Tactical Urbanism

mcn11

Is anyone here into tactical urbanism? I've been trying to get the City to add a crosswalk at Central and Eola as there's heavy foot traffic (especially during events) not to mention a kids playground right there. The closest crosswalk is all the way at summerlin or Osceola and cars fly down that stretch.

Needless to say, I've heard nothing and it's gotten to the point where I could just paint them myself. However, I don't want to get into any trouble.

There's also a program and website called Walk [your city] that allows you to design wayfinding signs and prints them for an affordable price. I'm really interested in doing this throughout north quarter, downtown, and Thornton park.

Anyone have any thoughts on tactical urbanism?

• 3 months later...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anyone here into tactical urbanism? I've been trying to get the City to add a crosswalk at Central and Eola as there's heavy foot traffic (especially during events) not to mention a kids playground right there. The closest crosswalk is all the way at summerlin or Osceola and cars fly down that stretch.

Needless to say, I've heard nothing and it's gotten to the point where I could just paint them myself. However, I don't want to get into any trouble.

I know what you mean and it's a good idea, but "guerrilla crosswalks" would probably endanger the pedestrian even further. For example, there is no stop sign on Central Blvd at the Eola Dr intersection so cars would not be forced to come to a stop, and pedestrians would probably assume they had the right of way upon seeing the crosswalk and assume the back of the speed limit sign/streetlight posts were actually stop signs... that could be a dangerous mix. IMO the streets surrounding Lake Eola Park should give preference/right of way to pedestrians and it seems like a no brainer. Observing areas most heavily traveled on foot would give the city ideas of where to install additional ped crossings & stop signs. Just curious, who have you contacted at the City? Was it Patty Sheehan or someone on one of the planning boards? A Change petition identifying all the dangerous areas for improvement surrounding Lake Eola might help.

That being said, I think tactical urbanism is a good idea, long overdue and helps improve the way pedestrians interact with the neighborhood... it just makes walking the streets more inviting. A little creative thinking is all that's needed to utilize what we already have. I'm surprised Project DTO didn't incorporate more elements like this into their plans.

Archived