Haywood Rd Redevelopment

NBNY2GRNVL

7 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

I still suggest that Simon build another garage on the side of the mall. That would allow them to parcel off some more land round the mall and sacrifice some other-than-Black-Friday needless parking. 

6 hours ago, vicupstate said:

I would just expand the one they have now, but I agree. I would like to see a 3-4 story office building with parking underneath replace the Boot Barn and or Applebee's.  

Haywood could over time morph into our version of South Park or Buckhead. If it doesn't it will eventually die off.   

Since they built the Dillards wing, I've wondered whether doing something similar at the other end would one day be desirable  or feasible--and by doing so create our version of South Park. Now that Sears might go the way of the dodo, probably not any time soon. But I agree: there's a lot of seemingly wasted acreage around that mall.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Sears at Asheville Mall could be replaced with cinema, retail, restaurants, 6 story apartment building becoming true mixed use development. Would love to see Haywood Mall replace Sears with something similar to this.

C'mon Simon step it up at Haywood.

http://wlos.com/news/local/sears-redevelopment-plans-propose-apartments-retail-movie-theater

51 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

Sears at Asheville Mall could be replaced with cinema, retail, restaurants, 6 story apartment building becoming true mixed use development. Would love to see Haywood Mall replace Sears with something similar to this.

C'mon Simon step it up at Haywood.

http://wlos.com/news/local/sears-redevelopment-plans-propose-apartments-retail-movie-theater

Love it. I also love how the article is like “no word as to if the Sears will be part of the redevelopment”. 

I would think that Simon treats Haywood Mall as a cash cow.  It has no mall competition, so any store that locates only in malls will have to locate there.  The mall hasn't really been updated in 37 years (other than recurring cosmetic updates and the addition of the Dillard's wing now over 20 years ago) and still does a good business, despite its ugly 1980-era anchor buildings and crumbling parking lot.  So I'd think that Simon wouldn't invest substantial amounts in the mall unless it has to.  Maybe the influx of chain stores downtown would make Simon realize that it has to do so.

I'm hoping that Von Maur (apparently an upper-middle department store chain) takes the Sears space, or part of it.

18 minutes ago, StrangeCock said:

So it hasn't really been updated, other than all the times that it has. Haywood Mall is drastically different than it was 30 years ago.

It has looked the same for the 21.5 years I have lived here, except they spruced up one entrance and added Cheesecake Factory and opened the Grill Marks space to the exterior.  Yes, that is better than nothing but it needs a lot more.  They have updated the interior but that isn't what it needs. The whole area needs a reboot. Simon needs to be more proactive and work with the city to reposition the whole area. 

That Asheville SEARS looks awful. Ugliest mall store I have ever seen.  

2 hours ago, vicupstate said:

It has looked the same for the 21.5 years I have lived here, except they spruced up one entrance and added Cheesecake Factory and opened the Grill Marks space to the exterior.  Yes, that is better than nothing but it needs a lot more.  They have updated the interior but that isn't what it needs. The whole area needs a reboot. Simon needs to be more proactive and work with the city to reposition the whole area. 

That Asheville SEARS looks awful. Ugliest mall store I have ever seen.  

21.5 years? They have renovated all three exterior mall entrances with stacked stone as well as the food court entrance with a large wood overhang with patio around 2005. 

What would you do with the exterior? I like the earthier colors of the brick.  Painting brick is a horrible idea. Look at the white and gray  Belk store now. It looks cheap and horrible on the outside and doesn't match the  beige brick of the rest of the  mall. 

I remember the Asheville Mall Sears exterior has that ugly looking stucco that looks like it was made with ground up pebbles that was popular in the early 70's.

9 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

I would think that Simon treats Haywood Mall as a cash cow.  It has no mall competition, so any store that locates only in malls will have to locate there.  The mall hasn't really been updated in 37 years (other than recurring cosmetic updates and the addition of the Dillard's wing now over 20 years ago) and still does a good business, despite its ugly 1980-era anchor buildings and crumbling parking lot.  So I'd think that Simon wouldn't invest substantial amounts in the mall unless it has to.  Maybe the influx of chain stores downtown would make Simon realize that it has to do so.

I'm hoping that Von Maur (apparently an upper-middle department store chain) takes the Sears space, or part of it.

It may not take much investment from Simon. I think Sears owns many of their stores as well as the land( parking lots) they sit own and taking it upon themselves (taking on more of a landlord role) to redevelop many of their mall anchor stores into a more mixed use in conjunction with mall owners. I just don't see Greenville getting a Von Maur or a full line Nordstrom store. I think it's more likely to see junior anchors there like H&M and possibly a hotel or residential building  like Asheville Mall is getting.

Edited by vistatiger

48 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

It may not take much investment from Simon. I think Sears owns many of their stores as well as the land( parking lots) they sit own and taking it upon themselves (taking on more of a landlord role) to redevelop many of their mall anchor stores into a more mixed use in conjunction with mall owners. I just don't see Greenville getting a Von Maur or a full line Nordstrom store. I think it's more likely to see junior anchors there like H&M and possibly a hotel or residential building  like Asheville Mall is getting.

Fair points.  My hope for getting a Von Maur is that (1) the chain indicated that it would expand up to the Carolinas from its local Atlanta base and (2) we had a Parisian 20 years ago and Ivey’s before that but now nothing that is an upper-level department store.  Hopefully Von Maur isn’t being suffering like other department stores are- even Lord & Taylor seems in a dire position.

Greenville couldn’t support a Nordstrom; I agree with you about that.

17 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Fair points.  My hope for getting a Von Maur is that (1) the chain indicated that it would expand up to the Carolinas from its local Atlanta base and (2) we had a Parisian 20 years ago and Ivey’s before that but now nothing that is an upper-level department store.  Hopefully Von Maur isn’t being suffering like other department stores are- even Lord & Taylor seems in a dire position.

Greenville couldn’t support a Nordstrom; I agree with you about that.

I remember that.  By Carolina's I wonder if they meant Charlotte and Raleigh.

I'm surprised Von Maur hasn't come to Charlotte. Northlake Mall has room for more anchors with just Belk, Macy's and Dillard's. SouthPark is pretty anchored up.

Nordstrom closed a couple of underperforming full line stores at the Mall of Georgia as well as Orlando here in the south.  I think Von Maur replaced the Nordstrom at Mall of Georgia in Buford.

Edited by vistatiger

The city's Master Plan for this area should be the ultimate goal. The Fluor property has already been taken out of the mix and that is a bad thing.   Really the whole area between Halton Road and Haywood should be looked at.  There is still a bit of vacant land on the perimeter.   

They could start with just a fresh coat of asphalt on the HM parking lots and Haywood Road itself.  That would at least make the whole area look less dated and fresher.     The Asheville Mall plans look to be a decent example to follow. 

22 hours ago, vistatiger said:

21.5 years? They have renovated all three exterior mall entrances with stacked stone as well as the food court entrance with a large wood overhang with patio around 2005. 

What would you do with the exterior? I like the earthier colors of the brick.  Painting brick is a horrible idea. Look at the white and gray  Belk store now. It looks cheap and horrible on the outside and doesn't match the  beige brick of the rest of the  mall. 

I remember the Asheville Mall Sears exterior has that ugly looking stucco that looks like it was made with ground up pebbles that was popular in the early 70's.

The exterior updates are minor.  Haywood’s exterior still looks substantially as it did in 1980.  Look at the updates to SouthPark: the 1980- or 1990-era mall is drastically different throughout, both inside and outside.

I’d resurface the exterior with a new covering, would remodel all entrances and, most importantly, would really try to redo the entire parking lot and landscaping to make the whole complex more attractive.  It has very limited “curb appeal”, unlike SouthPark.  

Greenville deserves better.  Haywood and Laurens Roads and Pleasantburg Drive are all just unattractive and don’t create the best impression of Greenville.  

I agree with several points that have been made across this...

1) The mall needs to resurface its lots. I honestly can't recall that being done in my lifetime. and they are worn/stained by years of use. 

2) Update the plantings in the parking areas and maybe create entry plaza areas like the South Park Mall in CLT. 

3) Sell off some of the outlying parking for redevelopment. 

4) Maybe do a serious power washing of the exterior of the mall. 

10 minutes ago, Upstate Guy said:

I agree with several points that have been made across this...

1) The mall needs to resurface its lots. I honestly can't recall that being done in my lifetime. and they are worn/stained by years of use. 

2) Update the plantings in the parking areas and maybe create entry plaza areas like the South Park Mall in CLT. 

3) Sell off some of the outlying parking for redevelopment. 

4) Maybe do a serious power washing of the exterior of the mall. 

You’re hired!  Perfect solutions.

Also, unrelated to your post: why has Haywood been expanded only once in 37 years?  SouthPark, Lenox, etc. have all been expanded repeatedly.  Seems odd- McAlister Square was expanded only once as well, leaving it too small and dated to deal with more modern competitors.

Edited by PuppiesandKittens

1 hour ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Also, unrelated to your post: why has Haywood been expanded only once in 37 years?  SouthPark, Lenox, etc. have all been expanded repeatedly.  Seems odd- McAlister Square was expanded only once as well, leaving it too small and dated to deal with more modern competitors.

Easy...downtown is only a couple miles away. It pulled a bunch of the mall-like stores

14 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Wasn't HM's expansion at least partly motivated by a proposal to build a mega-mall between Greenville and Spartanburg? I think Westgate expanded at about the same time, and the two expansions essentially killed off the mega-mall idea.

So, I suppose another HM expansion will only come about when a worthy competitor comes along. Or demographics overcomes the owners' reluctance. Neither of which seems to be on the horizon.