Northern EBR Parish Development

dan326

Years ago I started a similar thread (

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/40030-suburban-east-baton-rouge-parish-development/) which has been archived, but I figured I'd try and restart it since it seems that Central is starting to get some stuff and as a counterpart to the Livingston and Ascension threads.

They're building a Neighborhoood Walmart in Central at Hooper and Joor Roads.

dev.png

Edited by dan326

Hopefully this thread can stand the test of time...not always easy.

Howell Place thread was made long ago...not sure if it's archived too?

A Southern University thread on the back pages too...

BR Metro Airport thread had some new developments & other news...even prompting a new term for BR..a mini "Aerotropolis"(part of Howell Place)...but then some gets posted on BR Profile

The New Urbanism thread had Americana "Zachary" & Magnolia Square/Shoe Creek & massive unnamed TND in Central

Greg225 posted something on a new Grocery store for Scotlandville a few weeks back

In BREC thread...improvements to Greenwood Park...maybe a mention or two of the zoo?

NBR had been mostly quiet ...a few small in-fill enclaves & closing of EKL Hospital

Guess the trick is sometimes knowing which "Topic" to post in...

Southern to lay out plans for new JaguarPARK sports complex on Monday                                                                                                          Ready to roar: The Southern University System Foundation and its athletic department will announce plans Monday on a new sports complex called JaguarPARK. According to a press release, the park project includes the transformation of the east side of A.W. Mumford Stadium into a urban sports complex. “JaguarPARK will boast a lighted NCAA regulation soccer game field and football practice field, a soccer field house and coaching observation tower, along with javelin and discus runways,” reads a release from Southern, whose officials will outline the park plans at 8:45 a.m. at the campus football practice fields on Harding Boulevard. “JaguarPARK will be enclosed by mesh and aluminum fencing with 40 connecting brick columns, providing both permanent and annual sponsorship opportunities.”              https://www.businessreport.com/article/news-roundup-baton-rouge-man-accused-selling-knock-off-apparel-southern-lay-plans-new-jaguarpark-sports-complex-monday-louisiana-rig-count-falls-3-week                                                             

Not sure if this is meant to be a downtown for Central like Richy had mentioned or just a private development but I think this coupled with Shoecreek which will be adjacent to the south will make a nice little downtown area. I'll post some of the pics I snapped later.

"Central Square, located approximately three miles west of the Magnolia Bridge, is a mixed used development intended for a "live, work, play" lifestyle. Hosting both commercial and residential, Central Square has and is becoming the true heart of the city, a textbook “town square.” At Central Square, a large emphasis has been placed on the aesthetic aspects of the entire community. The architecture of the townhomes and surrounding areas compliment each other in the highest fashion. The Park at Central Square will house an open, inviting pavilion with plenty of surrounding green space - an ideal gathering place, one of the sole purposes of a town square. The vibrant businesses, dining areas and green spaces effortlessly mix with the community. With easy access to sidewalks, ample parallel parking and bike lanes throughout, a mix of retail, dining and entertainment are located at your fingertips. This convenience is a renaissance to the original landscape architecture strategy of a town square in Modern America. Central Square’s monumental anchor is the park and its structures. Front and center, you are welcomed by the pavilion. The pavilion is home to host any and many events that will hopefully make history. Off-set from the pavilion, you will find the park’s working sundial that has been perfectly aligned with the axis of the earth’s rotation, pointing to true celestial north. The sundial, in every metaphorical way, is a dedication to a man that had his heart and soul into this town square, the architecture that surrounds it, and the entire community’s well being."

http://thecentralsquarecommunity.com/

siteplan.png

Thanks for the site plan & visuals...I accidentally ran across this when coming from Wax Road last year...thought it was pretty cool...taking the rural community of Central to another level. Figure they would add on eventually as it abruptly ended at the traffic-circle.

I'm guessing Central Square & the "unnamed TND/PUD(May 6th New Urbanism) will tie in together with Shoe Creek? Guessing there will be a fine balance in becoming a city with denser development yet maintaining a rural feel? They are going to need some more connectivity with all of this! At the slow rate Magnolia Square is being filled...all of this going to take a really long time!

Good to see Jag Park happening....it's pretty cool to see people watching baseball games from the RR Overpass too...Does this mean we scrap the "Southern University" thread back on Page #4??

Yeah, if you look the street leading south from the traffic circle connects to the commercial portion of Shoe Creek. Maybe City Hall will be located there.

That's a good question? Being diplomatic, if LSU has a thread, Southern deserves a thread. But this thread may a have better chance of not getting buried in the forum...

• 5 weeks later...

Big Red Storage owners buy property off Old Scenic Highway to build another self-storage center

Steve Sanoski

June 9, 2015

The owners of Big Red Storage in Zachary have purchased property on Old Scenic Highway, about a half-mile north of its intersection with Mount Pleasant Road, for $600,000 and are planning to build another self-storage business on the plot.

“We’ve already received all the necessary approvals for it, so we’ve got an architect working on the plans right now,” says Vidal Davis, who is co-owner of G&D Self Storage LLC, along with Gary Guido. “We hope to start construction within 90 days, at the very most, and hopefully we’ll have it completed by early spring of next year.”

Though Davis and Guido plan for the new self-storage center to include about 112,000 square feet of space when fully built, the initial build-out will include about 80,000 square feet, Davis says.

From businessreport.com

• 2 months later...

Cristo Rey to lease former Redemptorist High site in Baton Rouge, with classes to begin next year           

Cristo Rey, a new Catholic high school that will partner with local businesses and serve students from low-income families, will open in the fall of 2016 at the former site of Redemptorist High School.

The school announced this morning that it has secured a lease for the former Redemptorist campus at 4000 St. Gerard Ave. after conducting an extensive search for a location in downtown or central Baton Rouge.

After Redemptorist closed in May, the site became available for lease in early June at a rental rate of about $3 per square foot, or $23,853 per month. According to the listing of the property, the campus comprises about 13.6 acres of land in total—including 95,412 square feet of school facilities—with an administration building, classrooms, computer room, biology and chemistry lab, library, gym and football field equipped with stadium seating, press box, concession stand and outdoor lighting. It’s also fully furnished.

“The cost to Cristo Rey Baton Rouge would be significantly lower and the site offered a facility built as a high school, reducing the need for extensive renovations. Additionally, the site provides a closer physical connection to the potential student population we are designed to serve,” says Cristo Rey Baton Rouge President James Llorens, former Southern University chancellor, in a July 20 letter to Joseph Ingraham, CFO of the Diocese of Baton Rouge, which is leasing the property.

The Baton Rouge school will bring to 32 the number of Cristo Rey schools across the country. Under the Cristo Rey model, students offset the price of tuition by working five days per month at a local business. In Baton Rouge, 40 businesses have committed to hiring teams of four students each for the 2016-17 school year. The school anticipates enrolling 125 students in its first class of 9th grade students next year.

Along with Llorens, other administrators at the Baton Rouge school will include Vic Howell, who will lead the founding board; and Aimee Wells, who will serve as principal.    https://www.businessreport.com/article/cristo-rey-lease-former-redemptorist-high-site-baton-rouge-classes-begin-next-year

Almost wonder if Central needed a thread of it's own??  Hold your horses on this massive Shoe Creek TND...seems like this project could be tied up in knots with plenty of controversy!

& ...can Antrell or somebody please fix the misspell on the title "Nothern" Parish?

Group of Central residents files lawsuit against city about planned housing development

Three Central residents are suing their mayor and a handful of City Council members over a planned traditional neighborhood development that would bring 700 housing units to the small city.

The lawsuit, filed late Monday in 19th Judicial District Court, alleges that Central’s leadership violated its own ordinances to move forward with The Settlement on Shoe Creek development. The Settlement would feature a combination of apartments, cottages, town homes, retail shops and office space, and would be situated off Sullivan Road in one of Central’s most well-traveled areas.

*rest of article...cool lil' rendering shown

Almost wonder if Central needed a thread of it's own??  Hold your horses on this massive Shoe Creek TND...seems like this project could be tied up in knots with plenty of controversy!

& ...can Antrell or somebody please fix the misspell on the title "Nothern" Parish?

Group of Central residents files lawsuit against city about planned housing development

Three Central residents are suing their mayor and a handful of City Council members over a planned traditional neighborhood development that would bring 700 housing units to the small city.

The lawsuit, filed late Monday in 19th Judicial District Court, alleges that Central’s leadership violated its own ordinances to move forward with The Settlement on Shoe Creek development. The Settlement would feature a combination of apartments, cottages, town homes, retail shops and office space, and would be situated off Sullivan Road in one of Central’s most well-traveled areas.

*rest of article...cool lil' rendering shown

Some people always against progress I think Central win this case because of  FuturEBR. Plus these type off neighborhoods are being built all over the country.

They should build a roundabout at that intersection for Hooper and Joor.

Not a bad idea.  

They need a connection from Hooper into Livingston Parish.   

Some people always against progress I think Central win this case because of  FuturEBR. Plus these type off neighborhoods are being built all over the country.

The lawsuit has merit.   A lot of private money has gone into developing Central within the boundaries of their regulatory limits....it's both unfair to the city and to developers that on particular neighborhood gets a special privilege.   They created a decent plan and should stick to it.  Otherwise, they are making the same mistake Baton Rouge made.   

I can't really say if I sympathize with the developer more without knowing the details of the proposed subdivision and development plan and how it impacts adjacent properties.   I tend to side with the NIMBY's, but only if they've been playing by the rules that they subject everyone else to....much because if the governing body does not enforce the laws, future developers will have precedent to demand equal bending of the rules.   You can make a good quality development without apartments, and I think Shoe Creek will be a very nice development if they scaled back the number of apartments.      

Regardless of what happens, I think it's critical for the city of Baton Rouge that Central and Zachary develop into high quality suburbs that are actually able to attract people who are looking for that sort of thing.   They need more retail, more jobs, and better infrastructure to win over home buyers that would otherwise consider Livingston or Ascension.  It's more beneficial to downtown Baton Rouge and to mid city as well as the Airline Highway corridor to have more people within their market reach zones, namely Central and Zachary.

I think Central Square has potential, but Wax Road needs to be extended either north or west to capture thru-traffic from either Hooper Rd or Joor and they need to connect into the adjacent neighborhoods.  It's rare that commercial districts work on dead end streets.  

Edited by cajun

Not a bad idea.  

They need a connection from Hooper into Livingston Parish.   

The lawsuit has merit.   A lot of private money has gone into developing Central within the boundaries of their regulatory limits....it's both unfair to the city and to developers that on particular neighborhood gets a special privilege.   They created a decent plan and should stick to it.  Otherwise, they are making the same mistake Baton Rouge made.   

I can't really say if I sympathize with the developer more without knowing the details of the proposed subdivision and development plan and how it impacts adjacent properties.   I tend to side with the NIMBY's, but only if they've been playing by the rules that they subject everyone else to....much because if the governing body does not enforce the laws, future developers will have precedent to demand equal bending of the rules.   You can make a good quality development without apartments, and I think Shoe Creek will be a very nice development if they scaled back the number of apartments.      

Regardless of what happens, I think it's critical for the city of Baton Rouge that Central and Zachary develop into high quality suburbs that are actually able to attract people who are looking for that sort of thing.   They need more retail, more jobs, and better infrastructure to win over home buyers that would otherwise consider Livingston or Ascension.  It's more beneficial to downtown Baton Rouge and to mid city as well as the Airline Highway corridor to have more people within their market reach zones, namely Central and Zachary.

I think Central Square has potential, but Wax Road needs to be extended either north or west to capture thru-traffic from either Hooper Rd or Joor and they need to connect into the adjacent neighborhoods.  It's rare that commercial districts work on dead end streets.  

These type neighborhoods being built all over EBR and Baton Rouge Metro Area.  FuturEBR is a plan for new urbanism in EBR that's the main reason I say Central win this case. 

That is a good point. If they give it to one, they have to give it to everyone like the TIF's.

I understand the concern about traffic and that they want to preserve a rural environment, but shouldn't a "city" of 30,000 people allow a 250 unit apartment complex? And I doubt these apartments will turn ghetto in a new, mid-upscale development in a homogenous community.

It looks like they're going to extend it from the master plan. Maybe it's supposed to connect to Shoe Creek on south and west.

Here is the site plan from the developor's website. The image on the Advocate site never came up for me.

getImage.gif?ID=100000129

http://www.southernlifestyledevelopment.com/Default.aspx?p=dynamicmodule&pageid=401207&ssid=327782&vnf=1

Edited by dan326

That is a good point. If they give it to one, they have to give it to everyone like the TIF's.

I understand the concern about traffic and that they want to preserve a rural environment, but shouldn't a "city" of 30,000 people allow a 250 unit apartment complex? And I doubt these apartments will turn ghetto in a new, mid-upscale development in a homogenous community.

It looks like they're going to extend it from the master plan. Maybe it's supposed to connect to Shoe Creek on south and west.

Here is the site plan from the developor's website. The image on the Advocate site never came up for me.

getImage.gif?ID=100000129

http://www.southernlifestyledevelopment.com/Default.aspx?p=dynamicmodule&pageid=401207&ssid=327782&vnf=1

it will be a upscale development with houses that are $400,000 +

Edited by greg225

The city of Central formed in 05'...is Louisiana's 12th Largest incorporated area...but really it's 13th...but Metairie (4th) is not incorporated for some reason?

I think of NBR more like north of Choctaw ...including neighborhoods like Dixie; Ghost Town; Brookstown/Howell Park; Prescott/Evangeline; Glen Oaks; Zion City; Scotlandville