Haywood Rd Redevelopment

NBNY2GRNVL

I don’t love the decentralization of services (including all of the previous state and county moves) to Halton. But, I also know that this is probably the most economical solution for a poor situation. While this does absorb office space, it is absorbing suburban office space. This is going to support the construction of MORE suburban office space that may or (probably) may not support the City’s long term goals for growth & planning. 

It's water under the bridge now, but I was thinking it was a shame the city didn't buy the old BB&T property in 2017.  That was 5.6 acres and the building is 4k SF larger plus it has a two level garage. The city could have kept everything DT and saved $9 million (the Beach Company paid $10mm).   It would have been a lot closer to the Law Enforcement Center too. 

That would have taken 130k SF of office space off the DT market plus the city could have done a public-private partnership for the land below Buncombe were the new apartment building went.   Something along the lines of a city garage that would serve the city building as well as the private project, such as a new class A office building or a larger residential building or both.   

The plan to road diet the street between the BB&T building and Heritage Green would be a lot easier to do if the city owned all of the South side property (which it would in this scenario). 

On 11/6/2021 at 3:56 PM, vicupstate said:

It's water under the bridge now, but I was thinking it was a shame the city didn't buy the old BB&T property in 2017.  That was 5.6 acres and the building is 4k SF larger plus it has a two level garage. The city could have kept everything DT and saved $9 million (the Beach Company paid $10mm).   It would have been a lot closer to the Law Enforcement Center too. 

That would have taken 130k SF of office space off the DT market plus the city could have done a public-private partnership for the land below Buncombe were the new apartment building went.   Something along the lines of a city garage that would serve the city building as well as the private project, such as a new class A office building or a larger residential building or both.   

The plan to road diet the street between the BB&T building and Heritage Green would be a lot easier to do if the city owned all of the South side property (which it would in this scenario). 

As a former BB&T employee, I can tell you that getting in and out of that parking garage on to the streets was a nightmare. In my humble opinion, having city offices in that location would not have been good for the employees or the citizens of Greenville. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone know what is planned for the large parcel across from Jiffy Lube. Thought they were clearing to sell but they have been working for about 3 months now, lots of infrastructure, drains, power, etc. At least one construction trailer on site now. Looks like the one diagonally across from this one is dead.

Just now, apaladin said:

Anyone know what is planned for the large parcel across from Jiffy Lube. Thought they were clearing to sell but they have been working for about 3 months now, lots of infrastructure, drains, power, etc. At least one construction trailer on site now. Looks like the one diagonally across from this one is dead.

The dead project has a shutdown notice on the sign for a long time, unsure what is happening there.

The large parcel is apartments, and was part of the ask angelia column in the Greenville news about a month back:

That northwest corner of Pelham and Haywood roads was approved for a planned development and will feature more than 300 apartment units.

The development referred to as "Adam's Hill" or "Beacon Hill" was originally approved in 2019 by the Greenville City Council as a mixed-use commercial/retail, multifamily residential, and senior living development.

The proposal at that time included a total of 450 units — 280 for multifamily and 170 for senior living —  a parking rate of 1.3 spaces per unit, large building masses, and two corner parcels with approvals for a dental/medical use and sit-down restaurant, city records show.

The Greenville News reported that the developer of the project, who'd also assembled the land for Haywood Mall and developed nearby Orchard Park, proposed $1.5 million worth of traffic improvements to alleviate congestion in exchange for the council's approval to rezone the property under the "planned development" zoning, which allows greater flexibility in exchange for more detailed city oversight.

Developer Dan Bruce, said via phone recently, there were six traffic studies completed in regards to this project. The improvements planned, he said, "should help traffic."

The project has been modified since its approval by the council. A modification approved in March 2020 resulted in the planned development having 382 multifamily units and no assisted living component, a city planning report said.

A final development plan for phase 1 of the project, approved by the city planning commission in late 2020, proposed 320 residential units and more open space. 

Bruce said though the number of residential units have been scaled back, the final total is not yet absolute. He figures it will be close to 340.

About 3.7 acres at the corner of Haywood and Pelham is still set for future development.

A lot of restaurants desire to be there, Bruce said, but no decision has been made.

• 3 months later...
17 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Is this the same developer that has proposed multi-family for this site before? I appreciate the street presence of the buildings. 

Thanks for the dump of new applications, @Vicupstate! The number of new residential units being brought before the City for approval right now seems like quite a lot. Maybe it's just the number of proposals, but it's good to see the momentum continuing. I'm glad to see developers who are hoping to cash in on Greenville's growth pursuing those opportunities within the city limits. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, apaladin said:

Did anyone ever find any renderings of the big project under construction at the corner of HaywoodHowell and Pelham. Pretty sure its a lot of apartments. Not sure if any retail but its going up quickly now. 

It should be on this thread back 3-6 pages, I would guess. 

1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

It should be on this thread back 3-6 pages, I would guess. 

Found it but doesn’t totally load. Can see the schematics then keep getting an error message.  I’m sure it has changed since that post is over 2 years old. It says 382 apartments but IIRC it was cut back to 300 or less. 

• 1 month later...

Is there any information available about income levels of Haywood Mall shoppers, vs. shoppers in other parts of town?

I was in the West End yesterday, and Lululemon was packed, packed, packed full of people.  Everyone coming in seemed to be athletic and pretty well-dressed, and the cashier was working nonstop.  And the streets in the West End were really crowded, even though it was hot outside.  Lululemon's prices are not cheap.  While this is just an anecdote, for such a high-priced store to be doing so much business, and for there to be lots of other high-end boutiques downtown, and crowds of well-dressed people, suggests that downtown attracts a pretty affluent shopper.

Conversely, look at the stores in the Dillard's wing at Haywood Mall: Center Map of Haywood Mall - A Shopping Center In Greenville, SC - A Simon Property

Multiple athletic shoe stores (and similar stores): Champs, Foot Locker, Lids, other athletic shoe stores, several T-shirt stores and customized clothing stores, and other mid-priced stores.  

I'm not criticizing or looking down on any of those stores or their clientele; it just seems like they would target a different customer than Lululemon, and they seem more moderately-priced.  (Dillard's, however, seems to be increasingly upscale.)

It just seems like downtown has succeeded in becoming a destination for upper-income shoppers, and Haywood isn't the destination that it once was for that customer base.

Edited by PuppiesandKittens

• 2 months later...