Church Street Plaza | 28-Story Office/Hotel [Phase 1 Under Construction]

bic

2 hours ago, mraurora said:

More and more families with both parents working full time jobs to get by. Lack of time spent with kids. 

That coupled with the fact that nowadays, if a parent so much as looks at their child with too stern of a facial expression or speaks to them in too stern of a tone, they end up being investigated by the local child welfare agency, the local news crews show up at their front door with their cameras, the kid goes into therapy for years then hires a lawyer and sues for emotional damages. 

6 minutes ago, Jvest55 said:

Can somebody help me understand in that PDF, what does the building in phase 3 look like? Phase 2 is the taller building right? 

Sorry I see Orange87 and I have the same question. 

Phase 3A is Cheyenne Saloon and Phase 3B is the rest of the Church St block through Hamburger Mary and is set to become a food hall. Phase 3A will not change the building. Phase 3B says "careful consideration is being taken to maintain the look and feel of this structure."

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2019/10/23/plans-for-church-street-redevelopment-include-bumby-arcade-food-hall-retail-and-office-space?utm_source=feature&utm_medium=home&utm_campaign=hpfeatures&utm_content=HomeTopFeature

Edited by AmIReal
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Phase 3A is Cheyenne Saloon and Phase 3B is the rest of the Church St block through Hamburger Mary and is set to become a food hall. Phase 3A will not change the building. Phase 3B says "careful consideration is being taken to maintain the look and feel of this structure."

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2019/10/23/plans-for-church-street-redevelopment-include-bumby-arcade-food-hall-retail-and-office-space?utm_source=feature&utm_medium=home&utm_campaign=hpfeatures&utm_content=HomeTopFeature

Thank you

• Compatibility of surrounding area - The building will be 74 ft. taller than the adjacent tower under construction on Phase 1 and will also be slightly shorter than the SunTrust tower to the east. As the building is one of the furthest westernmost downtown developments, it will act as a design statement on the west side of the downtown central business district. The ground floor will integrate between all three phases as they will be connected via the SunRail platform. There will be ground floor retail/commercial space that can be accessed though all three phases.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

They mislabeled the elevations (east/west).  The eastern facade of this building will be hideous.  It is going to be a giant bland mass with a wing in it facing downtown in one of the most heavily trafficked corridors .

I'm not sure they "mislabeled" them per se. I've noticed that there seems to be two different methods of assigning directions to elevation drawings, both apparently acceptable. Most of the time they are labeled according to the direction the depicted facade is facing, but I've also seen them labeled according to the way the viewer would be facing while looking at it, which is of course, just the opposite. Kinda weird. One would expect that in such an accuracy and detail oriented field of endeavor, there would only be one rule regarding something like that, but apparently its just one of those "whatever blows your skirt up" kind of propositions.

2 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

I was so excited with the initial rendering. Now I would like to throw up. But hey its the norm in this town...

2 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

How can we make our DT and skyline even uglier?....Hmmmm….I know, lets make TWO giant fat ass buildings to create a wall! (***Lincoln execs nod in approval***)

I never particularly liked the overall design from the first rendering they released, but I'll withhold judgement until I see the completed building.

If the glass and finish materials look OK, it could mitigate the odd looking shape and form to a degree.

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 1

This thing really does look monolithic from the east facade.  Small setbacks would go a long way to lesson it's impact.  I also hope they design the first several floors to have a facade with treatments that help to humanize things a bit (stone, awnings, etc, similar to say, Suntrust).

Edited by prahaboheme

Technically that side is supposed to be the SunRail station, so no idea why it is not shown as such on the rendering.  The GF should continue something of the sort of the Phase 1 overhang with platform and GF retail/amenities for SunRail passengers if that is still the plan.  It really is a head-scratcher. I would also like to see a covered pedestrian sky-bridge over the tracks connecting the building and food hall to the  station on the other side at Church Street Station.

What we are seeing may not be the actual final plan given the lack of details, but it looks pretty cheap and god-awful right now as is.

15 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Technically that side is supposed to be the SunRail station, so no idea why it is not shown as such on the rendering.  The GF should continue something of the sort of the Phase 1 overhang with platform and GF retail/amenities for SunRail passengers if that is still the plan.  It really is a head-scratcher. I would also like to see a covered pedestrian sky-bridge over the tracks connecting the building and food hall to the  station on the other side at Church Street Station.

What we are seeing may not be the actual final plan given the lack of details, but it looks pretty cheap and god-awful right now as is.

"Everything looks worse in black and white." - Paul Simon - Kodachrome - 1973.

Dumb all around.  There appears to be a connection between Phase I and II which I suspected would be the garage connecting through so you could have one ramp for the two buildings.  Nope:  Now you have a ramp running along what should be the Sunrail station lobby should be.  As everyone is correctly pointing out, its an ugly monolith from the track side.  I'm just really shocked there doesn't appear to be any embrace of the Sunrail station, which I thought was the whole point?  I see what appears to be a platform that leads to a doorway that enters the lobby?  Ugh missed opportunity.  Then we get this completely neutered tower design with so much wasted space on the ground floor.   Gross.

• Like 1

The GrowthSpotter article posted a couple of pages back quotes a Baker Barrios spokesman as saying:

“We looked at the site as a metaphor for past, present and future,” he said. The design is meant to evoke the shape of a classic 1920s-era office building from the side that faces the SunRail station and transform into a modern, almost futuristic design at the northern elevation.

“It really has no front or back – it’s all sides,” Dunkleberger said. He said the firm is still adding details to the final design, which will be presented to the Historic Preservation Board later this year.

I don't know. Looking at those most recent perspective drawings, I don't get the impression of "a classic 1920's-era office building".

But then again, you can't really tell too much from black and white drawings. A good, high-res, full color rendering will give a better idea of what they've got planned.

• Like 2

It's very apparent builders only care about the appearance of the building from perspective as you drive by on I4. As for what the building looks like from WITHIN the city, either if you are looking directly up from the Sunrail, or are across town in one of the South Eola high-rises, they are not doing the skyline any favors. Previous buildings were made to look nice form all 4 sides, but not these new buildings, it's a real shame. Hell, even the Dr Philips expansion disregarded the back-side of the building and literally built a HUGE WHITE WALL. How innovative. Idiots. 

Edited by Jvest55

17 hours ago, Jvest55 said:

cheap a-holes couldn't even make it look cool from the back.

IMG_1518.png

if their phase 2 is for sure going to be 440' then why all the dramatic stumpiness of phase 1?  Phase 1 needed a minimum of 5 stories on the slender top portion.  Now, these guys have a 440' phase 2 that looks like BOA but thicker from it's side and back.

10 hours ago, Jvest55 said:

it's a real shame. Hell, even the Dr Philips expansion disregarded the back-side of the building and literally built a HUGE WHITE WALL. How innovative. Idiots. 

Future mid-rise hotel/condo/apts with integrated parking garage over loading dock will cover it right up so no need to worry.

• Like 1