Church Street Plaza | 28-Story Office/Hotel [Phase 1 Under Construction]

bic

1 hour ago, castorvx said:

If not, I'll see what I can do to help with this. My south balcony overlooks this lot.

That would be cool.

You could set up something like a cheap, web based home security cam, point it at the site and PM the login & password info to forum members. You could of course, always change the login and password later on after the project is finished if you wanted to use it for monitoring your own place, etc. 

I've got a cheap DLink cam in my house that I use to monitor while I'm away. Works great with the Android app. Not so great via the website. Paid about 50 bucks for it online.

50 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

That would be cool.

You could set up something like a cheap, web based home security cam, point it at the site and PM the login & password info to forum members. You could of course, always change the login and password later on after the project is finished if you wanted to use it for monitoring your own place, etc. 

I've got a cheap DLink cam in my house that I use to monitor while I'm away. Works great with the Android app. Not so great via the website. Paid about 50 bucks for it online.

Those are good options. I think I'd be looking for an outdoor camera of some kind and mount it on the exterior balcony railing. I think the reflections/glare on the window would cause problems for interior mounting.

As for access for the forum, I'd likely just host it publicly without authentication. I have servers available for that kind of thing so it's not a huge deal really.

Fingers crossed this thing goes vertical. I certainly hope it does. 

• 3 weeks later...

A financing package from Lincoln Property for Tremont Tower has been floating around since last fall that suggested the hotel component would be an AC Marriott and not the widely reported Hyatt Place.  Looks like it has just been confirmed by GrowthSpotter.  http://www.growthspotter.com/projects/tremont-tower/gs-tremont-tower-new-hotel-flag-ac-hotels-by-marriott-20160411-story.html

• Like 1

Excerpt:

"Marriott flag AC Hotels will be introduced to the Orlando market via downtown mixed-use project Tremont Tower, with development partner Lincoln Property Company swapping in the contemporary urban brand for previous placeholder Hyatt Place, the company told GrowthSpotter on Monday."

AC Hotel is comparable to Boheme, certainly more upscale than Hyatt Place, so definitely strong news for downtown.  The article reports the 18th floor will feature a lobby bar and amenity level with outdoor patio seating overlooking Downtown Orlando,

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GRS328 said:

Excerpt:

"Marriott flag AC Hotels will be introduced to the Orlando market via downtown mixed-use project Tremont Tower, with development partner Lincoln Property Company swapping in the contemporary urban brand for previous placeholder Hyatt Place, the company told GrowthSpotter on Monday."

AC Hotel is comparable to Boheme, certainly more upscale than Hyatt Place, so definitely strong news for downtown.  The article reports the 18th floor will feature a lobby bar and amenity level with outdoor patio seating overlooking Downtown Orlando,

Cool. I might have to start drinking again. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gibby said:

Amazing that the Sunrail platform has not been worked out yet.  It doesn't seem too complicated.  The new location will be awesome.  I hope they get it worked out soon.

Agreed - I wonder if it's just a matter of agreeing on who is paying for what and liabilities, as it's a public service being (hopefully) integrated into a private project.

21 hours ago, castorvx said:

The important bits as I read them:

• Hyatt brand is gone, now AC Hotels
  • Hotel is on 18 to 25, with express elevator to 18th floor for hotel guests. Hotel bar facing downtown on 18th level amenities deck.
  • 180 hotel rooms.
  • Could begin foundation work within the next 2 months.
  • Still working with the city on the integrated SunRail platform.

There's more to the article but that's the part I cared about,

It would be REALLY REALLY great if the hotel bar ended up being something like Fahrenheit in Charlotte.  Hotel bar on 21st floor facing the city.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve_o said:

It would be REALLY REALLY great if the hotel bar ended up being something like Fahrenheit in Charlotte.  Hotel bar on 21st floor facing the city.  

I'm fairly certain it will face East towards Orange Ave and downtown. I doubt they'd have it overlooking I-4.

Actually, you can tell from the rendering where the lobby, lounge and patio deck will be...

2r5w8hs.jpg

I don't know, but I will say that this is the most exciting downtown project in years. I'm really hoping like hell it happens. To have Tremont and Citi Towers both going up at the same time would be reminiscent of the high rise building booms of the 80's and 90's when construction cranes were such a common sight.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I don't know, but I will say that this is the most exciting downtown project in years. I'm really hoping like hell it happens. To have Tremont and Citi Towers both going up at the same time would be reminiscent of the high rise building booms of the 80's and 90's when construction cranes were such a common sight.

I'm with you on that. I think it will be a great looking building and it will be on a corner that is currently a surface lot. Anyone coming into downtown from I-4 EB is greeted by a poorly maintained SURFACE LOT. What an improvement this would be. It'll be awesome to see more than one construction crane on the skyline, as well; development has been a trickle for years.

As for the bar, the article specified that the bar would have a downtown view. Could be pretty nice. 

Edited by castorvx
  • Like 2

As someone living in 55W with a west looking view, I've been looking forward to this to fill in that southern gap for over a year now.  By far the nicest looking rendering I've seen in the years I've been here.  Can't wait for ground to break.  Hoping it is before I move...

I agree as well.  It is like a new gateway to downtown with a nice looking building on that corner that leads to City Hall/DPAC area, and on I-4 east it is opposite the Amway center, and hopefully someday the Magic Complex will go up on the other side with similar modern building design for the hotel tower they were planning.  Also a bonus that it blocks the fat conquistador a bit coming in on I-4.  I would much rather look at this building as a new gateway after crossing under the 408.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Also a bonus that it blocks the fat conquistador a bit coming in on I-4.  I would much rather look at this building as a new gateway after crossing under the 408.

I will never understand the hate.  It's different and distinct while not being overly gaudy.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AndyPok1 said:

I will never understand the hate.  It's different and distinct while not being overly gaudy.

It's a matter of individual taste.  I think it is lazy derivative med-revish architecture with poor massing and the odd looking "mustache-hat" on top.  It all just seems incongruent to me.  Any one of those things individually would be more tolerable.  Together, the design, style, mass, colors, lighting, combine like Voltron to form the menacing Fat Conquistador figure looming over the gateway to our city.

LOL.  

Honestly, hate is a strong word.  I don't hate it, but it's not my idea of good architecture.  I will say, however, that I like the ground floor and how they integrated into church street and the plaza across.  That's good stuff.  Everyone has their own taste and opinion, of course.