Church Street Plaza | 28-Story Office/Hotel [Phase 1 Under Construction]

bic

20 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

As much as it shames me to say it, I've never been there.... :(

Bok Tower rocks! (I’m a member). It’s located atop the highest point in peninsular Florida and it’s easy to imagine you’re not in Florida at all.

It seems improbable that you could combine gothic with deco and achieve such an attractive monument, but they did it. The result is phenomenal.

250px-Bok_Tower.png

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, NJBlake said:

what is peninsular Florida, btw. That distinction always confused me, but not enough to look it up. 

I believe it's the Gunhandle (with the barrel being where Tally & Pensacola are; or Panhandle.  Michigan has the UP, which is north of the mitten.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NJBlake said:

what is peninsular Florida, btw. That distinction always confused me, but not enough to look it up. 

Basically, the part of the state that runs north to south. In terms of political geography, what was known as East Florida.

It’s in contrast to the Panhandle or West Florida which runs east to west and which borders Georgia or Alabama.

As to the exact line where that occurs, that’s mostly in the eye of the beholder.

If you're Going north on I-75, Gainesville would be in Peninsular Florida but Lake City would not.

Put another way, as the old saying goes, “anything north of Ocala is Southern and anything south of there is Northern.”

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Yeah, the panhandle of any state (that has one) is always a skinny extension akin to the handle of a frying pan, whereas a peninsula is the part that sticks out into a body of water.

panhandlemap.jpg

I think Oklahoma has the most obvious example of a panhandle.

Florida might be the only state that has both.

• Like 1

Bok Tower does indeed rock, and if you have never been there, you should make a day trip out of it.  

It is not the highest point in Peninsular Florida, however.  That distinction would belong to SugarLoaf "Mountain" west of Lake Apopka on the Lake Wales Ridge. Nothing interesting there, however, other than a road straight up it. Decent challenge for cyclists, though. 
Sugarloaf-Mountain-the-toughest-climb-of-the-ride.jpg.512457ead78baa6828cf9f081468908c.jpg

Highest point in Florida is Britton Hill in the Panhandle. 

41 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Yeah, the panhandle of any state (that has one) is always a skinny extension akin to the handle of a frying pan, whereas a peninsula is the part that sticks out into a body of water.

Florida might be the only state that has both.

Maryland has both a panhandle and the DelMarVa Peninsula.  .  . 

Thus concludes my random facts for the day. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/23/2019 at 9:52 AM, JFW657 said:

They've been on there since the early stages of construction. They move them up with the construction as the height increases, similar to the cranes. Apparently to keep construction debris and equipment from falling on to the tracks and adjacent buildings.

I knew the blue ones have been moving up.  I'm talking about the gray ones on Garland which appear to be in between glass parts.  Is that for debris too?

According to the architectural plans and renderings, there will be permanent metal screening on areas of the building covering the garage section of the pedestal. Not sure if what is there now is meant to be permanent, but the plans call for solid screening with no gaps showing the garage/ramps, so what is visible currently is obviously not what it will look like in final complete form. The gaps would not show in the end. It is tough to say whether this is what the final screen will be with the gaps filled in, or is just temporary until the final system is installed. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

According to the architectural plans and renderings, there will be permanent metal screening on areas of the building covering the garage section of the pedestal. Not sure if what is there now is meant to be permanent, but the plans call for solid screening with no gaps showing the garage/ramps, so what is visible currently is obviously not what it will look like in final complete form. The gaps would not show in the end. It is tough to say whether this is what the final screen will be with the gaps filled in, or is just temporary until the final system is installed. 

The more blue the better!

On 1/21/2019 at 9:47 PM, spenser1058 said:

I suppose I’m a horrible gay person for hating a color as fabulous as teal but it just is so not me (and wasn’t even in the ‘80’s when I watched Dynasty religiously).

Anyone have this conversation with Weezer this week being that they just released the teal album yesterday?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Good angle - The east facing facade seems to be making a modern nod to Lincoln and CNL. I was more concerned about this facade than the western facing glass one, but now it seems to be turning out better.

Good cross street view. I like seeing our east/west cross streets "densing up" so that the only interesting views aren't just the ones looking up or down Orange Avenue.

I always try to look at those kinds of cross street views, or pics of them, through the eyes of someone who doesn't live around here or has never been here before, and try to consider what my impression is of the kind or size of city Orlando is.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Passing through the City Beautiful today (what's up with clouds and mid 50s i am tourist LOL) but here are some shots of your newest skyscraper.  I will post some more in other categories.  Today. 

IMG_8948.JPG

IMG_8951.JPG

IMG_8959.JPG

IMG_8960.JPG

Welcome! I always enjoy your posts in some of the other rooms. Great pics, btw!

January used to be one of the dry months in Orlando- that seems to be changing over the last few years due to serendipity from Mother Nature or climate change or whatever.

In any case, it’s all relative. Apparently Chicago had a wind chill of -65 yesterday, which makes me feel better. Schadenfreude and all that <eg> (I have to throw in big words now and then to keep up  with dcluley *giggles*.

Anyway, the way it’s supposed to work is that the cold weather takes a powder before Speed Weeks at Daytona. Since we’re supposed to get to 80 this weekend and the races crank up in the next couple of weeks, the chamber of commerce is content.

Hope you’re having a great time with us!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1