Apartment backlash

There is some serious HATE for apartments right now...  even our elected are starting to bemoan apartment buildings on our Streetcar corridor.  REALLY?!?!?!

Sadly, thats where it SHOULD be happening, and isn't.

Maybe if developers didn't build sh*te, people would relax a little.  Every building looks exactly like every other one (or slightly worse).  Who wants another South Blvd on their hands?  Gov McPope was perhaps seeing the future when he called South "the corridor of crap".  

Edited by Miesian Corners
  • Like 1

There won't be those little charming townhouses and apartments if the plots of land in downtown are over-priced.

Edit: Good lord. I know why NIMBY's are attacking the apartments at PlazaWood. The modernist ones look like garbage.

Edited by mazman34340

• 4 years later...
13 hours ago, rancenc said:

5 years later from the last post on this subject, apartment complexes continue to be built in the metro area! Listed is a recent roundup of approved projects!

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/01/03/real-estate-roundup-a-look-at-the-newest.html

Thanks for the heads up.  Just read through what was approved in December by city council and it sure is a lot of apartments.  Just amazing that in migration to Charlotte can still sustain this level of building.  

I was surprised to see two (2) apartments being built along Freedom drive just outside of the new ‘FreemoreWest’ Neighborhood this evening.   Didn’t realize apartments were being pursued by developers along that corridor now.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2015 at 7:05 PM, AirNostrumMAD said:

I wish there were more affordable apartments going up in these areas. Or at least near them.

and now I work in Affordable Housing, lol.

In any event, I have nothing to add to the newest post. It's right on

Lending is as much to blame as design. An aversion to risk has ironically led to less diversity in development.

Rather than build places, construction now serves to build more of the same development product and investment portfolio.  Even if building more of the same is itself a huge risk. That the resulting cityscape reads so uniform and sterile is rather befitting for a bank town.

17 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Here is the Tampa version of SkyHouse the McApartments of the south! But they just have one tower like Raleigh.

But seriously I did notice many apartments had the same look as ours not all beige but similar styles for sure.  

IMG_1462.JPG

Are Skyhouse Apartment Towers looked at as being not upscale?  I’ve often wondered why that developer hasn’t built more of those Uptown and in Close In Neighborhoods.

I think they just used the same 23 story building plan to build similar apartment towers in Nashville, Houston 2x, Charlotte 2x, Atlanta, Orlando, Tampa, Raleigh etc.  I think they are perceived differently in each city.  

here is the Orlando version today.  I have now seen Skyhouses in all the above cities LOL. McApartments across the southeast. 

IMG_1980.JPG

IMG_1988.JPG

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, j-man said:

Skyhouse in general all remind me of the suburbs....the same concept, plan an Design, just thrown up anywhere for a quick buck. 

how can  you say that?  as there are identical almost to the T buildings in Houston (2), Atlanta multiple, Raleigh, Nashville, Tampa, Orlando, Charlotte (2) and I might be missing some. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

• 4 months later...

Maybe not the right category but higher rents at apartments are driving millenials and others to single family home rentals.  (I can confirm this personally from my last 3 leases all from apartment complexes to SF homes)

https://www.nreionline.com/single-family-rentals/covid-19-accelerates-trend-millennials-moving-apartments-sfrs

• Like 1