Church Street Plaza | 28-Story Office/Hotel [Phase 1 Under Construction]

bic

22 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Definitely, but he did leave one bank out of the Atlantic Bank, First Union, Wachovia, Wells Fargo line of succession.

wallstplzmid80s.jpg

I remember that one because I still have the checking account I opened with Atlantic Bank in 1986.

*sings, “Do even better for yourself and let the Atlantic Banks help*.*

When they first rolled out their ATMs (the Atlantic Bankaround) in the mid-70’s, they had Leonard Nimoy as their spokesman and he beamed in using a totally cheesy fade.

BTW, the former Atlantic Bank tower (20 N. Orange) is a smaller version of what was their corporate HQ in Jacksonville. It was  replicated in a few cities across the state in varying heights, including Daytona (on Seabreeze Blvd.)

Here’s an ad from a few years later (1980):

Also, the Orlando tower was originally supposed to be built squarely on the corner. Mayor Bill, always big on the details, suggested turning it diagonal and having a small Plaza in front. 

One other thing - when the tower was built, the Atlantic Bank name was spelled out atop all four sides.

In the mid to late ‘80’s, Mayor Bill and others decided having so much square footage go to signage was tacky.

An ordinance was introduced limiting signage to just a couple of small logos.

First Union, which had by then bought Atlantic, protested and threatened to put signs on top that said just “FU”.

A compromise was quickly struck and that’s why you now see CenterState’s signs just on the two sides facing I4 instead of all 4.

Local politics were much more fun then...

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

BTW, the former Atlantic Bank tower (20 N. Orange) is a smaller version of what was their corporate HQ in Jacksonville. It was  replicated in a few cities across the state in varying heights, including Daytona (on Seabreeze Blvd.)

Also, the Orlando tower was originally supposed to be built squarely on the corner. Mayor Bill, always big on the details, suggested turning it diagonal and having a small Plaza in front. 

One other thing - when the tower was built, the Atlantic Bank name was spelled out atop all four sides.

In the mid to late ‘80’s, Mayor Bill and others decided having so much square footage go to signage was tacky.

An ordinance was introduced limiting signage to just a couple of small logos.

First Union, which had by then bought Atlantic, protested and threatened to put signs on top that said just “FU”.

A compromise was quickly struck and that’s why you now see CenterState’s signs just on the two sides facing I4 instead of all 4.

Yep. Knew all that. 

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Definitely, but he did leave one bank out of the Atlantic Bank, First Union, Wachovia, Wells Fargo line of succession.

wallstplzmid80s.jpg

I remember that one because I still have the checking account I opened with Atlantic Bank in 1986.

Two things:

1.  great find for the historic photo

2.  Atlantic Bank has a very similar building in Daytona from the same era as well.  Maybe they had the same architect and wanted continuity.  There is a building in Jax and elsewhere in Fla that have this general design.

3.  I said two, right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^^

now that is a great photo!

On 3/20/2019 at 2:52 PM, spenser1058 said:

*sings, “Do even better for yourself and let the Atlantic Banks help*.*

When they first rolled out their ATMs (the Atlantic Bankaround) in the mid-70’s, they had Leonard Nimoy as their spokesman and he beamed in using a totally cheesy fade.

BTW, the former Atlantic Bank tower (20 N. Orange) is a smaller version of what was their corporate HQ in Jacksonville. It was  replicated in a few cities across the state in varying heights, including Daytona (on Seabreeze Blvd.)

Here’s an ad from a few years later (1980):

Also, the Orlando tower was originally supposed to be built squarely on the corner. Mayor Bill, always big on the details, suggested turning it diagonal and having a small Plaza in front. 

One other thing - when the tower was built, the Atlantic Bank name was spelled out atop all four sides.

An ordinance was introduced limiting signage to just a couple of small logos.

A compromise was quickly struck and that’s why you now see CenterState’s signs just on the two sides facing I4 instead of all 4.

not to derail the thread, but a bad ass Nimoy was...

• Like 1

Was at United We Brunch this morning at the Ballroom and got to see this building up close for the first time. While not overly tall and imposing, it looked pretty nice and fit in well with the surroundings. I don’t think this will be an amazing addition to the skyline and it’s kind of in a weird, non-walkable spot but I’m hoping it helps extend the CBD to the south.

35E487CA-4E71-4FC1-A37C-7470D2D097C9.jpeg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Target headquarters in Minneapolis is a tall one - maybe we can convince them to move to the warmer weather.

Tall but kinda boxy and plain looking. And the logo isn't even on it.

7336.jpg?width=384

I would hope they'd do something cooler than that down here.

And bring this gal with them....

:wub:

• Haha 1

On 3/23/2019 at 6:05 PM, JFW657 said:

Ditto on the view from I-4 thing.

But that will be the only real visual impact it will have. 

Good enough though.

We needed another big building right off of that road.

408 too.  I was on 408 WB and you can see this building (the top 3-4 floors from the Lake Underhill area and it is really wide...really wide.  when it gains another 4-5 levels it will be much more noticeable.

Imagine the view from 408 EB...

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

408 too.  I was on 408 WB and you can see this building (the top 3-4 floors from the Lake Underhill area and it is really wide...really wide.  when it gains another 4-5 levels it will be much more noticeable.

Imagine the view from 408 EB...

The only problem is that I don't think it's getting that many more floors.

I think it's about one or two floors from completion.

Minus the hat, that is.

On 3/24/2019 at 1:59 PM, Pieson said:

Looking from parramore, it’s impresive the impact this is starting to have !

981D9CC9-90B9-4277-B1C3-E6C5B8D04BD3.jpeg

Just curious- is that your Lime bike? 

It always creeps me out to see them just randomly sitting anywhere throughout the city. it reminds me of like a zombie apocalypse with people leaving them wherever they last were.

1 hour ago, Xander said:

Just curious- is that your Lime bike? 

It always creeps me out to see them just randomly sitting anywhere throughout the city. it reminds me of like a zombie apocalypse with people leaving them wherever they last were.

It "reminds" you, eh?

limedead3.jpg

Maybe there's a reason for that..... :blink:

• Haha 2