Haywood Rd Redevelopment

NBNY2GRNVL

1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

Simon says.

No. 

Simon sucks. 

Let's just sit on a cash cow and let it die off slowly, instead of investing now so that it lasts another generation. 

And it DOES have competition. If the traffic on Woodruff didn't suck so bad, then HM would be suffering more than it is.   

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Simon better be careful or these nice national retailers will continue to go elsewhere like Brooks Brothers, Anthropologie, Orvis, and Lululemon did with going downtown. With BridgeWay Station now under construction, the mall will have even more competition to land these high quality tenants upon completion. 

You're right, there is competition, but in my opinion not direct competition that another mall would provide. Or to use economic terminology, another mall could/would be a substitute. Woodruff Rd. and DT are complements.

And Gman's observation is spot on: as it stands now, it's the retailers inside HM that could force Simon's hand. Let's hope that storm is already brewing, and that Simon responds appropriately.

I'd think that the sales per square foot at Haywood over the past few years would be readily available, perhaps in Simon's annual reports at sec.gov.  That would show how the mall is doing.

Clearly 2 of the anchors are part of underperforming chains: Sears and JCPenney.

The slew of upscale stores that landed at Greenville Mall in the '90s didn't doom Haywood, so I don't see the downtown resurgence putting Haywood out of business, but it could definitely adversely affect it.   Don't we have other national chains downtown- Bluemercury for one?  Are others in the pipeline for downtown?

Honestly don't recall anything extra special about GM. It had Monkey Ward on one end and  JB White on the other....smaller stores between that had no relevant  shopping memories. HM killed GM...it was huge and offered a much stronger shopping venue. Haywood Road was enlarged ... 385 was nearby & restaurants, other shopping venues popped up....the downward demise of GM was a certainty.  I worked at Belks in 1981...HM was an attractive shopping venue. Granted that it needs changes, renovations but it remains a viable shopping destination for upstate SC. Scratching my head on GM being "much nicer".

6 hours ago, cabelagent said:

Honestly don't recall anything extra special about GM. It had Monkey Ward on one end and  JB White on the other....smaller stores between that...Scratching my head on GM being "much nicer".

Greenville Mall was a dive before 1995, but after the 1995 expansion, it had Parisian in the middle and much nicer stores, and it was very attractive and new then.  Harold’s in particular was a higher-end store; the salespeople would serve drinks as you shopped.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Greenville Mall was a dive before 1995, but after the 1995 expansion, it had Parisian in the middle and much nicer stores, and it was very attractive and new then.  Harold’s in particular was a higher-end store; the salespeople would serve drinks as you shopped.

Ahh...now we know.  Shopping + drinks = nicer stores + attractive mall   :tw_glasses:

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:20 AM, PuppiesandKittens said:

I remember GM had that Intimate bookshop chain with the creeky wood floors ( chain out of Charlotte-Southpark had one for years ) after the 90's renovation.   Also Storehouse moved into the mall from Pleasantburg and they added Oshman's Supersports as an anchor, they added  Parisian, built a new 2 story Montgomery Ward and expanded JBWhite  which was always a very popular store.

I always preferred the  older Greenville Mall over McAllister and Haywood.  The early GM was always my favorite  mall as a kid  with the soaring vaulted wood ceilings and pyramid shaped skylights, tall fountains at center court and the deep sunken conversation pits with benches and trees. I hated the way the wood ceilings were painted white with 90's teal green  during the renovations. I remember much about the older late 70's early 80's GM including the smaller cinema in the mall before Hollywood 20 was built, Morrison's Cafeteria, Two Guys Pizza.  Greenville's original Gap store was there, a pet store, Camelot Music, it also had a Karmelkorn which was a staple in 70's/80's malls.

Edited by vistatiger

13 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

...including the smaller cinema in the mall before Hollywood 20 was built...

The Plitt. At the entrance on the Montgomery Ward end of the mall. The main attraction for me at GM back in the late 70's/early '80's.

9 hours ago, vistatiger said:

I always preferred the  older Greenville Mall over McAllister and Haywood.  The early GM was always my favorite  mall as a kid  with the soaring vaulted wood ceilings and pyramid shaped skylights, tall fountains at center court and the deep sunken conversation pits with benches and trees. I hated the way the wood ceilings were painted white with 90's teal green  during the renovations. 

There was a period after the renovation (90s?) where the lighting at night inside GM didn't seem adequate.   I never noticed or thought about it before the renovation.  I mentioned this to my hairdresser and she said the same thing.   I could imagine this would  have affected shopper's choices as well.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:11 AM, bikeoid said:

There was a period after the renovation (90s?) where the lighting at night inside GM didn't seem adequate.   I never noticed or thought about it before the renovation.  I mentioned this to my hairdresser and she said the same thing.   I could imagine this would  have affected shopper's choices as well.

It was dark in  GM at night back in the 80' s but I don't remember it being a problem after the renovation. I think Haywood now could use  more lighting especially on the lower mall level.

I think the main problem with GM was it lost its department store anchors through bankruptcy (Montgomery Ward) and mergers (JBWhite with Dillard's and Parisian/Proffitt's with Belk)  I also thought GM made a big mistake not luring into the mall stores like Bed, Bath and Beyond, Old Navy and Target which they recruited to the perimeter of the property  and across the street.  Had  they filled empty space at the mall with those stores it would probably still exist today in some form.

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:53 PM, Exile said:

The Plitt. At the entrance on the Montgomery Ward end of the mall. The main attraction for me at GM back in the late 70's/early '80's.

Yes. The Plitt was it. LOL. I can't remember if it had 2 or 3 screens. I do recall my parents taking me to see Superman there with Christopher Reeve right after GM opened. Great memories.

Edited by vistatiger

3 hours ago, vistatiger said:

Yes. The Plitt was it. LOL. I can't remember if it had 2 or 3 screens. I do recall my parents taking me to see Superman there with Christopher Reeve right after GM opened. Great memories.

Two screens. I can remember being there often, running into old friends there, but for the life of me I can't remember a single movie I saw there. Must not have been anything memorable, because I remember seeing, e.g., Jaws, Earthquake (with Sensaround!:w00t:), and Star Wars at the Astro 1, Rocky at the Camelot, Blazing Saddles at the Plaza, and less memorable movies at the Mall Cinema, Bijou, Haywood Road. But I come up empty at the Plitt.

• 1 month later...

New Rick Erwin restaurant concept slated for Haywood Mall. This strikes me as a little odd, especially the location. 

“The longstanding Greenville restaurant group is growing again, with a new restaurant planned for a 5,500-square-foot space at Haywood Mall. The space is located on the bottom level, on the Haywood Road side in the former Palmetto Moon location.”

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/life/2018/08/02/rick-erwin-dining-open-new-greenville-restaurant-haywood-mall/884355002/

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/rick-erwin-dining-group-announces-new-seafood-restaurant-at-haywood-mall/

Edited by Jet-set

27 minutes ago, Jet-set said:

New Rick Erwin restaurant concept slated for Haywood Mall. This strikes me as a little odd, especially the location. 

“The longstanding Greenville restaurant group is growing again, with a new restaurant planned for a 5,500-square-foot space at Haywood Mall. The space is located on the bottom level, on the Haywood Road side in the former Palmetto Moon location.”

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/life/2018/08/02/rick-erwin-dining-open-new-greenville-restaurant-haywood-mall/884355002/

I agree with you.  Being in the middle of the mall (instead of by an entrance) and being in sort of a rough part of the mall is indeed odd.

2 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

I agree with you.  Being in the middle of the mall (instead of by an entrance) and being in sort of a rough part of the mall is indeed odd.

I think you’re confused. It’s not going in the middle of the mall. It’s going to be at the entrance between Sears and Macy’s where Edge is now right near Apple. That’s the old Palmetto Moon location before they moved. 

Oh and I don’t think it’s weird at all with Grill Marks now there. The two restaurants coincide well together in my opinion. Now where is that Nordstrom? 

Edited by gman430

Would’ve preferred an outparcel site. The overflow parking lots right next to Haywood are ugly, especially with the tractor trailers parked in them all the time.

Edge is likely moving-they are a new store correct?

Side note: Haywood Grill closed at some point with no fanfare. 

Edited by Jet-set

8 hours ago, gman430 said:

I think you’re confused. It’s not going in the middle of the mall. It’s going to be at the entrance between Sears and Macy’s where Edge is now right near Apple. That’s the old Palmetto Moon location before they moved. 

Oh and I don’t think it’s weird at all with Grill Marks now there. The two restaurants coincide well together in my opinion. Now where is that Nordstrom? 

You’re right.  Thanks.

I can’t see a Nordstrom coming to Greenville, unfortunately.  I’m thinking that the days of higher-end department stores in Greenville (Ivey’s and Parisian) are unfortunately likely over for good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

I noticed the Coach store at Haywood has closed.  A new Bath and Body Works and White Barn Candle is under construction in the old Ann Taylor space across from it.  I'm guessing Lego will go in the old Bath and Body Works space on the upper level when they move?

Not surprising about Coach. Always dead when I would walk by. How it stayed in business this long is baffling to me.