Church Street Plaza | 28-Story Office/Hotel [Phase 1 Under Construction]

bic

1 hour ago, codypet said:

They're planning on squeezing a platform there when they demo the ballroom right?  Why did they make it a solid wall facing the train station then instead of having a lobby.  Is all the BOH access on the other side if that wall?

I was wondering the same thing. Makes me wonder how they're going to accomplish the whole "Grand Central Station inspired lobby" if they have a wall of concrete to greet you at the platform. I wonder Phase II/T2 will look like at platform level. Would have been nice if they were able to connect to the ballroom, or open up the backside of the ballroom to get the GCS look and build Phase II over the existing structure. This is the only rendering of the platform lobby that LPC has released so far:

Platform.thumb.jpg.1209a92f22433ba0faf70802a64bea9f.jpg

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, codypet said:

They're planning on squeezing a platform there when they demo the ballroom right?  Why did they make it a solid wall facing the train station then instead of having a lobby.  Is all the BOH access on the other side if that wall?

This makes me think the ENTIRE reason why the building is so wide is to specifically build it around the concept of being the southbound platform. That's a lot to base an entire highrise around, but.....

18 minutes ago, Xander said:

This makes me think the ENTIRE reason why the building is so wide is to specifically build it around the concept of being the southbound platform. That's a lot to base an entire highrise around, but.....

I would imagine the dimensions of the parcel were the main factor in determining the footprint of the building. Given the way it fills the entire thing up.

• Like 2

I was about to type I'm not sure how well glass doors and windows right on the ground floor of the lobby would have been with the rumbling of the train, but, I am pretty sure the first 20 or so windows will get a beating too. There is a design flaw here. 

Edited by Jvest55

From the OBJ:

Citrus Club's reported relocation plan is a 'selling point' for new downtown Orlando tower

For those without access:

• The Citrus Club is reportedly considering a move from their current building on S Orange Ave to T2 (aka Phase II of Church St Plaza)
  • Lincoln Properties is in talks with several potential tenants for T2. Baker Barrios is interested in 25,000-30,000 sq ft of office space
Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

From the OBJ:

Citrus Club's reported relocation plan is a 'selling point' for new downtown Orlando tower

For those without access:

• The Citrus Club is reportedly considering a move from their current building on S Orange Ave to T2 (aka Phase II of Church St Plaza)
  • Lincoln Properties is in talks with several potential tenants for T2. Baker Barrios is interested in 25,000-30,000 sq ft of office space

Over the years, this has come up before and it has always stalled. Admittedly, if anyone has the clout for it to happen, Lincoln does (side note: a competing club was also once proposed atop the Copper Whopper but abandoned ship before First Florida Bank ever became an anchor).

What we can say is that it would definitely change the pecking order of the downtown towers (of course, it’s easy to say that has already happened with all the anchor shifts lately). Citrus Center has remained a sought after location despite being older (1971) and short because of the Citrus Club.

In the world of the Downtown Crowd, this matters.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

The truth is that Orlando’s strong mayor form of government means the mayor not only appoints the members of things like the ARB and the HPB but also guides staff and the city council toward desired results in the city.

Bottom line: Bulldozer Buddy has never shown the slightest interest in design features of the city or how neighborhoods develop. 

If you want someone who cares about such things (Mayor Bill was good on the former, Mayor Glenda on the latter), you have to elect them. Meanwhile, we’re about to have our latest coronation this November with almost no competition for mayor.

There’s a lot we can thank Buddy for but after 16 years, if you want changes, what have you done to elect someone who is remotely interested in such things? 

Until the residents of Orlando work together to foster competitive elections, don’t look for changes on these things because the region’s most powerful elected official simply has no interest in them. 

Any thoughts about who might?

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

The truth is that Orlando’s strong mayor form of government means the mayor not only appoints the members of things like the ARB and the HPB but also guides staff and the city council toward desired results in the city.

Bottom line: Bulldozer Buddy has never shown the slightest interest in design features of the city or how neighborhoods develop. 

If you want someone who cares about such things (Mayor Bill was good on the former, Mayor Glenda on the latter), you have to elect them. Meanwhile, we’re about to have our latest coronation this November with almost no competition for mayor.

There’s a lot we can thank Buddy for but after 16 years, if you want changes, what have you done to elect someone who is remotely interested in such things? 

Until the residents of Orlando work together to foster competitive elections, don’t look for changes on these things because the region’s most powerful elected official simply has no interest in them. 

Any thoughts about who might?

I seriously doubt the vast majority of voters or residents in general outside of interest groups and forums like this one, ever even think about or have opinions on issues like the design of downtown buildings, or neighborhood development, etc, etc.

I think most people are too busy paying their bills, raising their families, maintaining their social relationships and going about their lives to concern themselves with such minutiae and esoterica. 

Besides, so much of it just comes down to differing opinions anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

Apparently being the fattest / ugliest building in Orlando is a draw? Oh that's right, they are going to T2, a mirror image of that fat beast. 

I don't find this building ugly at its full build out personally. 

I actually think a mirroring tower or taller would look nice in that area. 

• Like 1