Haywood Rd Redevelopment

NBNY2GRNVL

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:34 PM, Exile said:

Almost 1200'. Only a few feet shorter than Roper Mtn.

With the exception of the Hilton, I've never been very impressed with the way that area has developed. Across Pelham, facing Haywood, Carolina First (now TD) started in an old SCN branch building, but never kept a bigger presence there once they outgrew it. The two old Henderson Advertising buildings--where the hotel company now is, I believe--are dated.

To me, this continues a tradition of underwhelming development at what is literally the most prominent intersection in town. I have a hard time believing this is the highest and best use. I wonder if there's some intractable zoning issue or title restriction. .....And btoy answers the question literally as I'm typing it!

Seems like I remember back in the 80's when Spinx was constructed and erected a huge billboard type sign on that corner blocking the views from that intersection.  They removed it.  It is a pretty view  the mountains and the view looking out over the mall area.

Edited by vistatiger

22 hours ago, vistatiger said:

Seems like I remember back in the 80's when Spinx was constructed and erected a huge billboard type sign on that corner blocking the views from that intersection.  They removed it.  It is a pretty view  the mountains and the view looking out over the mall area.

Yes, I remember that, too. It was a really big, ugly, yellow billboard. BIG outcry against it.

BTW, the hill has a name--Lowndes Hill, and the Lowndes Hill House is still there after almost 200 years.

9 hours ago, Exile said:

Yes, I remember that, too. It was a really big, ugly, yellow billboard. BIG outcry against it.

BTW, the hill has a name--Lowndes Hill, and the Lowndes Hill House is still there after almost 200 years.

I didn’t know that. Now I know where Lowndes Hill Road comes from. I’m assuming Centura Drive and Villa Road were also part of Lowndes Hill Road at some point. 

On 12/21/2018 at 5:10 PM, johnpro318 said:

I didn’t know that. Now I know where Lowndes Hill Road comes from. I’m assuming Centura Drive and Villa Road were also part of Lowndes Hill Road at some point. 

If so, before my time. It could have a history like E. Parkins Mill-Verdae Blvd-Roper Mountain Road. Verdae was the connector that brought the other two other together into one long road with three names.

Edit: a history not so much "like," since Lowndes Hill was apparently cut in half by 385. How it came to connect to Century is maybe like E Parkins Mill-Verdae-Roper Mtn. I don't really know that part of town at all.

Edited by Exile

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, greenvilleguy said:

J.Crew is closing at the end of the month. Apparently Simon wasn’t willing to negotiate a new lease with them.  Also, a bar is opening on the corner beside the new Bath and Body Works.  An alcohol license has been requested. 

I’d love to see J Crew open downtown as a result. 

I know Haywood is a strong mall but it’s s little concerning to me that in the last year they’ve lost a couple of moderately high end stores, like Coach, L’Occitane, and now JCrew, and the only new store is LEGO.  Will it negatively impact the possibility of landing other stores like Vineyard Vines, Sur La Table, etc in the market?

I’d be curious to see the average and median incomes of Haywood shoppers vs. shoppers elsewhere.  Maybe Haywood just attracts middle-income ones but upper-income ones go elsewhere?  I avoid Haywood as much as I can and always liked Greenville Mall (when it was “upscale”) and downtown (now) better and consider the latter two as nicer environments.

9 hours ago, greenvilleguy said:

J.Crew is closing at the end of the month. Apparently Simon wasn’t willing to negotiate a new lease with them.  Also, a bar is opening on the corner beside the new Bath and Body Works.  An alcohol license has been requested. 

J Crew has been quietly closing stores in other places. Apparently they haven't been doing well as a whole. I saw them on an endangered retailer list. Has nothing to do with Haywood. The Lovesac store next to it is moving into the old L' Occitane space. Haywood must already have something larger in mind in combining those two spaces. Lots of stores are getting shuffled around in that Sears wing. 

Edited by vistatiger

17 hours ago, gman430 said:

Starbuck’s is going next to Apple. 

Guess they are relocating from the upstairs food court. Wonder if it will have it's own exterior entrance  separate from the mall on that corner?

6 hours ago, gman430 said:

H&M maybe? 

Could be but I don't think that space would be large enough even combined with the Lovesac store unless they relocate Pottery Barn too and combine all 3.  I expect H&M will go in part of the Sears box eventually IF they get out of the way.

3 hours ago, vistatiger said:

Guess they are relocating from the upstairs food court. Wonder if it will have it's own exterior entrance  separate from the mall on that corner?

Could be but I don't think that space would be large enough even combined with the Lovesac store unless they relocate Pottery Barn too and combine all 3.  I expect H&M will go in part of the Sears box eventually IF they get out of the way.

The post said Starbucks is going in next to Apple. Love sac and Pottery is across from Apple, right? 

I wonder if they removed the landscaping so they can dig and run new utility lines to the new restaurant going in next to Sears.  They did that on the other side too when they built Cheesecake F. Imagine the new restaurant will have it's own patio and exterior entrance as well.

Edited by vistatiger

Regarding J. Crew: 

Brandy Crowe, director of marketing and business development for Haywood Mall, said there is already a new tenant lined up to fill the space, though that tenant cannot yet be publicly named. 

The new tenant could move in as early as this summer, according to Crowe.