Church Street Plaza | 28-Story Office/Hotel [Phase 1 Under Construction]

bic

39 minutes ago, bqknight said:

Would LOVE. It's a pain in the butt to go between downtown and the attractions area right now. Traffic is HORRID, at ALL times of the day. Seriously, even at 2p on a Saturday. 

I sat on I-4 for almost an hour (with no reason ever materializing) last weekend.  At 2pm on a Saturday.  Dead stop.  Barely moving.  Rolling stops.  For about 10 miles.

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

If you're from Charlotte, would you be a Charlatan? Would you be a Parasite if you're from Paris?

The Tampons can hang out with the Jackson-villains.

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Had it not been for some sleight-of-hand with the voters by Jacob Summerlin, Sanford would have been the county seat of OC instead of Orlando (and Seminole County might still be with us).

I know nothing of this, but have said in the 15+ years I've lived here that Seminole County makes ZERO SENSE.

When I lived in Ohio many years ago, there was a lot of talk about lowering the number of counties.  The biggest problem there is that elected officials with cushy jobs lose those jobs, so they aren't really interested in losing their jobs, but they are the only ones who can push it through.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

The Vinik stuff is I think only like 3 years old? If only the DeVossesesesess had anywhere near the vision that he does.

Vinik moved to Tampa. The Devos family spends most of their time in Grand Rapids. And it shows when you look at how much money they have put into the community. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alex said:

I went to an event at Pointe Orlando last night, heading there from my office downtown. I had the exact same thought: two important nodes that just need one really simple, fast, and reliable connection. Something like downtown to the Convention Center (via I-4, Vineland, Universal Blvd, I-Drive) would be phenomenal and help out both locals and visitors. I think that would help open downtown up to more office development, since right now it's considered not only expensive but also hard to get to.

It would be great if there was light rail consisting of 2 lines - the proposed line between I-Drive and the airport, and an additional line that goes right into downtown, mostly running alongside I-4. That would be nice instead of the proposal of taking SunRail to Sand Lake and switching trains. Imagine a one-seat ride to the tourist attractions without transfers and without getting stuck in I-4 traffic like the Lynx buses do. The benefit would be that since it can be a separate line from SunRail, it could have greater frequencies, run later in the nights, and most importantly - run on the weekends. Additionally it can reach destinations that the former maglev proposal wouldn't have gone to, such as the north I-Drive, the premium outlets, Universal Studios, and the Mall at Millennia. Having a light rail line that hits all these points, going from downtown Orlando to Disney Springs (hopefully) would be a total game changer.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

I sat on I-4 for almost an hour (with no reason ever materializing) last weekend.  At 2pm on a Saturday.  Dead stop.  Barely moving.  Rolling stops.  For about 10 miles.

The Tampons can hang out with the Jackson-villains.

I know nothing of this, but have said in the 15+ years I've lived here that Seminole County makes ZERO SENSE.

When I lived in Ohio many years ago, there was a lot of talk about lowering the number of counties.  The biggest problem there is that elected officials with cushy jobs lose those jobs, so they aren't really interested in losing their jobs, but they are the only ones who can push it through.

For most of its history, Seminole County was Sanford and not much else. (That's why Jai-Alai and dog/horse racing got a foothold in south Seminole, no one lived there at the time.) That all changed with the development of Casselberry, then the opening of I4 and the Claytons developing Sweetwater and then growth around FTU/UCF. Fortunately, Oviedo's Town House and the roaming chickens endure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3nYqOYQ74k

Edited by spenser1058

Went to a conference last year that was at the Barrymore - dangerous to walk from there anywhere away from the river between high speed roads and construction.   Restaurants were few and far between.  Felt like those that did go there probably drove 3 blocks from their office...and I couldn't blame them.

I know USF is putting s med school downtown but what UCF is about to unleash with 7-15K students will change things in Orlando overnight.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HankStrong said:

...I know nothing of this, but have said in the 15+ years I've lived here that Seminole County makes ZERO SENSE...

Especially when Seminole County jumps on every opportunity to market themselves as "North Orlando" or other "less successful sibling" type attempts at dropping a family name.

1 hour ago, Jernigan said:

"Orlando North" needs to get a trendy acronym like SODO.  Let's help them out:

O No!!

Someone has even come up with a trendy name for those trendy acronyms.... "acronames"

Or "acna's" if you'd rather use the acroname for it.

I like ONO too. Maybe someone will open up a Japanese restaurant there and call it Yoko.

"Where'd ya eat dinner last night?"

"Yoko ONO". :P

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Can anyone post the gist of the article for those of us who don't subscribe to GrowthSpotter?

I went to their homepage and saw a brief summary that said the ballroom site could be redeveloped in the future.

Just now, prahaboheme said:

Summarize the details for those of us without an account?

Looks like we both posted the same question at the exact same time.

Here's the basics of the article: LPC spent 11 million to purchase.  They are sub-dividing the property (ballroom & parking lot) because of a shared wall the ballroom has with the building it's connected to own by the previous owner if they decide to demo/redevelop the existing ballroom.

Edited by Kaz

Hard to say.  Lincoln was already involved.   They just are buying it outright from Tremont.  Most of us were excited about Tremonts involvement in making this a reality.

The article also lists the tenants so far all still being attached to the project and Fairwinds is gone.  We were promised a big name replacement, right?

Excited that they list May as when they see site work beginning.  we won't have to wait long to know if they are for real

Edited by Jernigan

5 hours ago, HankStrong said:

I hate to see living history in this historic part of downtown disappear.

Still hurting over the loss of historic brise soleil?

3 hours ago, Dale said:

Tavistock ?

I'm referring to towers built just in downtown. Is Tavistock doing something in downtown as well?