1 Brevard - 28 Story Tower at 4th & Brevard in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I'm liking the design overall, I'm a bit let down that the "X" columns and BreXard logo from the original sketch were cut in this rendering.  I thought those columns really brought something to the street if it wasn't going to have much space for retail.  Also, I think the pool will still get some sun, just not at "high-noon."  I'm sure this won't be the final design for the amenity deck though.

Skye had issues with financing because the commercial/hotel component.  That is why sales have been sluggish over there.

I would have thought the hotel would actually help the financing picture.  I thought hotels were less risky investments than condos.

I have wondered why 1 Brevard didn't use the hotel/residences concept...Perhaps that is the reason why.

I would have thought the hotel would actually help the financing picture.  I thought hotels were less risky investments than condos.

I have wondered why 1 Brevard didn't use the hotel/residences concept...Perhaps that is the reason why.

Financing for mortgages tends to be very anti-mixed use.  It's become a bit easier though.

Price per sq ft is going to be $530-700 based on some unit prices I saw last night. Way too high in my opinion. They love that fact that they are blocking Skye's view but only partially. It's ironic that there is another surface parking lot across the street from 1Brevard that could easily block it's view as well as soon as someone decides to put up a building there. I also think the pool area is a disaster, who wants shade covering your pool? I'll be very interested to see if they can sell enough units as those prices, they need 50% pre sales before construction starts. 

Price per sq ft is going to be $530-700 based on some unit prices I saw last night. Way too high in my opinion. They love that fact that they are blocking Skye's view but only partially. It's ironic that there is another surface parking lot across the street from 1Brevard that could easily block it's view as well as soon as someone decides to put up a building there. I also think the pool area is a disaster, who wants shade covering your pool? I'll be very interested to see if they can sell enough units as those prices, they need 50% pre sales before construction starts. 

Good luck getting that surface lot developed. Its owned by NCRR. 

NCRR is North Carolina Railroad, a quasi-governmental state agency.  NCRR was mandated to sell all non-core holdings several years ago by the state legislature, so I disagree that the site is a long way from being redeveloped, but on the flip-side, NCRR hasn't made any visible progress to market the land.

Though its a key-site, the value of it increases at least 50% if the CTC is relocated.  The CTC would be the obvious site to redevelop first, with its Trade St frontage, and Epicentre adjacency.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. I'll never understand why anyone would want to pay $435k to live in >700q ft on Brevard St. I hope they can find buyers!

agreed.  I don't see it. Charlotte just doesn't offer the amenities in uptown to warrant these kind of prices.  I'm highly skeptical this project will ever get off the ground.

I wish them the best of luck, but I agree with everyone. I see it HIGHLY unlikely they get these asking prices. This location just doesn't warrant it. The Littlejohn Group will say "look at the area long term" and while they may be right, that's not what people spending over $500k want to hear now.

I agree with what others are saying as well... The price per SF is just too high. And it's not even the most ideal spot in uptown either. I would love to see it get off the ground, but don't it happening unless those prices come down. I think the developers are a little too bullish here, even with the lack of new residential condos going up. Anyone catch wind of how pre-sales may be going?

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this place is out of their mind. 

I was hoping 1Brevard would be Charlotte’s first modern/tech building. An internet connected condo that would come with Nest thermostats, smart phone controlled LED lights and LEED energy efficient everything. Instead, 1 Brevard is touting things like quartz countertops (humblebrag but I had those in a budget friendly apartment 7 years ago) and blocking the view of Fahrenheit and Skye Condos. I’m not sure if they noticed, but there is an empty parking lot across the street from 1Brevard. Their view could just as easily be blocked with a new development.  The biggest underachievement of the building has to be the pool. Did the architect not notice that the pool is covered by the level above and will block a majority of the sun? A pool and sun go hand in hand. I don’t need nor want to cool off in the water from being in the shade for too long.

Archived