Haywood Rd Redevelopment

NBNY2GRNVL

21 hours ago, Exile said:

Wasn't HM's expansion at least partly motivated by a proposal to build a mega-mall between Greenville and Spartanburg? I think Westgate expanded at about the same time, and the two expansions essentially killed off the mega-mall idea.

So, I suppose another HM expansion will only come about when a worthy competitor comes along. Or demographics overcomes the owners' reluctance. Neither of which seems to be on the horizon.

HM's addition of the Dillard's wing had more to do with Greenville Mall's  renovation and expansion at the time. The proposed mall later in Spartanburg at I85 and Hwy 29 died after Westgate Mall lured two of it' s  proposed  anchors (JBWhite and Dillard's ) to Westgate for an expansion. 

I heard originally Haywood tried to lure JBWhite from Greenville Mall but was unsuccessful so they went with Dillard's. Ironically Dillard's acquired JBWhite's  corporate owner Mercantile Stores later in the 90's  so JBW eventually became Dillard's.  The Westgate JBWhite later became Proffitt's  because Dillard's already had a store at Westgate, then Proffitt's closed after it's merger with Belk and  was torn down to make way for Costco behind Westgate.

On 12/31/2017 at 8:33 PM, Upstate Guy said:

I agree with several points that have been made across this...

1) The mall needs to resurface its lots. I honestly can't recall that being done in my lifetime. and they are worn/stained by years of use. 

I went to the Apple Store on Monday to get the iPhone X. You can't even see the stripes in the parking lot anymore. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

Sears closing 72 more stores. Hopefully Haywood is one. I am ready for this space to be better utilized. 

They're closing money-losing stores, which implies that they still have stores that make money.  I can't imagine this store--an original anchor of the only mall left in Greenville--isn't at least breaking even.

I noticed yesterday that the temporary store occupying the old Ann Taylor spot has been relocated to the old Palmetto Moon spot.  I can't imagine them making this move unless a permanent vendor has signed for the Ann Taylor location?  Any news?  That's a pretty big spot in a prime location.  Hopefully something new like Vineyard Vines, Eddie Bauer, or Tommy Bahama and not just a relocation of an existing store.  I don't know...just speculating.  

6 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Sears closing 72 more stores. Hopefully Haywood is one. I am ready for this space to be better utilized. 

Haywood Mall store isn't on the list - yet. However, according to USATODAY.com: "The company signaled that there may be more closures to come. It initially said that it would be shuttering 72 locations out of roughly 100 non-profitable stores but when it later provided the list of locations that would be shuttered, the number had shrunk to 63. The company said that 'a small group of stores was pulled from the closing list . .. as they are being evaluated further.'''

I don’t see the Haywood Mall store closing anytime soon. The whole company would have to go under for that to happen in my opinion.  With the Anderson and Spartanburg stores closing, all of the customers will go to the Greenville one which could actually help increase sales there. 

Edited by gman430

On 5/31/2018 at 12:05 PM, greenvilleguy said:

I noticed yesterday that the temporary store occupying the old Ann Taylor spot has been relocated to the old Palmetto Moon spot.  I can't imagine them making this move unless a permanent vendor has signed for the Ann Taylor location?  Any news?  That's a pretty big spot in a prime location.  Hopefully something new like Vineyard Vines, Eddie Bauer, or Tommy Bahama and not just a relocation of an existing store.  I don't know...just speculating.  

I know the retail environment isn’t the greatest right now but good lord the mall is doing terrible landing and keeping good, quality tenants right now. No more Ann Taylor and  L’occitane shows this. Nobody wants these local cheap retailers nobody has ever heard of either. 

Edited by gman430

I  keep talking about this whenever someone brings up Haywood Mall. The mall needs to do basic, simple maintenance. 

1) Repave/surface the parking lots

2) Put some landscaping out in the parking lots. It is acres of asphalt with nothing in sight. I know it would be a big undertaking..but maybe ever 20-30 spaces put in an island with mulch and a crepe myrtle. 

3) Powerwash the outside of the building...it looks dingy.  If that doesn't work...paint it. 

And finally...maybe they should really start to consider selling off the parking lots that are outside the parking lot ring road. (there are two large areas besides the main access to Haywood Rd)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Upstate Guy said:

I  keep talking about this whenever someone brings up Haywood Mall. The mall needs to do basic, simple maintenance. 

2) Put some landscaping out in the parking lots. It is acres of asphalt with nothing in sight. I know it would be a big undertaking..but maybe ever 20-30 spaces put in an island with mulch and a crepe myrtle. 

3) Powerwash the outside of the building...it looks dingy.  If that doesn't work...paint it. 

And finally...maybe they should really start to consider selling off the parking lots that are outside the parking lot ring road. (there are two large areas besides the main access to Haywood Rd)

I agree, but, no competition + plum location = no motivation. Haywood is the Health Department to our wish for an orthodontist's office.

1 hour ago, Upstate Guy said:

Our sole mall is embarrassing on the outside. I know others may not mind. I wish that when Sears leaves (we all know it will happen eventually - could be 6 months, a year, or five years) that they would divide it up for junior anchors and build out for an outdoor town center type wing with restaurants etc. I could see a nice gym, H&M, nicer sit down restaurants, outside movies on some kind of lawn being good. If Simon was forced to innovate it would have already been done but he should take pride in the resources he has as the top mall in the upstate. 

Simon says.

No. 

Simon sucks. 

Let's just sit on a cash cow and let it die off slowly, instead of investing now so that it lasts another generation. 

And it DOES have competition. If the traffic on Woodruff didn't suck so bad, then HM would be suffering more than it is.   

Simon better be careful or these nice national retailers will continue to go elsewhere like Brooks Brothers, Anthropologie, Orvis, and Lululemon did with going downtown. With BridgeWay Station now under construction, the mall will have even more competition to land these high quality tenants upon completion. 

Edited by gman430