Church Street Plaza | 28-Story Office/Hotel [Phase 1 Under Construction]

bic

• 2 weeks later...

Hizzoner Buddy D. was supposed to give his annual State of the City Address today, in which he might have shed some light on the future of Tremont, but unfortunately had to postpone it due to some kind of weather related thing that I forget the nature of right now.

Some guy named Matthew involved somehow.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

Because this project that half of us said wouldn't happen isn't happening?

Regarding the Tremont, I'll hold out for a reliable source who doesn't have a vested interest in it failing and who will not be chastened if it does break ground.

Regarding the state of downtown, other than rental units, service retail and bars, downtown just doesn't have a lot of traction.

25 minutes ago, Dale said:

Regarding the state of downtown, other than rental units, service retail and bars, downtown just doesn't have a lot of traction.

I'd have to respectfully disagree. I think downtown is far more vibrant now than at any point in the 15 years I've lived here. 

On any given day, it seems lively. And that didn't use to be the case.

There's a long way to go, of course. But I think the city has gone a good job of laying the groundwork for making downtown a place people want to be (with the Amway, DPAC, Citrus Bowl Reno, soccer stadium, UCF/Valencia campus, Lymmo improvement, See Art Orlando installations). And, organically over time, people and companies gravitate towards those kinds of places. Traction. Slow, perhaps. But steady traction nonetheless.

Just my 2-cents as a part time urban spaces expert!

• Like 4

^^

Timbuk-3

^^

I agree with what Dale is saying b/c non 7-Eleven real retail plus office isn't getting built right now.  

But I think Walgreens will be huge.  Also, not sure if y'all noticed but Winedown has been resurrected for a while now and there are huge crowds there on Wednesday nights.  That event, plus the Magic, Solar Bears, and City games are good generators of activity.

Also, DPAC Phase II will be huge, and the UCF complex will be as well for traction.  Same with Modera IF it actually gets built.  Tremont would be nice...but we'll have to wait and see.

But, I don't think the Crescent property (Pizzuti block) will ever have a Phase II)

I was in San Diego last weekend and the Gas Lamp district was littered with empty storefronts including a now shuttered 24 theatre cinema downtown.  This is quite a change from what I remembered when I lived there two years ago. There are also several high-rises under construction in the CBD, which could lead one to believe that the state of downtown is healthy and thriving when in reality is seems there is a decline at this time.

Conversely, downtown Orlando is increasingly vibrant and has experienced incremental growth.  We all know that high-rise construction is never a factor in pedestrian level activity and vibrancy.  I'd like for this project to move forward -- if it doesn't, though, Orlando will see another day.

• Like 3

I disagree also, Downtown is much more vibrant than it used to be.  And "other than rental units" doesn't make sense. Rental units are the start of the boom.  You can't have vibrant downtown, retail, public transportation, arts, etc. without the critical mass of people that live in the area.  Build residences that are full of people and young professionals, bring jobs and UCF campus to the core, and everything else snowballs.  Downtown is on the upswing. New proposed projects including more residential units, new concert hall at performing art center, new Walgreens, new restaurants all are proof of that.

• Like 2

The half who said that Citi Tower, Modera Central and the Magic Entertainment center weren't happening are making their stand here!

And Orange Avenue and especially Church Street were much more vibrant in the 90's. There were even shopping arcades on Orange Avenue.

Bummer. 

As several people pointed out previously though, this development seemed a bit fishy with many of the main tenants being stakeholders in the project and the fact that the keep touting a Sunrail station that wouldn't actually be operational until phase II of the project is complete.  Seems like a lot of developer shenanigans just to get the project off the ground.

Fairwinds is dumb.   They just like having their name on a tower to piss off the banks.   They have no interest in downtown the way that companies like Red Lobster or FBC Mortgage do.   As I posted a few months ago, even with the move they were reducing staff as they move people out to Alafaya Trail where their original headquarters is.   

Suburban credit union with a suburban mindset.   They do love their UCF thought.  Here's a bold prediction - once UCF has something that is significantly vertical...Fairwinds takes their name off 135 Central and moves it to that building.