Church Street Plaza | 28-Story Office/Hotel [Phase 1 Under Construction]

bic

21 hours ago, jrs2 said:

So... if that's not the rendering, then what was the design like?  I mean, I can't remember, myself, but I do remember something in the paper, but I don't know.  I do recall early conceptual drawings of the current complex, which was a little taller and different looking (Solaire portion).  But I think I also remember this rendering with the steeple topped building as well a while before even that.

I really wish I could find it - I did a pretty extensive search and came up cold.

I recall a single tower rising on the block behind the restored facades. I don't think the tower was anything special and obviously it was a weak proposal as it's been lost to history, but at least it would have shown that there was an effort to save and retrofit rather than demolition.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

I really wish I could find it - I did a pretty extensive search and came up cold.

I recall a single tower rising on the block behind the restored facades. I don't think the tower was anything special and obviously it was a weak proposal as it's been lost to history, but at least it would have shown that there was an effort to save and retrofit rather than demolition.

There are several archived articles from around October 1989 through around February 1990, which chronicle the efforts to save the block. The reality is that even if the efforts had been successful, it is highly likely that only the original Woolworth building would have been saved, while the McCrory's and the two actual OLD buildings from around 1910 which sat in between, would have been demolished and recreated.

Making Way For Woolworth High-rise Plans Aren't So Nice To Mccrory's (link)

There is a list of links on the left side of the page to a few more articles regarding this issue. 

One of the articles does reference "vague drawings" in which you can recognize the bright red McCrory's marquee, but it sounds more like a concept sketch in which they altered the bottom two floors of the design that is shown in the photo of the model I posted earlier.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

I'm not saying there weren't alternatives.  Just from the pictures I've seen, I don't see anything that NEEDED to be saved.  The fact is that Orlando is a young city.  While it's good to save some things from the pre-1960s, I don't believe in saving stuff just because it is old.  

I did some quick googling, but came up empty.  How many cities saved/repurposed their Woolworth's?  If we're an outlier and there's 400 of them around the USA that I just don't know about, then I'll start to reconsider.  But I just don't believe they are that significant.

Anyway, we can move this to coffee house if it really needs to continue.  Fact is that most recent proposals, including the one this thread is nominally about, is going in as infill on ugly parking lots or removing non-contributing buildings.  Life is good here.  Let's focus less on the past and more about our exciting future.

I forgot to tell you that my middle name is "long winded".  The mod needs to put a limit on my posts b/c I can get carried away sometimes, and usually do. lol.

Regarding Tremont, I haven't seen any movement either.

wow, no-one bit.  werd iz that "Oh You See" has stuff under there that has to be moved, and purmitz haven't even been applied for yet.  And, that "Eff Dee Oh Tee" hasn't finalized the easement variance yet 4 the tau-ur.  Yes, I purposely misspelled those werdz 4 a rhee zun.. Saw rhee.

So, I think Modera tops off before movement occurs here.

Edited by jrs2
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, RedStar25 said:

I'll swing by today... Last I saw the parking lot was cleared. 

I pass it on the way to work. It's been cleared and I haven't seen any vehicles there in a couple weeks, however, no fence or anything else noting they're going to begin work. 

Hazzah!!!! 

598bb93d0b32f_Godown.gif.dcd3cfae48e0bbb9853ddf95bb0544b1.gif

Or up, in this case. . .

Getting really excited for this one with the design, the hotel, the overlook restaurant/bar with Green tendencies, the transit orientation, blocking out the Fat Conquistador from view coming into the city on I-4, gateway on South Street exit, synergetic effect with hopefully coming soon Magic Entertainment Complex across the highway, etc, etc, etc. . . 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 4