Haywood Rd Redevelopment

NBNY2GRNVL

Looks like Belk might be merging with JCPenney.  Surely that would lead to a quick closure of one anchor at Haywood, as 250 JCPenney stores are proposed to be converted to Belk stores in non-overlapping markets and the rest of the JCPenney stores would be closed.

That could mean the downfall of Belk (one company that has problems merged with another company that has even more problems; we’ve seen that before).

Edited by Cityplanner

25 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Justice is closing. The whole retail industry is collapsing. Might as well tear down Haywood Mall and put a city park on site. 

Or maybe an Amazon warehouse.

Haywood isn’t closing anytime in the near term or the long term but it is being affected by the retail apocalypse.  Maybe if Simon had invested in the mall instead of leaving its exterior and parking lot frozen in 1980 it could have attracted some of the higher-end stores that went elsewhere.   Not too late to improve, Simon.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Justice is closing. The whole retail industry is collapsing. Might as well tear down Haywood Mall and put a city park on site. 

On the positive side all of these small clothing chains closing can't be all bad news especially for the department stores. People have to buy clothing somewhere and there are still many people who are not going to buy clothing online.  Example when Toys/Babies  R Us closed Target and Walmart picked up business in those categories.

2 hours ago, Cityplanner said:

Looks like Belk might be merging with JCPenney.  Surely that would lead to a quick closure of one anchor at Haywood, as 250 JCPenney stores are proposed to be converted to Belk stores in non-overlapping markets and the rest of the JCPenney stores would be closed.

That could mean the downfall of Belk (one company that has problems merged with another company that has even more problems; we’ve seen that before).

It would effect malls in the Carolina's where Belk is heavy but some of the JCP 's in those same shopping centers like Easley and Greenwood have already closed. Belk is a better retailer than JCP IMO.  JCP has good well known nationally private labels . Could be a win win for both companies.   Interesting little ole southern Belk could go national like Macy's.

I keep reading about Belk having problems (as shown by layoffs at its headquarters).  Department stores are a declining industry.  Does Belk really want to pay $1.75B for 250 JCPenney stores (which are likely not too strong financially) and the costs involved in shutting down the remainder of the chain?   Wouldn't $1.75B be better spent in upgrading Belk's e-commerce capabilities and renovating stores?  That seems wiser.

But I digress.  Haywood will be down to 3 anchors, unless Von Maur moves in.  Nordstrom certainly isn't in expansion mode and Greenville wouldn't fit its desired demographics anyway.

12 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

Von Maur is not coming either. They could end up in Charlotte if Southpark ever loses an anchor like Neiman's. 

Haywood is in better shape than many malls  by having Belk, Dillards and Macy's all three.

I'd say Von Maur is a possibility, even if it's remote.  It's in plenty of cities similar to Greenville.  Parisian was in town for a while, and it was probably a similar chain in terms of target demographics.

Edited by Cityplanner

On 7/27/2020 at 2:48 PM, Cityplanner said:

Yes, you're both right.

I see that there are some redevelopment plans for the Sears in Asheville.

The Haywood Sears doesn't show up in the list of available properties on the Seritage website.  If the website simply hasn't been updated, that's understandable, but if it indicates that Seritage doesn't have or won't have the property, that indicates that negotiations are ongoing with another owner, perhaps.  In any event, Simon would need to take part in any redevelopment of the Sears and JCPenney anchors, so hopefully it wasn't taken by surprise by the Sears closing, and hopefully it already had been thinking about what could be done with the space.

Seritage doesn't own all the Stores some of them are owned by Sears Holdings still and were not transferred to Seritage.  I am pretty sure that is the case with both the Haywood and Spartanburg stores which have both been for sale for a while now.

I'm no expert on malls---I rarely go in one. But it seems to me that HM's best hope long-term is to create a lot more housing density around it. Or a dense mix of office and housing, with a hotel on-site, maybe.

Malls purely as destinations to me only really seem to make sense in certain weathers: long, cold northern winters or long, hot southern summers unmitigated by ocean breezes. Greenville's too far north/elevated to qualify for the latter and, obviously, too far south to qualify for the former.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

I noticed the bank at the corner of Haywood and Woods Crossing has closed. Not Wells Fargo but the other one in front of TJMaxx at Crosspointe Plaza. It has been fenced in. Anyone heard what is going there?

That bank has been closed for at least a year. 

7 hours ago, vistatiger said:

Senior Action renovating Bi-Lo shopping center and moving out to E, North and Howell Rd.  

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/business-news/senior-action-to-renovate-former-bi-lo-shopping-center-greenville-sc-location/

Good to see. That building has been vacant for eons it seems. 

11 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Good to see. That building has been vacant for eons it seems. 

True. I remember when Gold's Gym took up much of that space and there was also a beauty school. I guess Tuesday Morning is still there. With Bi-Lo disappearing soon I thought that entire shopping center was ripe to be razed for redevelopment. Will see what happens to the old grocery building since Food Lion did not pick that one up.

Edited by vistatiger
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, vistatiger said:

True. I remember when Gold's Gym took up much of that space and there was also a beauty school. I guess Tuesday Morning is still there. With Bi-Lo disappearing soon I thought that entire shopping center was ripe to be razed for redevelopment. Will see what happens to the old grocery building since Food Lion did not pick that one up.

I took my wife to Tuesday Morning this past weekend. We have found memories of the Tramps nightclub that located in that corner of that shopping center. It was a first class discotheque. 

1 hour ago, gman said:

I took my wife to Tuesday Morning this past weekend. We have found memories of the Tramps nightclub that located in that corner of that shopping center. It was a first class discotheque. 

Loved Tramps. (Or Trammps?) Wasn't there a record store next to it? Tookies??  Between those two and Scooper's ice cream, I spent a lot of youthful time and money in that strip mall. :-)

I figure that once the economy turns around, Haywood will fill all of these vacancies, but I also wonder if the future loss of JCPenney, leaving Haywood as a 3-anchor mall, and the retail apocalypse generally will require some longer-term transformation of Haywood.  

The parking lots and exterior clearly need updating.  Maybe the tenant mix will need to add more restaurants and entertainment (although downtown would win that competition) and maybe the anchors will need to be repurposed for other uses, leading to a very different Haywood in the future?

I really hope that the Haywood Mall Sears does not turn into an Amazon fulfillment center: news reports state that Simon and Amazon are in talks to turn vacant Sears space in malls around the US into that, even if it’s necessary to acquire the Sears space from Sears (i.e., even Sears stores now owned by Sears could be affected).