Church Street Plaza | 28-Story Office/Hotel [Phase 1 Under Construction]

bic

15 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

Redevelopment to existing buildings can be done that enhance them rather than destroy history.

If 55W were the threshold for whether Orlando should ever change, the city would have given up years ago.

Church Street Market only dates to the late ‘80’s, which makes Orlando Fashion Square 15 years older (and Colonial Plaza dates back to 1956.) I’m not sure that’s historic yet. 

It’s a good space, though and I think, like prahaboheme suggests, it could become more urban by adding some vertical features to it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Even though CSM is not a historic building only dating back to 1989, I would not support tearing it down. If they could put a couple of floors on top of it like they did with the old JC Penney on Orange Ave, while keeping the same look it has now, I'd be all for that.

I’d support an updated, more timeless look than what is there now.  Id also support the addition of roof deck style design for the bridge over Church Street. That could provide a unique restaurant / bar space with great downtown views.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

I’d support an updated, more timeless look than what is there now.  Id also support the addition of roof deck style design for the bridge over Church Street. That could provide a unique restaurant / bar space with great downtown views.

It always fascinated me that, for a unique feature like the space over Church Street, the restaurant selected for the space was an Olive Garden.

I guess we have to applaud Orlando for embracing equality with an eatery accessible to the masses (and this being Darden’s hometown probably played a part) but it did seem rather generic.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

It always fascinated me that, for a unique feature like the space over Church Street, the restaurant selected for the space was an Olive Garden.

I guess we have to applaud Orlando for embracing equality with an eatery accessible to the masses (and this being Darden’s hometown probably played a part) but it did seem rather generic.

I wonder if OG was "selected" or if they were just the only company who agreed to the landlord's terms. Also, back in 1989 when CSM opened, downtown Orlando wasn't yet too chic for an Olive Garden. Aamof, I'm not so sure it is now. They could put a Golden Corral up there as far as I'm concerned.

5 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I wonder if OG was "selected" or if they were just the only company who agreed to the landlord's terms. Also, back in 1989 when CSM opened, downtown Orlando wasn't yet too chic for an Olive Garden. Aamof, I'm not so sure it is now. They could put a Golden Corral up there as far as I'm concerned.

Moo?

3 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

I like the red brick, arches and turrets. Kinda medieval looking. I like that.

A good friend of mine back when the place was u/c was a mason who worked on that site. He did, among other things, all the red brick around the clock face up in the corner. I think most of the other work he did was on the north side that got torn down for 55W.

1 minute ago, spenser1058 said:

Moo?

Moo who???

2 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I like the red brick, arches and turrets. Kinda medieval looking. I like that.

A good friend of mine back when the place was u/c was a mason who worked on that site. He did, among other things, all the red brick around the clock face up in the corner. I think most of the other work he did was on the north side that got torn down for 55W.

Moo who???

Moo goo gai pan - we could use more Chinese downtown.

3 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I was never a fan of Sonny's.

A good steak house would be cool there.

Non-Golden Corral, that is.

Something a bit more upscale.

Since Kres is right there, I’m guessing that might not work.

Just now, spenser1058 said:

JRS and dcluley would like Sonny’s since it’s from Gainesville even though it’s a spin-off of Fat Boy’s from Brevard.

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

JRS and dcluley would like Sonny’s since it’s from Gainesville even though it’s a spin-off of Fat Boy’s from Brevard.

Would that be the same Fat Boys of Kissimmee and St Cloud? Still the best baked beans in Florida.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Yep. Fat Boy’s was sort of The Godfather of ‘cue In Florida although it all got franchised pretty sloppily.

I remember eating at Fat Boy's a few times when I was a kid over in Bree-vard.

39 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Red Lobster would be ok if that’s the best seafood we can get. I still miss city fish in TP. Since their HQ is right around the corner it would make sense. 

And we were talking about that level or grade of restaurant.

I could count the number of times I've eaten at RL on one hand. Even if they put one in that bridge thing over Church St, I'd never eat there anyway.

I suppose that's at the heart of the reason why I don't care much what goes in there.

Now if they put a Burger King in there...

Different story!!!! :P

18 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I could count the number of times I've eaten at RL on one hand. Even if they put one in that bridge thing over Church St, I'd never eat there anyway.

I suppose that's at the heart of the reason why I don't care much what goes in there.

Now if they put a Burger King in there...

Different story!!!! :P

How ‘bout a Chick-Fil-A or Cracker Barrel to keep JRS and Dale safe from all the wild-eyed liberals like me downtown? *giggles*

2 minutes ago, jgardnerucf said:

The downtown Burger King lasted 3 months! Lol

We lost that mainly because Manny Garcia sold his BK franchise back to corporate, sadly.

I sort of wish the Smiths would open a Beefy King downtown but after going to the one on Bumby for 50 years, it probably wouldn’t be the same.

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

How ‘bout a Chick-Fil-A or Cracker Barrel to keep JRS and Dale safe from all the wild-eyed liberals like me downtown? *giggles*

People like JRS and I don’t seek to ignore or avoid people based on political ideology. But that doesn’t mean I’m liking fish tacos.

Spenser1058 laughs at my previous comment, but I wasn't being 100% facetious.

Some sort of mall food court type of eating space would be kind of a cool thing to have around that area. 

If not in the bridge thing, then in The Exchange where there actually used to be a small food court on the east end of the second floor.

Of course this time, make one entire floor of the building a food court with every fast food outlet imaginable.

Hea - ven!!!!! :w00t: