Church Street Plaza | 28-Story Office/Hotel [Phase 1 Under Construction]

bic

10 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

I had an excuse to come down I-4 from the east heading westbound towards my Wadeview digs, and this things looks great from that direction as well.  Not squatty at all imo.  It's only the 408 viewpoint that isn't great.

I think the main point about this building that I didn't consider before in my analysis (and rant) is it's unconventional location; it's not on Central, Church, Pine, Rosalind, Magnolia, or Orange Ave's.  Rather, it's on what is otherwise considered the corner of two expressway access roads (South St & Garland Ave).  That is unique.  And getting a building of this size at such an unconventional location is pretty much a first for Orlando which is a big "growth" point when analyzing downtown. 

Filling empty parking lots is a big plus.  But getting a structure of this type at this of all locations, is another plus in and of itself.  It is in essence developing a property that doesn't fit the profile of having a high probability of ever getting developed because of where it is (unlike the corner of Livingston & Orange, but let's not talk about that...LOL).

I would add that Sunrail's presence had everything to do with this project getting built, but as we've learned, it is Phase II that will incorporate the Sunrail platform (if and when it gets built), so maybe not.

• Like 2

I keep waiting for something I’m apparently missing. From a pedestrian point of view, walking along Garland Ave. or South St. is pretty oppressive. Hopefully there’s some back access to Church St. I don’t know about; otherwise, I’d much rather be at Citrus Center or the current SunTrust and Lincoln buildings on Orange.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

WeWork loves to put their name on buildings and since SunTrust is vacating 125K sq ft in their current building I would say yes 70K is enough for the WeWork name to go up on the building.  As for WeWork is about time they open other locations in Florida all have been in Miami Dade like they forgot there were other cities in the state.  Their Tampa location will open next year too. 

from Business Journal subscriber article

""The lease is a coup for the building’s landlord, Atlanta-based based Piedmont Office Realty Trust Inc. (NYSE: PDM), whose leasing representative is John Gilbert of JLL. That's because roughly 125,000 square feet of office space will open up in the building after Atlanta-based SunTrust Banks Inc. (NYSE: STI) moves its Orlando headquarters in August 2019 into the $125 million, 28-story SunTrust Plaza at Church Street Station being built by Lincoln Property Co. No other tenants have been announced to backfill the space.""

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, if wework is taking 60% of SunTrusts space, I don’t see anyone else having more unless they lose more tenants and someone sweeps it all up.

Also, FAIRWINDS and Fifth Third don’t have much space in their respective towers, albeit smaller than Suntrust Center.

• Thanks 1

Piedmont, as previously announced, is in process of major upgrades in the old SunTrust building including full lobby renovation, activating the park area, new rooftop terrace and, much to the anticipation of Andy, a food hall.

Is this the correct place to put comments on the old Sun building?

BTW, I rather like my new shade of purple.

• Like 1

I think we were putting them in the general Downtown Project discussion because there wasn't a specific thread for the reno work. 

Bids went in for the lobby and the outside rooftop deck this week. This was like the first 3 floors and was about $10 M worth of work. They have not bid the interior finish space that WeWork will be going into yet.