Church Street Plaza | 28-Story Office/Hotel [Phase 1 Under Construction]

bic

So.... SunTrust and BB&T are being sued by Truliant, a Winston-Salem credit union, for trying to use a name too similar to theirs.

Keep in mind, BB&T is currently headquartered in... Winston-Salem

If you’re going to use someone else’s name, it’s always best to make it a good one, don’t ya think?

Stay tuned...

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Maybe we'll get a reprieve from that awful name yet!!!! :thumbsup:

I bet Warm Happy Feel Good Bank is still available... :rolleyes:

This reminds me of when NBC rolled out a truly boring “N” logo that turned out to be almost identical to Nebraska Public Television’s.

Thankfully, they went back to the drawing board and came up with the peacock which they’d had available all along (it was originally used in the ‘60’s to announce which programs were “in living color” on the network.)

Maybe walking away from this fiasco will still be a positive.

https://images.app.goo.gl/n1ra5iKwiczwaN3j7

https://youtu.be/HIxGyrQz_e8

Edited by spenser1058

On 5/28/2019 at 2:20 PM, spenser1058 said:

Orlando Fashion Square is more “historic” than either the Ballroom or the Orchid Garden (well, maybe not if you’re a big fan of Paris Hilton).

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-downtown-orchid-garden-renovated-20140926-post.html?outputType=amp

From the Sentinel 

It’s interesting I spent more time at Lincoln’s Church Street Market than at Bob Snow’s CSS and Exchange.

Boston Market, checking out the trinkets at Brookstone (also convenient when you needed a hammer living downtown even if a tad pricy because it was over-engineered)), B. Dalton Bookseller.

I was never a fan of OG but the Market location was just fun because you sat over the road.

CSS always struck me as touristy and overpriced so other than the occasional Nickel Beer Night at Rosie’s, I did my drinking at Valentyne’s on Orange Avenue and Mulvaney’s on Church St. (and the happy hours on Fridays in Tampa).

I would say I was in a minority but the thing folks miss about CSS is, once PI and City Walk came along, why did they just cede their  entire business to the bars along Orange Ave (who figured out the local business could be as lucrative as the tourists) and not adapt to the new reality?

I think it was in part the fact it was owned by an out of town utility at the end. Isn’t it odd though that Bob Snow walked away from his projects in Pensacola, Orlando and Vegas rather than staying and changing as required? The veneration in some quarters to this day escapes me.

I keep waiting for Paul Harvey to tell me “The Rest of the Story” but I keep getting older and no one ever does. It’s a lost little snippet of our history.

11 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I did my drinking at Valentyne’s on Orange Avenue and Mulvaney’s on Church St.

Bailey's on Church, Kate's on Central and late night spiked coffee at Harold and Maude's.

11 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The veneration in some quarters to this day escapes me.

Agreed, but he certainly did create the atmosphere on Church for most of a decade. Got to give him credit for that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Agreed, but he certainly did create the atmosphere on Church for most of a decade. Got to give him credit for that.

More like well over two decades.

I remember driving over here to Orlando from Merritt Island in 1978 with a van load of my Pizza Hut co-workers just to visit Rosie's. Then a few more times with my girlfriend and another couple around the same time period.

And that was despite the astronomical admission price of $2.50!!!!! 

Then it was Nickel Beer Night and Membership Night with my UCF roommates after moving over here in the early 80's.