Haywood Rd Redevelopment

NBNY2GRNVL

41 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

I noticed the Coach store at Haywood has closed.  A new Bath and Body Works and White Barn Candle is under construction in the old Ann Taylor space across from it.  I'm guessing Lego will go in the old Bath and Body Works space on the upper level when they move?

I think I also saw a Bath and Body Works being built at Greenridge in the old Salsaritas space. 

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

How is the Sears store at Haywood remaining open through the latest store closings: is it "saved" just because the rent is so low and it hasn't been bought by Simon or otherwise prepared for redevelopment?  A store with that low level of traffic usually would be on any chain's closure list, I'd think.

They own the building so there is no rent. 

So I looked it up and with the latest closures, I think the only Sears left in SC is Greenville, Rock Hill and Myrtle Beach. The only Kmarts left would be Greenville, Sumter, Lexington and West Columbia. So they only have 7 stores total that still aren’t on a closure list. 

I would expect that the Myrtle Beach Sears will go next since it is out of the way for distribution purposes. I would also think that for Kmart the Sumter store and one of the Columbia area stores (Lexington or West Columbia) would be next. 

This store count doesn’t consider the Outlet or Hometown stores since those are ran a little differently if I remember. 

Has anyone gone to the Sears or Kmart websites in the last day? It’s kind of sad because the first thing you see if “WE ARE OPEN”. I mean i just don’t see how they can improve. Most of the items they stock are old, generic brands, etc. they usually aren’t stocked either. 

Anyone planning on doing some Christmas shopping at Kmart or Sears this year??

8 hours ago, btoy said:

Also, they have had that store on a list of assets they are looking to sell for months now.  Spartanburg store on that list as well.

Would you mind sharing a link if you have one?  I believe you; I’m just curious about the details.

I don’t see Nordstrom coming to the site but hopefully it’ll be another department store.  I wouldn’t want small tenants to be lured away from downtown.

22 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Would you mind sharing a link if you have one?  I believe you; I’m just curious about the details.

I don’t see Nordstrom coming to the site but hopefully it’ll be another department store.  I wouldn’t want small tenants to be lured away from downtown.

What department store would you expect? Most are downsizing or closing. 

I heard a Sears employee say that store is Top 50 for what ever that's worth these days. Probably don't have to do much to be a top store in that chain. Will probably be the last to go.

No way they will land another department store. Don't forget Forever 21  already leases part of the  lower level space of Sears. Going to make it  little difficult to demolish it. I look for it to be subdivided further into smaller junior anchors eventually. Sears could eventually shrink their footprint  at Haywood to the upper level. They have become smaller at other locations and leased the rest to other retailers.

10 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

It was something that was emailed to me as a PDF.

Edited by btoy
grammer

The best way would be to rip it off and make something completely different on the end.

Scottsdale Fashion Square did something similar a few years back. The tore down the old department store on the east side and added a new section of mall with stores.

They they later added on a two story Dicks/Movie theater. 

The mall needs something more than just 10-7pm stores to eventually survive. It needs more 24/7 (or close to it) life. This is important for sales for the stores and restaurants and whatever else going forward. 

• 1 month later...
43 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Haywood at Pelham

Apartments, Senior Housing, Sphinx, Comm. outparcel

I like the infill.

Just two things: Too much hardy plank in the design (DRB will see this anyway) and they need to have a connection into the Beacon Ridge apartment entrance on the west side. There is no excuse not to have an internal connection. Would allow those residents to go straight to the Sphinx without having to go on Pelham and provide an extra exit. 

52 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Haywood at Pelham

6 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

I like the infill.

Just two things: Too much hardy plank in the design (DRB will see this anyway) and they need to have a connection into the Beacon Ridge apartment entrance on the west side. There is no excuse not to have an internal connection. Would allow those residents to go straight to the Sphinx without having to go on Pelham and provide an extra exit. 

Agreed. Exciting to see this. Hopefully the current Spinx and the area surrounding it are redeveloped as well. 

52 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Haywood at Pelham

6 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

I like the infill.

Agreed. Exciting to see this. Hopefully the current Spinx and the area surrounding it are redeveloped as well. 

2 hours ago, Danmire said:

That intersection is also the highest point in the City of Greenville.

Almost 1200'. Only a few feet shorter than Roper Mtn.

With the exception of the Hilton, I've never been very impressed with the way that area has developed. Across Pelham, facing Haywood, Carolina First (now TD) started in an old SCN branch building, but never kept a bigger presence there once they outgrew it. The two old Henderson Advertising buildings--where the hotel company now is, I believe--are dated.

To me, this continues a tradition of underwhelming development at what is literally the most prominent intersection in town. I have a hard time believing this is the highest and best use. I wonder if there's some intractable zoning issue or title restriction. .....And btoy answers the question literally as I'm typing it!

• Like 1