City Centre (Formerly 215 E. Central Blvd) | 28-Story Residential [Approved]

Ocityst

6 minutes ago, orange87 said:

Yeah, but that horrid 7-Eleven on the corner would have been gone too, so I think that balances things out.

With the homeless bums and drug addicts camped out on that corner? No thanks.

If one is squeamish about seeing homeless people, one should probably avoid downtowns and inner cities in general. Those people are pretty much a fact of life everywhere. And I doubt losing that 7 Eleven would make them go away. 

It's probably academic anyway.

Ten years from now, that corner will likely be exactly the same as it is today. 

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^

Eola is doomed on the point about bums and homeless for two reasons other than the fact that it's a park:  The Public Library and 7-Eleven.

Modera won't change this at all I don't think.  But, getting rid of 7-Eleven might, except for the fact that homeless and bums used to hang out at that small plaza before 7-Eleven went in.

1 hour ago, leondecollao said:

Blaming 7-11 for the homeless situation at Lake Eola and its sorroundings is just about the most bizarre thing I've seen on here. 

That's a strawman argument. All I said/meant is that 7-Eleven is like a magnet for homeless people and drug addicts. All I'm saying is if they got rid of that 7-Eleven maybe they'd go somewhere else. What's so weird about that? It's common knowledge that convenience stores tend to attract a lot of shady people.

38 minutes ago, orange87 said:

That's a strawman argument. All I said/meant is that 7-Eleven is like a magnet for homeless people and drug addicts. All I'm saying is if they got rid of that 7-Eleven maybe they'd go somewhere else. What's so weird about that? It's common knowledge that convenience stores tend to attract a lot of shady people.

I don't doubt your claim that the 7 Eleven attracts homeless street people, but do we really know they're drug addicts? 

Are they hanging around the side of the building shooting up and smoking crack and meth?

And how big of a crowd of these people are we talking about... a couple of dozen or more crowd most of the day? Or the occasional two or three?

18 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I don't doubt your claim that the 7 Eleven attracts homeless street people, but do we really know they're drug addicts? 

Are they hanging around the side of the building shooting up and smoking crack and meth?

And how big of a crowd of these people are we talking about... a couple of dozen or more crowd most of the day? Or the occasional two or three?

I'm not sure if those are rhetorical questions or not.

I don't go to downtown Orlando very often, but there seems to usually be about half a dozen people who look homeless to me in front of that 7-Eleven during the day. That's at least what I've seen. I've always been a suburbs guy, so it's very possible that I'm just out of touch with what's normal for city life.

You're both right. It is a fact of life in the city, but that corner is especially troublesome lately. And as I mentioned above, it's just a part of the History Center-Lymmo-Library-Lake Eola continuum of homeless people hanging out on mostly public land.

As someone who has been accosted by unstable individuals at that corner more than once -- I get it -- but, I wish we could do more to actually address the issue rather than hide it by pushing them out.

Another reason why they may be hanging there is the feeding/new clothes and other services that happen at the Greek Church seemingly daily. And as someone mentioned "unstable" that is a testament to our poor mental health system. 

That being said, I do like the idea of a park entrance on the corner. If the building that houses the 7-11 went away to have a walkway between the Rosalind Club and the little Spanish house into the park, that would be nice. 

Archived