Haywood Rd Redevelopment

NBNY2GRNVL

7 hours ago, btoy said:

Amazon is also in talks to take over JC Penny stores as Amazon fulfillment centers as well.  The article I read that if the deal does through that the fulfillment centers will still have a small retail portion for same day pickup.

The Amazon-JCP speculation has been out there since they filed for bankruptcy. I doubt that happens at Haywood.  I would think the Spartanburg fulfillment center  serves the upstate pretty well. JCP has other bidders as well: Belk, Canada's Hudson's Bay  and Simon that could continue running them as a dept store. I just read recently  Simon already owns and runs clothing chains  Aeropostle and Forever 21 after acquiring them from bankruptcy and is interested in acquiring Brooks Brothers. 

I also wouldn't expect the Sears to become an Amazon fulfillment center.

The Haywood directory online shows 22 empty spaces plus the empty Sears.  That's a lot.  Maybe the upside of this is that it will prompt Simon to finally invest in more than just interior updates every 10 years.  Haywood could be an attractive, gleaming area, like SouthPark in Charlotte, but I don't find it to be that, largely due to the mall being just OK and in need of significant overall improvements, like a modern exterior.

4 hours ago, Cityplanner said:

I also wouldn't expect the Sears to become an Amazon fulfillment center.

The Haywood directory online shows 22 empty spaces plus the empty Sears.  That's a lot.  Maybe the upside of this is that it will prompt Simon to finally invest in more than just interior updates every 10 years.  Haywood could be an attractive, gleaming area, like SouthPark in Charlotte, but I don't find it to be that, largely due to the mall being just OK and in need of significant overall improvements, like a modern exterior.

Bon Secours Urgent Care coming to the old Kirkland's spot on Haywood next to Starbucks.

Excluding the vacant Sears, has Haywood ever had this many vacancies?

I remember that it took a few years to get fully leased; in the early '80s, there were plenty of vacancies, usually in the corridors leading to the exits, with walls covered with Cousins Properties logos.  But that was  when the mall was new and getting up to speed, and there were 3 other malls, so it's not really comparable to now.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if Magnolia Park or Greenridge would ever try to lure a bunch of stores over from Haywood, perhaps by building an expansion.

I assume that Haywood’s current vacancies are just due to tenant issues that are unrelated to Haywood-or could Haywood’s sales per square foot be slipping due to downtown, Magnolia Park and Greenridge?

Having a mall full of department stores and largely mid-tier mall chains isn’t the best strategy these days (compared to having off-price or high-end stores, which Haywood largely lacks).

12 hours ago, apaladin said:

There are plenty of vacancies at shops of Greenridge too. Haywood is not the only one. 

Four total vacancies at Greenridge. Magnolia Park and Haywood Mall are in worse shape and have higher vacancy rates than Greenridge. 

Edited by gman430

48 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Four total vacancies at Greenridge. Magnolia Park and Haywood Mall are in worse shape and have higher vacancy rates than Greenridge. 

I thought that Magnolia Park was doing a lot of business; am I wrong?  I haven’t gone there since Greenville Mall closed other than once in November when it took literally about an hour to get out of the parking lot and to I-85; it was packed.

9 minutes ago, Cityplanner said:

I thought that Magnolia Park was doing a lot of business; am I wrong?  I haven’t gone there since Greenville Mall closed other than once in November when it took literally about an hour to get out of the parking lot and to I-85; it was packed.

Tin Lizzy’s, Pier One Imports, Ruby Tuesday, and apparently Tucano’s have all closed. Several of the small shops/restaurants that were located directly along Woodruff Road within the shopping center have also closed. The trampoline park that was supposed to go inside the old Toys R Us never opened either. 

On the flip side though, a new diamond jewelry store has signed a lease for the old Ruby Tuesday space so there’s that. 

Edited by gman430

44 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Tin Lizzy’s, Pier One Imports, Ruby Tuesday, and apparently Tucano’s have all closed. Several of the small shops/restaurants that were located directly along Woodruff Road within the shopping center have also closed. The trampoline park that was supposed to go inside the old Toys R Us never opened either. 

On the flip side though, a new diamond jewelry store has signed a lease for the old Ruby Tuesday space so there’s that. 

Well...that was not very cheery news for Labor Day :w00t:

Edited by cabelagent

26 minutes ago, cabelagent said:

Well...that was not very cheery news for Labor Day :w00t:

LOL. Look at the bright side. :D At least Cabela’s is still open. Still not sure why the Greenville location doesn’t have a boat center though especially with all of the lakes around here. :( Had to drive to the Fort Mill (Charlotte) location to order and pick up my new Ranger. 

Edited by gman430

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

LOL. Look at the bright side. :D At least Cabela’s is still open. Still not sure why the Greenville location doesn’t have a boat center though especially with all of the lakes around here. :( Had to drive to the Fort Mill (Charlotte) location to order and pick up my new Ranger. 

Don’t know why...I love Cabelas :whistling:

5 hours ago, Cityplanner said:

Thanks for the info.  I looked up the stores and restaurants that closed at Magnolia Park as listed above and it looks like those chains all just had problems.  At least Haywood can find relief in that it’s not the only shopping center that has vacancies, I guess.

That's right. Has nothing to do with Haywood, GreenRidge and Magnolia's performance. National chains closing that were poorly run, saddled with debt and could not survive the shutdown. Stores and restaurants have always come and gone.

Edited by vistatiger

• 2 months later...

Forgot to mention, I heard from an employee at one of Rick Erwin's other restaurants that Saltwater Grill will not reopen.  Have not confirmed though.  It was a little pricey for the mall but I was hoping it would make it.  That was one of his most expensive build-outs.   I've always thought Haywood was a strong mall but not sure how many blows it can suffer.

Edited by greenvilleguy

13 minutes ago, greenvilleguy said:

Forgot to mention, I heard from an employee at one of Rick Erwin's other restaurants that Saltwater Grill will not reopen.  Have not confirmed though.  It was a little pricey for the mall but I was hoping it would make it.  That was one of his most expensive build-outs.   I've always thought Haywood was a strong mall but not sure how many blows it can suffer.

A national chain restaurant that people are more familiar with is probably a better option for the mall. Always thought they should have put Cheesecake Factory on that side of the mall and Grill Marks on the other.  CF would have  been more visible from Woods Crossing as well

I don't think Haywood is  going anywhere as long as those four department stores stay there. They aren't experiencing anything different that other malls aren't suffering through during this pandemic.  Now if Belk and Dillard's pull out and go further out to some new outdoor center that may be a different story. Simon is investing billions in saving JCP so they aren't going anywhere but Macy's has already said they will transition from malls to more free standing stores in the future.

2 hours ago, greenvilleguy said:

Add Clarks and Nina's to the growing list of closures at Haywood.  Also, the coming soon sign for Revelator Coffee is gone.  Lululemon popup for the old Justice space.

Clarks is closing stores generally; wasn't Nina's a locally-owned store (it was at Greenville Mall before)? 

I hope that Lululemon doesn't move from downtown.

Maybe all of these issues will prompt Simon to invest more in the mall. 

Given that Greenville has gone from 10 large department stores to 5 in the last 20-ish years, maybe Macy's would open one of its new smaller locations somewhere in addition to Haywood.  There's definitely space for more department stores in town, even though the major chains all seem to be in death mode.

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, greenvilleguy said:

Just left the mall and Lane Bryant is also permanently closed.  That’s a pretty large empty space on the upper level. 

Their owners Ascena filed bankruptcy back in July. At the time they announced 157 LB’s closing which included Columbia, Charleston and Mt. Pleasant but not Greenville. Prolly closing all now. 

Edited by apaladin

Tear the mall down, reforest a portion of the property, build a park. Environmentally engineer a connection to Laurel Creek or the ponds at the Fluor campus. Start planning the Haywood Swamp Rabbit spur now. Build a smaller mixed use development and increase the pedestrian access to/from Patewood.  To me, Haywood Rd is currently a place not worth caring about, similar to Woodruff Rd shopping centers. A lot of work is needed to save this part of town, in my opinion. No one in my inner circle goes to Haywood Rd for any reason except Papas and Beer.

Edited by Joey_Blackdogg
  • Like 2