City Centre (Formerly 215 E. Central Blvd) | 28-Story Residential [Approved]

Ocityst

I remembered back then when someone tried to build a ~5 stories building by the farmer market area, we have complaint about it casting shadow in the park and stuff....why would we assume this building which is higher will get built this time around?

Is that really what stopped that from being built, though? With this new building, it would be a pretty ridiculous argument given all the buildings on Central already cast shadows over the sidewalks on that side of the park.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The retail plans are intriguing. On the ground floor, the whole 8k sqft is contiguous, not little 1000ish storefronts like we're seeing in Eola South - it could accommodate a larger tenant or two.
The 11th floor, I think, could be used for a fine dining restaurant. It's the entire floor-plate with high ceilings and has its own entrance from the SE corner of the building.

Is that really what stopped that from being built, though? With this new building, it would be a pretty ridiculous argument given all the buildings on Central already cast shadows over the sidewalks on that side of the park.

Argument of shadows from a building here is pretty dumb, seeing they wanted to chop all the oak trees down on central for that idea of "new ampitheather back stage load in semi truck, dumpster area". Now that is dumbest idea I've ever heard, ever.

You can get real technical and find the angle at which it is being a disservice from 4:40pm on said day on June X, casting down X amount of shadow on X amount of sidewalk path before official eastern time zone sundown, versus given ratio of time at which no shadow is cast. Winner is the building. The shadow people not so much. What's the height again? 360'-ish?

This building looks great - prettiest rendering since Tradition Towers - I really hope it gets built. Agree it should be condos, but the market just isn't there for that...As for the "shadows", I think that arguement was used mostly as an objective justification for those who didn't want taller buildings on the Thornton Park side of the park, specifically right by the playground.  The south and southwest end of the park already has taller buildings lining it, and this definitely fits in with the scope (particularly if the University Club and (far-fetched) boutique hotel next to the chruch get built).  I'm OK with folks not wanting to box in the park completely, especially since the neighborhood character immediately north and east of the park are bungalow homes.  I like the idea of high rises bracketing S and W, keeping the other two sides continuous with  Thornton Park and Eola Heights

It's very French neo-Baroque; reminds me of a few buildings in Turtle Creek in Dallas (which is the home of the lead architect).  Seems like the kind of place a bunch of pharmaceutical drug reps would live, not the young millenial "creative class" types Orlando covets...

I zoomed in on pages 18 and 19; I love this building. Also, the plans show that this building is 335'4". I think this would be very impressive in this location. 

Throw in a copper roof and I think I'll start saving money to move in! 

I walked around Lake Eola today, i agree with your statement. There should be more residential around the lake!

Saving the house is a nice thought, tho I have never been in it and can not attest to it's worth. But, lets be honest. Every city in the world has torn down buildings to build something that will last longer. We did that when we recently expanded Lake Eola Park. 

• 1 month later...

The Ladies of the Rosland Club of Orlando need to take a step back. Their building encroaches on the park and is a members only/gated facility. Now, I've been there many times, but exactly how does their presence contribute to Lake Eola and the City? It doesn't, and I think that's what scares them most. 

And those people worried about the "view from" Lake Eola... well that's a crock.At least eight skyscrapers were built around the lake in the last ten years.

I understand their complaints, but you're right... this members only facility adds nothing to the city or lake eola. I would probably be complaining if I owned a Solaire unit with east views. However, even then, I would reason this project is for the betterment of the city. I'm excited for this... though, that happens to be the one 7-11 downtown I actually frequent.

You have to wonder how much of the protest for this building was actually secretively spearheaded by the University Club development. Surely they were the most opposed to this building going up and blocking any views of Lake Eola the apartments were going to have (and increased rent that would be charged for said apartments).  And more competition for rentals from a much better looking building on the same corner has to be a scary proposition for any lender to finance.  I think it's a delusional pipe dream to think that both of these buildings even with approval will end up being constructed in the next 5 years, especially when you factor in that we know what a challenge it is to go 20+ stories vertical in Orlando with rentals (hence no Skyhouse II or Citi Tower).  The developers of both buildings have to at least suspect in the back of their minds that there is only room for one.

If I was a betting man I would put money on the U Club being behind the ridiculously over the top protest for this building yesterday.  Not hard to believe that one old money old person club would help support another old money old person club. Although the U Club did discriminate against women until a few decades ago, so maybe the Rosalind Club isn't too keen to help out.

I think it's a delusional pipe dream to think that both of these buildings even with approval will end up being constructed in the next 5 years, especially when you factor in that we know what a challenge it is to go 20+ stories vertical in Orlando with rentals (hence no Skyhouse II or Citi Tower).

Just FYI on Citi Tower...it's supposed to break ground any day now if you believe this article

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2015/07/work-on-new-downtown-orlando-apartment-tower-to.html

I wish I had time to troll the people in the Save Lake Eola group on Facebook.

Fun facts:

the creator of the group/website lives in Jax Beach and is the grandneice of a former namesake of the Lubbe home.  So I guess she's her family sold out...

the creator of the change.org petition lives in Solaire and I guess is mad that his purchase several blocks from Lake Eola didn't come with control over the other city blocks.

Rosalind Club ...enough said

For the well intentioned minions that jumped on a cause without thinking it through - id love to ask:

Are you a patron of World of Beer or Relax Grill?

Whats your favorite past time in the SW corner of the park?  

Maybe we can start a competing Facebook group - "Save the Rosalind/Central 7-11!"

I bought a unit at the Solaire during Pre-construction (and still own it). It was well known at the time that other proposals (Tradition Towers) would eventually block the view on the east side. It's only matter of time before something blocks the Solaire. Too many prime lots between it and the Lake. There was also a massive proposal by Cameron Kuhn directly across Magnolia from Solaire at one point during the Solaire construction and of course it died with the bust as well. So that's at least 3 potential lots that would block Solaire in the future. Not worth the fight. Probably more valuable for the Solaire residents long term if Downtown keeps growing and adding density.

Speaking of Tradition Towers it would have been nice to see this proposal and Tradition Towers on the same rendering. I'm guessing they would have looked pretty sweet together. Also, would be curious to see this and the new University Club on the same proposal. Probably will really fill some holes in the skyline.

Can anyone support/refute the idea that this building would cast a huge shadow on the park? It's on the west side and the bulk of the building seems east-west.  Thoughts?

It will cast more of a shadow in the winter. But with the Capital Plaza buildings and embassy suites already there, that area already has a shadow, Not to mention the City Centre building is not very short. 

Archived