Haywood Rd Redevelopment

NBNY2GRNVL

7 hours ago, johnpro318 said:

Yep ax the gas station and make it TALLER. We need more housing close to the city and everyone is wasting valuable land with four and five story apartments. 

Couldn't agree more John! Before we blink Greenville is going to be a smaller version of CLT/ATL,  prime examples of urban sprawl. 

I was at Haywood Mall tonight for the first time in a while. I was surprised there were so many empty stores. Even the Starbucks upstairs at the food court is closed. Did it move? The quality of stores seems to be down also. Greenville Gem Mind?? Noticed some of the public furniture is ragged also. FYI the new "bar"  did not have a single person in it. This one won't last long. I was really surprised by what I saw tonight.

I'm sure Amazon and such have had an affect. But for whatever reason, after their heyday, malls tend to head downward without pause.  There is never a point where they try to reposition or reinvent or even refresh the place. 

When the city made such a push to boost this area a few years back, Simon really didn't seem to engage.  That was the opportunity to  build on the outparcels  and  modernize the place.  The surrounding area has improved but the Fluor property was developed well short of its potential. 

Too bad, Simon, you missed a golden opportunity.  

On 4/27/2019 at 11:20 AM, gman430 said:

Why go to a mall when I can go downtown and enjoy the outdoor weather instead? 

Agreed.  I also find downtown much more aesthetically appealing than the Haywood area generally, and the stores and clientele downtown are higher-end.

Plus dogs are banned from Haywood Mall, as far as I know.

I still have to nearly pinch myself every time I see the downtown Brooks Brothers, located where Woolworth's was (did anyone actually shop there in the '80s?).  Downtown is just great.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, btoy said:

Make it right in and right out only and it would be fine.  Gas stations do not create traffic they are utilized by the traffic already present.

I don’t know if I agree. If I need gas, I go to the nearest QT. I do not pass one to work so I drive out of my way to get to it. I’m creating traffic that would not be there if the gas station was not there. 

1 hour ago, johnpro318 said:

I don’t know if I agree. If I need gas, I go to the nearest QT. I do not pass one to work so I drive out of my way to get to it. I’m creating traffic that would not be there if the gas station was not there. 

I with you. I pass several gas stations to get to a QT. I know a lot of folks that do the same. QT's do create traffic. Speaking of QT, I am still amazed at folks that don't use the at least monthly coupon from Publix. If you purchase $50.00 worth of groceries, you can buy a $50.00 gas card for $40.00. It's a no-brainer. 

5 hours ago, gman said:

I with you. I pass several gas stations to get to a QT. I know a lot of folks that do the same. QT's do create traffic. Speaking of QT, I am still amazed at folks that don't use the at least monthly coupon from Publix. If you purchase $50.00 worth of groceries, you can buy a $50.00 gas card for $40.00. It's a no-brainer. 

Not just QT. We've done the same with Shell and, I believe, BP (though up here BP has an equivalent deal with Harris Teeter, but points-based and tied to your VIC card and so usable at any time). I would assume other gas cards are included...maybe all of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...