Church Street Plaza | 28-Story Office/Hotel [Phase 1 Under Construction]

bic

6 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

My g-d... that building off to the left reminds me of the old WTC :(

As mentioned above it is indeed the same architect and very haunting reminder of the WTC... seeing it In person is humbling and powerful. 

Overall Tulsa has some of the most beautiful and unique architecture I’ve seen.

Its interesting watching the growth of our young city as we don’t have a lot of these elements.    I’m still very bullish in our overall direction  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

I don't know guys, if I can't explain to you all how two different sides of the same building might likely be the same model, but looking at two different sides, then I don't know what to say. 

Hold on for a second...

It is two different sides, yes,  but in the magazine rendering, the viewer assumes that the "cut outs" on each set of staggered floor levels comprised of 2-3 stories each, are present from each angle of view.  Unless the side closest to Suntrust and closest to Church Street just doesn't have those "cut outs" seen in the magazine image  and the side closest to Garland and CSP does.  If that's the case, that's pretty f*cked up.  The southern façade is ultra staggered and the northern façade is toned down ultra uniformed with no hint of what the other side looks like, ala those extra "cut outs"...kind of like CSP, now that I think about it,  with the piano key lattice on one side and glass on the other.

You may be right, though, because I just noticed on the top floor, you can tell from the magazine rendering that the northern side of it does not have one of those "cut outs." like the SW corner does, which is congruent with the other rendering. So, if that's how it is all the way down, then, yes, I see that now. 

Dare I invoke Lieutenant Commander Data when I say...Fascinating...

Quite frankly, I don't think any of us can unequivocally state that is the same basic design or not until we see full renderings of all sides of the building. I'm of the opinion it is the same basic design, but I said "likely" from the same model given the visual cues.  

And to add to that, it is all conceptual at this point in time and a moot argument, because it will surely change over time going through the design development and board review process, and as you all state, the change will likely be for the detriment of the building and the benefit of cost reduction. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

I think you guys are getting catfished, but whatever. It's all in fun, but it would be nice to be able to take bets. Or a poll to compare opinions when we finally do get those official renderings lol.

Yes, we know the vantage points are from Garland vs Sunrail. I made no assumptions about the cutouts, but the glass facade/style seems to have been standardized which is why I suggested the building had been VE'd (glass is usually one of the first design elements to be standardized in order to save money). I wouldn't be surprised if they've already been through several renderings at this point. They could easily perform their own preliminary VE in-house since they would be familiar with current construction costs & financing required to pull off a project like this.

10 hours ago, Pieson said:

That's home town. It’s an interesting downtown with unique history, with incredible preserved Art Deco and distinct architectural elements.  Also much taller buildings... yet the downtown life is a fraction of what we have.  I’ve seen this across many mid major cities across the US.  

FBB81B0C-DDA1-420A-8E02-9D113C4A5C3B.jpeg

I lived in Downtown Tulsa for 2 years.  Loved it.  Vaired Skyline?  Sure...  But pretty boring outside of the BOK Tower (mini-WTC) and the MAYO building (their version of Angelbilt) I'd argue ours is more impressive.  Somehow 95% of my pictures from 2010-2012 are lost, or else I'd share a few cool shots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Tulsa,_Oklahoma  2, 8, and 9 aren't downtown.  The rest are just plain boxes except for one like the Google building in NYC that's a whole block.

Also, it's really bugging me I can't figure out what rooftop that picture is taken from

8 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

My g-d... that building off to the left reminds me of the old WTC :(

Yeah, the original plan was to make 4 quarter size WTCs, but it became too costly, so they made a single one half the height in a quarter of the footprint.

Back to the phase 2 building...

I think the main difference is that the south facing side has a terrace and what looks to be some kind of restaurant or club adjacent to it about halfway up, similar to the one on the rooftop.

Aside from that, both sides are pretty much the same.

46 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Quite frankly, I don't think any of us can unequivocally state that is the same basic design or not until we see full renderings of all sides of the building. I'm of the opinion it is the same basic design, but I said "likely" from the same model given the visual cues.  

And to add to that, it is all conceptual at this point in time and a moot argument, because it will surely change over time going through the design development and board review process, and as you all state, the change will likely be for the detriment of the building and the benefit of cost reduction. 

Keep in mind, the original design of the phase one brohawk building stayed pretty much the same from the first rendering through the start of construction.

Edited by JFW657

25 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

I lived in Downtown Tulsa for 2 years.  Loved it.  Vaired Skyline?  Sure...  But pretty boring outside of the BOK Tower (mini-WTC) and the MAYO building (their version of Angelbilt) I'd argue ours is more impressive.  Somehow 95% of my pictures from 2010-2012 are lost, or else I'd share a few cool shots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Tulsa,_Oklahoma  2, 8, and 9 aren't downtown.  The rest are just plain boxes except for one like the Google building in NYC that's a whole block.

Also, it's really bugging me I can't figure out what rooftop that picture is taken from

Yeah, the original plan was to make 4 quarter size WTCs, but it became too costly, so they made a single one half the height in a quarter of the footprint.

Dang. That’s crazy.  I love T town still.   It’s cone a LONG way over the last few years... I visited family there a few months ago and it’s pretty unreal. 

Of note that makes Tulsa especially interesting to us is that our Packing District is following the same blueprints as  Tulsa’s   “The Gathering Place” which was voted best new attraction in America.   Truly spectacular and demonstrates the potential  of the Packing District. My pictures aren’t all that great, but even with miserable conditions out the place was absolutely bustling and gorgeous... totally get that “Central Park” feel.  

Also the rooftop picture is from Welltown Brewing downtown. It’s part of the old industrial area that’s getting revitalized.... 

and yah. Thanks for adding that WTC tidbit. Makes it so very unique.   The security around that building was especially heightened for a long while following 9/11

CB4E2739-B842-45CC-AB45-8F9F06867657.jpeg

B118DA7E-DEDC-41F7-847C-19B6A025555F.jpeg

Not to derail too much here but I’m anxious to see an official release with the new renderings... absolutely love the concept and statement that the first one makes.   I still lament the Tradition Towers... of all projects to die, that is the one I would bring back 

• Like 1

Regarding Tulsa, I noticed only one of the buildings on that Wiki list was built recently. A 255-footer was constructed in 2013. Everything else was built before 2000. Yikes. I guess we may not have Tulsa’s height but at least Orlando’s construction is booming.

EDIT: Booming isn’t the right word. NY and Miami and LA are booming. Orlando is ... sparking?

Edited by Uncommon
  • Like 1

Between 2010-18, the Tulsa MSA grew about 6+ %; Orlando grew 20+ %.

My favorite tower in that area is the only Frank Lloyd Wright skyscraper in Bartlesville. It’s a shame we didn’t get one of those in Lakeland when he did the buildings for FSC.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_Tower

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pieson said:

Dang. That’s crazy.  I love T town still.   It’s cone a LONG way over the last few years... I visited family there a few months ago and it’s pretty unreal. 

Of note that makes Tulsa especially interesting to us is that our Packing District is following the same blueprints as  Tulsa’s   “The Gathering Place” which was voted best new attraction in America.   Truly spectacular and demonstrates the potential  of the Packing District. My pictures aren’t all that great, but even with miserable conditions out the place was absolutely bustling and gorgeous... totally get that “Central Park” feel.  

Also the rooftop picture is from Welltown Brewing downtown. It’s part of the old industrial area that’s getting revitalized.... 

and yah. Thanks for adding that WTC tidbit. Makes it so very unique.   The security around that building was especially heightened for a long while following 9/11

CB4E2739-B842-45CC-AB45-8F9F06867657.jpeg

B118DA7E-DEDC-41F7-847C-19B6A025555F.jpeg

Not to derail too much here but I’m anxious to see an official release with the new renderings... absolutely love the concept and statement that the first one makes.   I still lament the Tradition Towers... of all projects to die, that is the one I would bring back 

Yes, it would be such a shame if this discussion of Tulsa, Oklahoma got derailed by talking about Church St Plaza.  :rolleyes: 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Cheyenne gonna look so weird next to this modern tower.

Juxtapositioning is not necessarily a bad thing. 

The visual effect in this case could turn out to look pretty cool. Something I've noticed in places like NYC where they have ultramodern skyscrapers on the same block as old 1930's red brick buildings.

I like it.

• Like 4