Church Street Plaza | 28-Story Office/Hotel [Phase 1 Under Construction]

bic

17 hours ago, AmIReal said:

That picture just kinda weirds me out... So I don't want to see anyone post about Orlando not having interesting architecture. You are welcome to say ugly architecture, but you can't say its not interesting. 

On a side note, seeing the Cheyenne roofline there looks a little funny.

I was just thinking this. I wouldn't even call it a ugly and it's definitely not pretty but it's surely interesting all of it

20 hours ago, AmIReal said:

That picture just kinda weirds me out... So I don't want to see anyone post about Orlando not having interesting architecture. You are welcome to say ugly architecture, but you can't say its not interesting. 

On a side note, seeing the Cheyenne roofline there looks a little funny.

Actually, I can say that and I will.

If this "Jenga" style design hadn't already been done in other cities, I'd say the one proposed for Church St Plaza looks interesting.

But it's just another fad design. More "McArchitecture", like pretty much everything else we get around here. And in this case, it doesn't really even look all that impressive because of the huge, fat chunky base and the too short upper tower section barely protruding upward.

It looks like something that was made of wet clay that someone dropped straight down from up high, causing the bottom to compress and squish outward, as wet clay objects will do when dropped onto a hard surface.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Actually, I can say that and I will.

If this "Jenga" style design hadn't already been done in other cities, I'd say the one proposed for Church St Plaza looks interesting.

But it's just another fad design. More "McArchitecture", like pretty much everything else we get around here. And in this case, it doesn't really even look all that impressive because of the huge, fat chunky base and the too short upper tower section barely protruding upward.

It looks like something that was made of wet clay that someone dropped straight down from up high, causing the bottom to compress and squish outward, as wet clay objects will do when dropped onto a hard surface.

Ok, you win. Its ugly and not interesting...

heavy sigh

BUT IT IS A BIG DEAL FOR DOWNTOWN ORLANDO!!!

Jobs, financing, living space, retail, etc... if you turn your dial to covert "interesting" to "$" it is easier to like this project.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Ok, you win. Its ugly and not interesting...

heavy sigh

BUT IT IS A BIG DEAL FOR DOWNTOWN ORLANDO!!!

Jobs, financing, living space, retail, etc... if you turn your dial to covert "interesting" to "$" it is easier to like this project.

Aw, shucks.  :blush:

I wasn't looking to win anything, and you are right about the impact.

Also, like phase 1, it will look different from different angles and even under different lighting conditions.

From  Church St around the RR tracks, it should look pretty impressive and imposing.

I just feel like that particular location was not the right spot to put something that's so.... "boxy and blocky"  looking.

Sleek and modern with a more eye-pleasing, universal appeal would've been more in order.

This thing literally looks like a stack of boxes.

G03.jpg

Not the best location to try to get all "avant-garde". 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Aw, shucks.  :blush:

I wasn't looking to win anything, and you are right about the impact.

Also, like phase 1, it will look different from different angles and even under different lighting conditions.

From  Church St around the RR tracks, it should look pretty impressive and imposing.

I just feel like that particular location was not the right spot to put something that's so.... "boxy and blocky"  looking.

Sleek and modern with a more eye-pleasing, universal appeal would've been more in order.

This thing literally looks like a stack of boxes.

G03.jpg

Not the best location to try to get all "avant-garde". 

If it looks like a stack of boxes, maybe Amazon will move in!

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 10:07 PM, JFW657 said:

61C9DAA4-9C09-4E6E-9FDF-394016E170BC.thu

Meh.

I just don't see it.

Too fat and chunky looking on the bottom. 

Maybe so but it fills a great need of density! Personally it looks just fine. Since moving from Pittsburgh 10 years ago, I've learned to temper my expectations for downtown and give it time to become more vertical with more creativity, not just with boxes and visors!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Musikprince said:

Maybe so but it fills a great need of density! Personally it looks just fine. Since moving from Pittsburgh 10 years ago, I've learned to temper my expectations for downtown and give it time to become more vertical with more creativity, not just with boxes and visors!

I agree. I think it looks great! And I’ll take basically anything in Orlando that is over 300 feet. More density is always a good thing.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bqknight said:

FYI - drove past this yesterday and the Suntrust bank in the lobby is Now Open. Not sure if already posted but they have window cling exclaiming so on the outside. 

One thing that struck me as odd is that for the “SunTrust Plaza” sign they used lower case letters even though on SunTrust signs it’s all caps. Since they’re not keeping that name for long, maybe they just didn’t care, but usually marketing folks get their panties in a twist about such a faux pas.

https://images.app.goo.gl/kjZ1xeBgsAmj3LSg7

Oh well, it made me feel retro so I went back to a song they used in ads back in the Sun Bank days...

https://youtu.be/MrHxhQPOO2c

Edited by spenser1058

I like the newest version much better than the last.  The massing is much better and the  unified band element going over the whold building is much more refined.  More symmetrical and balanced overall, but with a bit of the stacked flair of the first.  Plus, it has elements that tie back into the existing Church Street buildings with the fin going horizontal and the pedestal being more traditional than glass for a visual transition.  The Glass penthouse looks amazing, with that top fin reminiscent of the old proposals for  the tallest buildings in Orlando with the Square features.   Plus would interact well with the Brohawk feature. 

New version looks interesting to me. Build it! 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

Not  sure about the bland olive color. . . what if we did something really bold like bright tangerine orange hue. . . I don't think anybody has done that before! 

(Figures I would like Orange and Blue, LOL)

This new version is probably the most interesting building design we have seen in a long while. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dcluley98 said:

Not  sure about the bland olive color. . . what if we did something really bold like bright tangerine orange hue. . . I don't think anybody has done that before! 

(Figures I would like Orange and Blue, LOL)

This new version is probably the most interesting building design we have seen in a long while. 

The colors in the rendering might just be "place holder" colors. 

Given that the exterior wall of every unit of the tower portion above the base is floor to ceiling glass, there is very little concrete on the exterior of the tower. So whatever the main color of the building turns out to be, will be determined by the color of the glass they choose.

Given also that phase 1 is covered with blue glass, the question becomes, will they carry that motif over onto phase 2, or will they opt for a contrasting or complimentary color? And then, what colors of glass wall/window panels are available?

I think a dark, smokey, anodized bronze looking glass with the band element a nice bright red would do nicely. Blue would work on the band too, if they wanted to create a kind of visual tie-in with phase 1.

1 minute ago, prahaboheme said:

I suppose copper is too much to ask for, although aging to a green patina would be a nod to the older CSS buildings next door.

Now if you can just get Buddy to take the sealer off the City Hall dome so it will age also.

I usually liked Mayor Bill’s aesthetic ideas but. not that one. Letting the dome fade to green would give it more gravitas, I think.

• Like 2

I really like the idea of natural patina for the "element"  also.  They could do a Corten Steel cladding for a ruddy orangeish/reddish finish  to complement the blue glass color that is similar to Phase I . 

I sure hope somebody at BB is reading these boards. (though probably not the way we bash them all the time, LOL).  Our opinions are wasted upon the internet. Hahaha. 

• Like 3