Church Street Plaza | 28-Story Office/Hotel [Phase 1 Under Construction]

bic

I remember when AT&T was split up in to the Baby Bells in 1984, many in the branding community joked about the lack of originality between the legacy names, Southern Bell/South Central Bell and the new spin-off name, BELLSOUTH (compared to totally new names like Verizon). In fact, the firm kept the old names in general use for a decade or more before consolidating into BELLSOUTH.

If Truist is indicative of the marketing talent in Atlanta and Charlotte, at least now we know why the local Bell affiliate was so uninspired. Talk about sad...

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, AmIReal said:

I rather like it...

Just kidding. That was my against the grain dculey impersonation regarding their new building- which I am begrudgingly learning to appreciate.

Daniel is such a nice boy even when he makes me crazy *giggles*.

I still think he was one of the guys on The Big Bang Theory and just isn’t telling us.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

Truist is hardly beloved on Wall St. - let’s not forget Atlanta was also the home of “New” Coke...

Heck, they should have left the HQ in Orlando - we could have done better than that!

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/06/13/truist-name-for-bbt-suntrust-bank-lampooned-by-analysts-customers.html

From CNBC

Edited by spenser1058

31 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Truist is hardly beloved on Wall St. - let’s not forget Atlanta was also the home of “New” Coke...

Heck, they should have left the HQ in Orlando - we could have done better than that!

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/06/13/truist-name-for-bbt-suntrust-bank-lampooned-by-analysts-customers.html

From CNBC

Truist Financial?  What's worse, that, or "Camping World Stadium?"

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Touché.

Actually,, no, I think they both stink.  But now I'm used to CWS...so it's not as shockingly Bithlo anymore...

(Note:  "Bithlo" is also an adjective in my lexicon)

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I'm guessing they didn't do any focus groups or market research on the name, otherwise they likely would've found that it's universally hated.

dcluley’s from down in Manatee County so maybe he can get Tropicana to call with advice for screwups like this...

Pick your favorite choice for silliest corporate name:

(A) Tronc (the company that owns the Sentinel- thank God it’s changed now to Tribune Publishing);

(B) Fifth Third Bank (they get credit for their slogan, though - “banking that’s a Fifth/Third better!”);

(C) Truist.

Feel free to weigh in with other favorites.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/06/13/business/truist-bank-suntrust-bbt/index.html

From CNN

One thing’s certain - there’s a certain amount of appropriateness that goes with putting a name like Truist on a building that looks like The Piano. Maybe someone leaked the name to Lincoln...

11 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Plus, they haven't changed their name or ownership since their inception as a credit card company back in the 80's.

I believe they were originally affiliated with Sears. 

Yep, Sears created them as part of their “financial supermarket”. Ironically, because their leaders paid more attention to financial stuff than mundane old retail, it helped to lead to the demise of Sears. The Brennan brothers managed to do in both Sears and Monkey Ward. The family that wrecks together...

Discover was also the first rewards card.

Edited by spenser1058

15 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Plus, they haven't changed their name or ownership since their inception as a credit card company back in the 80's.

I believe they were originally affiliated with Sears. 

They have changed ownership a couple of times but seem to be pretty settled these days.