last decade continues bother me. 

I must agree with sunshine on this - a massive amount of wasted space by FDOT. 

Where did Anderson go? I drove on it this morning from Division to Rosalind. I'm confused -  are you talking about the exit from I4 ?

43 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Where did Anderson go? I drove on it this morning from Division to Rosalind. I'm confused -  are you talking about the exit from I4 ?

Anderson is a victim of progress. When was the last time you walked down it?

Instead of making it more urban, it’s become more hostile for pedestrians as a result of the ultimate I-4 redesign.

Edited by Ivanhoe

10 minutes ago, Ivanhoe said:

Anderson is a victim of progress. When was the last time you walked down it?

Instead of making it more urban, it’s become more hostile for pedestrians as a result of the ultimate I-4 redesign.

Anderson St.? Apparently, we have very different memories. I don't recall it being anything but an autocentric racetrack since it was made a one-way pair with South St in the '60's and especially once construction of the East-West began in the early '70's. Obviously, I'm missing something.

As someone who walks almost everywhere downtown from the Y on Mills to Hamburger Mary's on W. Church St. (I live on Eola Dr.,) I'm all about ped-friendly streets. I can't recall Anderson St. being one of those in my lifetime.

• Thanks 3

44 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Anderson St.? Apparently, we have very different memories. I don't recall it being anything but an autocentric racetrack since it was made a one-way pair with South St in the '60's and especially once construction of the East-West began in the early '70's. Obviously, I'm missing something.

As someone who walks almost everywhere downtown from the Y on Mills to Hamburger Mary's on W. Church St. (I live on Eola Dr.,) I'm all about ped-friendly streets. I can't recall Anderson St. being one of those in my lifetime.

I’m just suggesting it’s gone from bad to worse. A concept surely you can understand. This is hardly a controversial opinion.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ivanhoe said:

I’m just suggesting it’s gone from bad to worse. A concept surely you can understand. This is hardly a controversial opinion.

You mean that the prior alignment of Anderson had it at grade with an intersection with Garland, right, whereas now it's an overpass?

My take on streets like Anderson and Garland and Hughey is that if these streets are a feeder to an expressway, they're a lost cause.  They are "racetracks" as Spencer1058 stated. 

Add to that Magnolia/Rosalind...it's really a shame, but that's just how it goes.

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1