Haywood Rd Redevelopment

NBNY2GRNVL

5 hours ago, gman430 said:

I think it’s a department store and the bottom portion of it where it’s not glass is a parking garage with retailers surrounding it on the outside. Who knows when or even if this project will happen. Knowing Simon, they will probably drag their feet and the site will look the same ten years from now. Hope I am wrong though.

Maybe it's Neiman Marcus. That should go over well in Greenville. lol

I thought the park signage might be the name for the green space like "The Park @ Haywood' .  I do like the Green Space for outdoor events. Simon did similar at Phipps Plaza in Buckhead  replacing the old Parisian anchor building with a  green space called "The Green at Phipps" , a hotel and office space.

5 hours ago, btoy said:

Simon doesn't own the former Sears.

Yes. I know.  But Simon partly owns the retail chain Forever 21 which occupies space in their mall and across the back of the lower level of the former Sears. Not sure how they work that deal out.

Edited by vistatiger

With downtown already having lots of higher-end national chain clothing stores, and now Whole Foods anchoring the County Square site, I think that the combination of the two will make it more likely that a range of other higher-end national retailers (not just clothing stores) will locate downtown.  Too bad, Haywood.

57 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

With downtown already having lots of higher-end national chain clothing stores, and now Whole Foods anchoring the County Square site, I think that the combination of the two will make it more likely that a range of other higher-end national retailers (not just clothing stores) will locate downtown.  Too bad, Haywood.

I doubt Haywood is sweating over DT getting a Whole Foods.  The mall  has 4 of the few remaining department store chains left in the country  as anchors and there is probably zero chance of any of them moving  DT.

13 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

I doubt Haywood is sweating over DT getting a Whole Foods.  The mall  has 4 of the few remaining department store chains left in the country  as anchors and there is probably zero chance of any of them moving  DT.

Dillard’s just started construction on a multi million dollar renovation to their store also. That’s why there’s a bunch of construction trailers in their parking lot right now. And the mall landed Lucky Brand which was big. 

Edited by gman430

2 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

Sure, department stores won’t move.  You are correct.

But Haywood has already lost out on multiple chains that have instead gone downtown, and now I am confident that even more national chains will go downtown.

Haywood must be looking for some to fill the Sears space when it is redeveloped but I’d think that it would be harder to attract them now, with County Square showing retail strength.

2 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Sure, department stores won’t move.  You are correct.

But Haywood has already lost out on multiple chains that have instead gone downtown, and now I am confident that even more national chains will go downtown.

Haywood must be looking for some to fill the Sears space when it is redeveloped but I’d think that it would be harder to attract them now, with County Square showing retail strength.

Haywood ain't going anywhere.

4 hours ago, motonenterprises said:

Haywood ain't going anywhere.

True although it’s not as nice as it would be if all of those expensive national chain stores downtown had gone to Haywood instead.  They could have filled a big chunk of the mall.  Not complaining, just pointing it out.  And for every Madewell or Lululemon that sets up downtown, one less reason to go to Haywood.

1 minute ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

True although it’s not as nice as it would be if all of those expensive national chain stores downtown had gone to Haywood instead.  They could have filled a big chunk of the mall.  Not complaining, just pointing it out.  And for every Madewell or Lululemon that sets up downtown, one less reason to go to Haywood.

The mall and downtown are two different types of shopping.

Foot Locker is closing 400 stores in malls throughout America. Just in case the one in Greenville closes, I wanted to get ahead of the narrative that Greenville cannot support higher end stores. It is happening all over the nation. https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/foot-locker-closing-400-shopping-mall-locations-prioritize-better-earning-stores

• Thanks 3

19 hours ago, gman430 said:

Dillard’s just started construction on a multi million dollar renovation to their store also. That’s why there’s a bunch of construction trailers in their parking lot right now. And the mall landed Lucky Brand which was big. 

That's great news about Dillard's and it was needed. The store hasn't been renovated since it opened in the 90's. The Anderson mall Dillard's (built later) looks a lot better. 

On 3/20/2023 at 12:08 PM, PuppiesandKittens said:

A few new retailers were just announced for the mall but they appear for the most part to be lower end than the retailers they’re replacing. Garage is a good landing though: 

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/square-feet/haywood-mall-to-welcome-six-new-retailers/?fbclid=IwAR1RLuk15WnmuJUQtVR49roP63uAbYPI4N_0aPPIXYfsAL4bQeAwA1CxMec&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

Edited by gman430

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Are the shortened opening hours at Haywood due to staffing issues, sales issues, crime issues or something else?

Dillard’s is open on Saturdays only from 11 to 8.  I drove up just after 10am yesterday and there were tumbleweeds (figuratively; garbage, literally) in the parking deck.  And I thought that Saturdays were generally a very busy day for malls.

So I drove on to Target, which had a very busy parking lot at 10:15am.

Because of the lack of foot traffic, I think most malls and stores figured out that it was a waste to open before 10:00 or 11:00. Heck, even the Tanger Outlets at the beach only open from 10:00 to 9:00. The high end Lenox Square in Atlanta opens from 10:00 to 8:00.  It is not a Greenville thing. Shorter hours are a norm, especially when so many people can order on line and pick it up or have it delivered. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, gman said:

Because of the lack of foot traffic, I think most malls and stores figured out that it was a waste to open before 10:00 or 11:00. Heck, even the Tanger Outlets at the beach only open from 10:00 to 9:00. The high end Lenox Square in Atlanta opens from 10:00 to 8:00.  It is not a Greenville thing. Shorter hours are a norm, especially when so many people can order on line and pick it up or have it delivered. 

Agreed.  Probably helps with staffing too. The South Park Dillard's is 11 to 8 M-Sa and 12-6 Sunday as is a bunch of other Dillard's I checked. Looks like that is standard hours for them now.  The Haywood store is apparently under construction.  Don't think they would be spending money on renovations if it weren't doing well.

https://armoneyandpolitics.com/dillards-stock-apple-tesla/

Edited by vistatiger
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, SVL said:

Nice first locations in state too. 

Very odd that Greenville still doesn't have the  clothing chains H&M and Maurice's.  You have to go to Spartanburg for those. 

Edited by vistatiger

1 hour ago, vistatiger said:

Nice first locations in state too. 

Very odd that Greenville still doesn't have the  clothing chains H&M and Maurice's.  You have to go to Spartanburg for those. 

Maurice’s is a low-end store but odd that there is no H&M, agreed.

Higher-end stores seem to be going downtown.

1 hour ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Maurice’s is a low-end store but odd that there is no H&M, agreed.

Higher-end stores seem to be going downtown.

Nothing wrong  with  Maurice's. This is the Haywood thread. Didn't say they would go DT but there are plenty of people DT who would shop there.  Not everyone has the money and  even those who do have the desire to throw away $125  for a pair of leggings from the Overpriced Lemon.

Edited by vistatiger

26 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

Nothing wrong  with  Maurice's. This is the Haywood thread. Didn't say they would go DT but there are plenty of people DT who would shop there.  Not everyone has the money and  even those who do have the desire to throw away $125  for a pair of leggings from the Overpriced Lemon.

Maurice’s would fit in at Haywood.  I agree with your post.