1 Brevard - 28 Story Tower at 4th & Brevard in 2nd Ward

atlrvr

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am worried about the scale of these proposed buildings. They could dwarf the nearby pocket of historic buildings, especially the Grace of Brevard Church. Developers probably couldn't be bothered with scaling their developments to something like that beautiful church. Is it just not economically feasible to build something five to ten stories high there?

The pocket park idea is great because it will help draw attention to the building... but the effect is lost if it's completely in the shadow of a giant tower.

I am worried about the scale of these proposed buildings. They could dwarf the nearby pocket of historic buildings, especially the Grace of Brevard Church. Developers probably couldn't be bothered with scaling their developments to something like that beautiful church. Is it just not economically feasible to build something five to ten stories high there?

The pocket park idea is great because it will help draw attention to the building... but the effect is lost if it's completely in the shadow of a giant tower.

The description makes it sound like it will be a midrise along brevard, and high rise along 3rd

Looks like this building is going CONDOS!!!!! AHHHH! So exciting. Sign me up, I'm buying one.

UPDATE: Will Boye posted a story.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/05/developer-planning-condo-tower-in-uptown-charlotte.html

Few things. Would they try and sell a certain percentage of apartments before going vertical? Do you think with so few supplies, it might be relatively easy to reach a goal?

Few things. Would they try and sell a certain percentage of apartments before going vertical? Do you think with so few supplies, it might be relatively easy to reach a goal?

They will need 30-40% PreSold unless they have enough capital to finance the entire project themselves. Most of the townhouses in Charlotte have sold at breakneck speed and inventory on urban for sale properties is at a 3 month inventory, healthy is somewhere around 9 to 12 months. 

Looks like this building is going CONDOS!!!!! AHHHH! So exciting. Sign me up, I'm buying one.

UPDATE: Will Boye posted a story. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/05/developer-planning-condo-tower-in-uptown-charlotte.html

I kinda miss the days when the "Breaking News" I get form mainstream sources wasn't already a week old in UP time. Perhaps we know too much?

1brevard.com and onebrevard.com purchased by Mike Dickerman of Matthews on Apr 17.  His website says he's a web developer.  Squatter that was watching Accela and saw the name?  Or someone hired to do work?  Either way, nothing on those actual sites, although 1brevard says it is in "maintenance mode".  Just poking around hoping for a stray rendering, ha ha.

I kinda miss the days when the "Breaking News" I get form mainstream sources wasn't already a week old in UP time. Perhaps we know too much?

I miss "Next Big Thing" on Fridays. :-( We used to get ALL our news on Fridays. 

I see that The Littlejohn Group and RTG Holdings are the ones working on this. Anyone familiar with their residential highrise work? I did a quick google search and couldn't find much. I would love to see something similar to the One Charlotte proposal come to life if we were to start talking about wish lists :)

onecharlotte.jpg

Is it a condo-hotel situation or just normal condos?

It seems like a weird place for residential to me - being that it's at least a two block walk to anything interesting. It will be interesting to see how 2nd Ward evolves. Hopefully this building will help spark some momentum for Brevard Street. It would be great to see the blocks across Brevard and across 4th get developed.

I see that The Littlejohn Group and RTG Holdings are the ones working on this. Anyone familiar with their residential highrise work? I did a quick google search and couldn't find much. I would love to see something similar to the One Charlotte proposal come to life if we were to start talking about wish lists :)

onecharlotte.jpg

• RTG Holdings is just a holding company, so I'm assuming they are representing multiple parties interests. I looked into the Greg Rudolph who works at Gunn Financial and is heading up the Holding Company's Interests, as president, but haven't been able to find anything on him or his primary employer. 

• As far as The Little John Group goes, they really don't have any high rise experience. They mostly have done large master planned communities. I am one degree of separation from Emma LIttlejohn so I'm working on getting an in as we speak.

• Its worth noting that Kimley Horne is also with this project, and they are heavy hitters in the Charlotte community.

It seems like a weird place for residential to me - being that it's at least a two block walk to anything interesting. It will be interesting to see how 2nd Ward evolves. Hopefully this building will help spark some momentum for Brevard Street. It would be great to see the blocks across Brevard and across 4th get developed.

I don't think this is a weird location at all. 2 blocks from Whole Foods, Two blocks from the Arena, 1 block from a train station, 4 blocks from Romare Bearden. Uptown is so compact and intimate I feel like barely any space is an akward/weird place.

With the exception of the CTC being so close I think this is a perect spot for residential. These couple of blocks right here are nearly a blank canvas and if this goes up and does well I'm sure it won't stay barren for too long.

I don't think it's a 'bad' spot. Right now I feel like it's isolated in the same way that Courtside is isolated (ie: its not far removed from everything, and the lack of buildings with a pedestrian friendly street level design makes it feel weird). Once things start to shape up in the immediate vicinity then it will become a very desirable place to live. I think the potential of this building to create momentum there is real.

Disagree, what's needed is conforming loan condos. IMHO this is why Skye still hasn't sold out. Along with the location being less desirable.

I hope they make cleaning up Brevard part of this project. It's a blighted block with no sidewalk in the West side and trash/no landscaping on the other.

I would worry about being across from the transit center affecting valuations a little bit. In Denver the Ritz residences went up across from a greyhound and I think that's part of why they performed poorly.

If you take a look the W Hotel & Residences in Boston, this fits the mold perfectly in terms of building size. ~26 floors, 200+ hotel rooms, 125 condos. I was working in Boston at the time it opened, very nice building. Though, I remember it's had its share of problems with keeping restaurants open, bankruptcies, etc. It's located in the theater district, a little bit off the beaten path (haven't been to Boston in over 2 years now so not sure how much that has changed). I agree with elrodvt, that this may not be the ideal location for such a building since it right by the transit center. I often parked there for Hornets games and lets just say you're better off just looking straight ahead when walking past the transit center on some nights..

It's a shame the transit center adds such a scar on uptown. I have, admittedly, taken an uber from Fahrenheit to various parts of center city to not have to walk past it at night. I think that increased police presence and development in the area will help though. Just a shame this transit center is here to stay.

Lest you see black people? I swear the attitude on this board sometimes. Better stick to the over street mall where it's safe.

I don't personally feel unsafe there. It's just like any inner city bus station though: Loud, dirty and not something you want to live across from.

I don't feel unsafe, but I think that safety can be someone's own personal interpretation. After living in DC and NYC there are many times I know a 5 dollar uber is worth the hassle over being panhandled or robbed or even the perception of it. I don't think there's any need to attack someone over their perception of safety. 

Lest you see black people? I swear the attitude on this board sometimes. Better stick to the over street mall where it's safe.

I'm sorry, where did I mention black people? Sketchy people can be in be in all sorts of shapes, colors and sizes. Thanks taking the time to think through though.

I'm not sure what your experience level is with that bus station, but I've been in there at night many many times.  Black, white or purple, it gets a little sketch there after dark.

Archived