Haywood Rd Redevelopment

NBNY2GRNVL

5 hours ago, gman said:

Sorry, but Sears is dead. 

Metaphorically, maybe. But it was bought out of bankruptcy and there's a plan to keep it going at a little over half its previous size.

We'll see how that plan works out. Extreme skepticism is warranted.

5 hours ago, vicupstate said:

^^ Didn't Sears sell their Craftsman and Kenmore brands?

Lowe's has been selling Craftsman for months now.

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, greenvilleguy said:

Michael Kors at Haywood is closed and signage removed. Read the at the company was reopening most of its stores. I guess this one didn’t make the cut. Lots of empty space on the lower level. Really dark when you walk though. 

They sure didn’t last long here. Pretty bad when Augusta can support one but Greenville can’t. 

53 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

Maybe it's because you can walk next door and buy it at Macy's. Belk and Dillard's probably too. 

This. Some brands have been shifting away from department stores to their own stores to promote exclusivity and the ability to control all of their brand image. Michael Kors is available at Belk as well I know. 

1 hour ago, vistatiger said:

Maybe it's because you can walk next door and buy it at Macy's. Belk and Dillard's probably too. 

Can’t you do the same thing at the Augusta Mall though? I imagine the department stores there carry MK also.

Edited by gman430

11 minutes ago, motonenterprises said:

Haywood is still a better mall and Greenville is still a better city with more to offer. I was just down there a few weeks ago. Wouldn't trade cities.

Agree. Would not compare the two in this case. Augusta Mall doesn't have Belk oddly enough. It's in another outlying center. Only Macy's and Dillard's on the upper end. Some of  AM's stores are split in Greenville between Haywood and Greenridge.  Haven't been to DT Augusta in decades but imagine no comparison to GVL now.

Edited by vistatiger

1 minute ago, vistatiger said:

Agree. Would not compare the two in this case. Augusta Mall doesn't have Belk oddly enough. It's in another center. Only Macy's and Dillard's on the upper end. Some of  AM's stores are split in Greenville between Haywood and Greenridge.  Haven't been to DT Augusta in decades but imagine no comparison to GVL now.

No comparison. Not even close. I saw no parking garages but maybe one, only weird street parking. Bunches of it, and it's gritty. I'll stay up here. Lol.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, greenvilleguy said:

Was at Haywood today and NY and Company is closing.  That’s a pretty big spot to fill and probably not that desirable on the lower level near J.C. Penney. 

14 empty spaces now in the mall including that one and Sears. 

12 hours ago, greenvilleguy said:

Was at Haywood today and NY and Company is closing.  That’s a pretty big spot to fill and probably not that desirable on the lower level near J.C. Penney. 

The entire NY&C chain is closing. Haywood has always relocated/shifted other stores around to create desired square footage for other tenants. I am surprised they haven't made room for H&M. They take up a chunk of space. Feel like that is coming eventually.

Edited by vistatiger

Now Ascena Retail (Ann Taylor, Justice, etc.- all stores that I've never set foot in, being a guy) is closing slews of stores. 

The Gaffney outlets seem to be losing one store after another in retailer bankruptcies, more than Haywood is losing them.  I wonder if the Gaffney closures will weigh in favor of the same retailer keeping a store at Haywood (on the basis of wanting one store in the general market area)?

I also wonder if the new-ish outlets near the Charlotte airport have eliminated a lot of traffic from the Charlotte area to the Gaffney outlets.  If so, that's too bad.

5 hours ago, Cityplanner said:

Now Ascena Retail (Ann Taylor, Justice, etc.- all stores that I've never set foot in, being a guy) is closing slews of stores. 

The Gaffney outlets seem to be losing one store after another in retailer bankruptcies, more than Haywood is losing them.  I wonder if the Gaffney closures will weigh in favor of the same retailer keeping a store at Haywood (on the basis of wanting one store in the general market area)?

I also wonder if the new-ish outlets near the Charlotte airport have eliminated a lot of traffic from the Charlotte area to the Gaffney outlets.  If so, that's too bad.

Ann Taylor closed at Haywood several years ago.  There is a Loft store at Green Ridge that is part of the same group. Looks like it's safe.

Not that impressed with the Charlotte outlets either. I think some of the stores at Gaffney like the Pottery Barn Outlet is still a big draw for Charlotteans.  Gaffney also added a Crate & Barrel furniture outlet late last year. Both outlets are Simon so it looks like they would try to keep the mix at both a little unique. Last time I was at Gaffney I thought they really needed more covering/awnings over the walkways. Terrible when it rains and also now in the sun and heat.

Wonder why no redevelopment plans for the Sears space have been announced.  Surely Simon expected that store to close and had already prepared for it.

Kind of odd for Greenville to go from 3 regional malls (or 4 for a few years in the early 80s) to just one regional mall that has growing vacancies.  Who'd have ever thought that downtown would be the center of upscale shopping and that Haywood would be having some issues?

15 hours ago, timbach said:

Simon doesn't own the Sears store.

That's right. Sears hasn't been replaced at Westgate , Asheville and Anderson Malls either. Could take some time. 

Simon is apparently replacing Sears @ WestTown in Knoxville  with a large Dick's  Sporting Goods/Golf Galaxy anchor store  and that Sears closed before Haywood. That Sears was recently torn down.

Edited by vistatiger

Yes, you're both right.

I see that there are some redevelopment plans for the Sears in Asheville.

The Haywood Sears doesn't show up in the list of available properties on the Seritage website.  If the website simply hasn't been updated, that's understandable, but if it indicates that Seritage doesn't have or won't have the property, that indicates that negotiations are ongoing with another owner, perhaps.  In any event, Simon would need to take part in any redevelopment of the Sears and JCPenney anchors, so hopefully it wasn't taken by surprise by the Sears closing, and hopefully it already had been thinking about what could be done with the space.

A quick look at the Greenville County RMC website shows the Sears building and parking lot (14.14 acres) is in the name of Tf Greenville SC LLC, with a Miami address. The previous owner was SRC Facilities. The deed changed names in 2019.  Before that, it was in the name of Sears Roebuck Co. It looks to be all connected, just name entity changes. https://www.gcgis.org/apps/GreenvilleJS/?PIN=0284000201422

Edited by gman

1 hour ago, gman said:

A quick look at the Greenville County RMC website shows the Sears building and parking lot (14.14 acres) is in the name of Tf Greenville SC LLC, with a Miami address. The previous owner was SRC Facilities. The deed changed names in 2019.  Before that, it was in the name of Sears Roebuck Co. It looks to be all connected, just name entity changes. https://www.gcgis.org/apps/GreenvilleJS/?PIN=0284000201422

My guess it was part of the deal to buy the remaining several hundred Sears stores out of bankruptcy last year. Sears Holdings became Transformco owned by the former CEO of Sears according to wiki.  That is probably  Tf ? Probably never part  of the Seritage spinoff.

Edited by vistatiger