Haywood Rd Redevelopment

NBNY2GRNVL

Has there been official confirmation yet on this? It's baffling how it's been rumored to go in that spot for what, like a year? Yet, to my knowledge nothing has been announced. I know there's CCF haters here, but I would think Simon Malls and/or the city of Greenville itself would be crowing about it.

It's finally official.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/30386750/official-cheesecake-factory-acquires-building-permit-at-haywood-mall

I love how the CCF spokesman can't confirm anything without a lease, but they have a building permit? Whatever. At least it looks "official" now. Hopefully be done by my birthday in February (not likely) -- just for the cheesecake. Their food is just...okay.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Haywood Road Resurgence

Nice recap of the last few years. Now that the under-grounding is done, it would be nice to see the city start some other Master Plan items.

Simon needs to do more to the exterior of the Mall too. A new layer of asphalt on the parking lot would do a lot for aesthetics. It is probably due for it anyway.  I wish Sears would just close already so something else could be done there.  

Cheesecake Factory is doing well. Maybe that will lead to more 'add-on' tenants.  

3 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Haywood Road Resurgence

Nice recap of the last few years. Now that the under-grounding is done, it would be nice to see the city start some other Master Plan items.

Simon needs to do more to the exterior of the Mall too. A new layer of asphalt on the parking lot would do a lot for aesthetics. It is probably due for it anyway.  I wish Sears would just close already so something else could be done there.  

Cheesecake Factory is doing well. Maybe that will lead to more 'add-on' tenants.  

The problem for Simon is that the department store own their on buildings and parking lots. I don't know how much they can order the department stores to do with their property if at all. 

• 9 months later...

9.    Informal Review

MD 17-87  Application by DANIEL REALTY COMPANY for a MULTI FAMILY DEVELOPMENT for 242-unit apartment complex on approximately 11 acres located at OLD AIRPORT RD and WOODS CROSSING RD (TM# 0260000100110)

Remember when there was going to be something nice here. 

1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

9.    Informal Review

MD 17-87  Application by DANIEL REALTY COMPANY for a MULTI FAMILY DEVELOPMENT for 242-unit apartment complex on approximately 11 acres located at OLD AIRPORT RD and WOODS CROSSING RD (TM# 0260000100110)

Some developer had an idea for big box stores, which the site plan didn't come close to its requirements. 

On 9/30/2017 at 3:04 PM, vicupstate said:

9.    Informal Review

Article from the UBJ on this:

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/news/plans-242-unit-multi-family-development-submitted-city-greenville/

Legacy-dog-park-1024x663.jpg

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

There was an AP article in today's print edition of Gville News about Sears selling some of its stores. The Haywood Mall store is staked off.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

What do you mean by stakes? Like orange flagged stakes? Nordstrom maybe?

On 11/9/2017 at 10:00 AM, vicupstate said:

There was an AP article in today's print edition of Gville News about Sears selling some of its stores. The Haywood Mall store is staked off.

The retailer also announced last week that it would close 63 more stores after the holidays.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-sears-pension-deal-store-sales-1109-story.html

Sears has already sold a number of their stores to mall operators for new development. Some of them Sears has  leased space back and downsized the size of the store to like one floor for example. If they sell a property doesn't  necessarily mean they have closed it all together but  just shared it with other retailers. Some of the Sears store at Haywood is already shared with Forever 21 on the bottom floor. They walled off some of the space at the back of the lower level a few years back and the Haywood Sears lost some square footage then.  If Simon purchases it I could see them wanting to divide it up  and add some smaller spaces (junior anchors) like H&M to the space. I don't think we will see another full line department store there. Time will tell.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

Sears has already sold a number of their stores to mall operators for new development. Some of them Sears has  leased space back and downsized the size of the store to like one floor for example. If they sell a property doesn't  necessarily mean they have closed it all together but  just shared it with other retailers. Some of the Sears store at Haywood is already shared with Forever 21 on the bottom floor. They walled off some of the space at the back of the lower level a few years back and the Haywood Sears lost some square footage then.  If Simon purchases it I could see them wanting to divide it up  and add some smaller spaces (junior anchors) like H&M to the space. I don't think we will see another full line department store there. Time will tell.

H&M is probably going to take over the former Palmetto Moon space along with some of Sears like Forever 21 did. 

That is some good info.  It sounds like whatever way it goes, it will be less 'Sears' and more of something else.  That would be an improvement 

I would love to get H & M.

Now that the Fluor property is spoken for with nothingburger apartments,  now would be a good time to update the Haywood Master Plan. This area could be a lot better than it is now, but the property owners including Simon need to be open to going big. 

I was hoping that Von Maur, the Midwestern chain that is similar to Parisian (which was at Greenville Mall) and expanded to Atlanta, would take over the Sears space.  Hopefully department stores' hard times don't mean that Greenville will never get more of them, as I would prefer a higher-grade department store than Belk/Dillard's/Macy's. 

It does seem as though Sears boxes are generally repurposed into smaller Sears stores + a mix of stores, or no Sears + a mix of stores, instead of another department store, though. 

I wonder how the Haywood Sears does.  It seems so empty, even when the rest of the mall is busy, and the Sears chain's recent 15% drop in same-store sales is a massive decrease.

Edited by PuppiesandKittens