Northern EBR Parish Development

dan326

• 4 months later...

• 8 months later...
On 1/5/2021 at 10:48 AM, dan326 said:

Aldi buys land in Shoe Creek development in Central as its push to expand continues

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_03ccb086-4ed1-11eb-81c6-2324f96308fe.html

Good store if you want to save some cash.    They are usually clean and well kept. 

I'd have preferred an Alexanders, Oak Point, Calandros, Rouses, Albertsons, or some other main line store....but ALDI works well too.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

A major subdivision is being proposed near the intersection of Old Scenic Highway and Groom Road in Baker.

Adam Kurz of D.R. Horton Inc.-Gulf Coast has filed a request with the East Baton Rouge Parish Planning Commission seeking a comprehensive plan amendment for the 350-acre property as well as plans for a proposed single-family residential subdivision, Trivento, that his Denham Springs-based company wants to develop there.

Specifically, Kurz wants to change the area’s land use from “industrial” to “residential neighborhood” to allow for the development of Trivento. The subdivision would be accessed via public streets, with each lot averaging 6,250 square feet, according to Kurz’s application. 

https://www.businessreport.com/insider/d-r-horton-files-plans-for-350-acre-subdivision-in-baker

• 2 months later...

Zachary cuts speed limit in effort to revitalize downtown

https://www.wbrz.com/news/zachary-cuts-speed-limit-in-effort-to-revitalize-downtown

ZACHARY – A stretch of Main Street has been reduced to 25 miles per hour as part of the city's downtown revitalization project.

Mayor David Amrhein said the project goal is to bring more restaurants and retail shops to the area, as well as make downtown more walker friendly.

“It’s half of a mile. It’s not like we’re asking you to go 25 mph for three miles, and the police are not going to write tickets in the very beginning. We’re going to put signs up that will have a mobile unit,” Amrhein explained.

The slowdown isn’t getting the green light from all drivers, however.

“It’s sure going to make congestion even worse through that area in my opinion,” said Raymond Taylor, who was passing through Wednesday.

Councilman Lael L. Montgomery says he’s already received phone calls about the speed limit and expects to get a lot more.

“They’re trying to mimic what Government Street is doing in Baton Rouge, but Government isn't the only street that is a corridor. This is the main corridor in Zachary,” Montgomery said.

Montgomery voted for the revitalization project but says he doesn’t agree with the speed reduction.

One person looking forward to the redevelopment is Todd Stevens. Stevens is turning the historic Train Depot into his restaurant Maverick’s Q and Brew. He says more foot traffic in the area will help with his opening in about four to six weeks.

"We're looking forward to the expanded growth and actually a lot of benefits within employment and increasing tax revenue here locally instead of folks having to go to Baton Rouge," Stevens said.

The speed limit changed Tuesday, but the Mayor says speeding tickets won’t be handed out until drivers get used to the adjustment.

“We can write tickets in a lot of other areas in Zachary other than a half of a mile stretch. I can tell you that. That's one of the main concerns we get at the council is slowing traffic down,” Amrhein said.

The first phase of the revitalization project will be a new three-story building on Main Street. The city will lease the top two floors, and the first floor will be available for retail.

On 7/7/2021 at 10:27 PM, richyb83 said:

Zachary cuts speed limit in effort to revitalize downtown

https://www.wbrz.com/news/zachary-cuts-speed-limit-in-effort-to-revitalize-downtown

ZACHARY – A stretch of Main Street has been reduced to 25 miles per hour as part of the city's downtown revitalization project.

Mayor David Amrhein said the project goal is to bring more restaurants and retail shops to the area, as well as make downtown more walker friendly.

“It’s half of a mile. It’s not like we’re asking you to go 25 mph for three miles, and the police are not going to write tickets in the very beginning. We’re going to put signs up that will have a mobile unit,” Amrhein explained.

The slowdown isn’t getting the green light from all drivers, however.

“It’s sure going to make congestion even worse through that area in my opinion,” said Raymond Taylor, who was passing through Wednesday.

Councilman Lael L. Montgomery says he’s already received phone calls about the speed limit and expects to get a lot more.

“They’re trying to mimic what Government Street is doing in Baton Rouge, but Government isn't the only street that is a corridor. This is the main corridor in Zachary,” Montgomery said.

Montgomery voted for the revitalization project but says he doesn’t agree with the speed reduction.

One person looking forward to the redevelopment is Todd Stevens. Stevens is turning the historic Train Depot into his restaurant Maverick’s Q and Brew. He says more foot traffic in the area will help with his opening in about four to six weeks.

"We're looking forward to the expanded growth and actually a lot of benefits within employment and increasing tax revenue here locally instead of folks having to go to Baton Rouge," Stevens said.

The speed limit changed Tuesday, but the Mayor says speeding tickets won’t be handed out until drivers get used to the adjustment.

“We can write tickets in a lot of other areas in Zachary other than a half of a mile stretch. I can tell you that. That's one of the main concerns we get at the council is slowing traffic down,” Amrhein said.

The first phase of the revitalization project will be a new three-story building on Main Street. The city will lease the top two floors, and the first floor will be available for retail.

They will need street parking if they want to get away from the suburban style development.    Retail can't survive on walking traffic alone anymore in smaller towns, and they will need surface lots if there aren't any spaces for street parking.    They need a road diet, but they need to forget about bike lanes and start eliminating curb cuts.   Two lanes of traffic, two parking strips, and wider sidewalks w' landscaping - and don't charge people for parking.     That line of parked cars serves as a barrier between traffic and pedestrians.   It's critical for getting people out walking again.   And it's much easier to cross two lanes of traffic on foot than 3 or 4.

Unfortunately all of the federal grants for this out there is going to dictate that they include bike lanes that no one will use at the expense of street parking, which will require that businesses maintain surface parking lots.     They screwed that up with the Government Street road diet in a huge way, and I'm worried that it will not produce the desired results.

Smaller towns that never had to widen their main streets end up looking much better today.   New Roads, Plaquemine,  and St. Francisville look much better than Zachary today because of it.   New Roads in particular has worked extremely hard to preserve their downtown - they are actually spending  a lot of money on lighting and hardscape upgrades this year.    Even Denham Springs has done a better job than Zachary at preserving their little downtown by routing northbound traffic to another road and maintaining street parking, although it's definitely time for them to bury those power lines.    

I'm hoping the best for Zachary, but I'm skeptical that they can get it done.    They might have some luck if they route the westbound traffic onto Church street.  That way they can keep the 4 lanes of total travel on 64, but still have room for street parking and bike lanes on Main.

Edited by cajun

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/19/2021 at 4:34 PM, cajun said:

A new D.R. Horton community at the corner of Groom Road and Old Scenic in Baker.    This is part of a 1,000 home community that they are planning to build (and build poorly, given their track record).    

image.thumb.png.89efdcddfad824bbb99e07ea7956323a.png

East Baton Rouge Parish rejected this development, which I think is the correct move.   

So this is probably a win for Zachary's school system.  But it's clear they need to start making room for more students.   Just because this was one rejected doesn't mean dozens of other, smaller developments won't.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

How much is too much? This would be huge for Zachary! Schools would be over crowded trying to get away from EBR

Size of this development is almost like something you'd see in Houston or Dallas market ....

Proposal for 986-home subdivision outside Zachary denied during EBR planning and zoning meeting

https://www.wafb.com/2021/07/09/proposal-986-home-subdivision-outside-zachary-raise-concerns-overcrowding-schools/

On 1/18/2022 at 11:34 PM, richyb83 said:

How much is too much? This would be huge for Zachary! Schools would be over crowded trying to get away from EBR

Size of this development is almost like something you'd see in Houston or Dallas market ....

Proposal for 986-home subdivision outside Zachary denied during EBR planning and zoning meeting

https://www.wafb.com/2021/07/09/proposal-986-home-subdivision-outside-zachary-raise-concerns-overcrowding-schools/

While I usually support development, I'm glad this was denied.   DR Horton spends a lot on their signs, but they don't put a lot of quality into their homes.   I'm also not very pleased with their recent partnership with Blackrock. 

Zachary didn't just say no to a giant neighborhood that would result in crowding their schools.   They said no to an entity known for pushing low quality homes to buyers with questionable credit.....and even worse - lately Horton as been selling entire developments to investment companies.

im-320174?width=1260&height=840

If You Sell a House These Days, the Buyer Might Be a Pension Fund

https://www.wsj.com/articles/if-you-sell-a-house-these-days-the-buyer-might-be-a-pension-fund-11617544801

A bidding war broke out this winter at a new subdivision north of Houston. But the prize this time was the entire subdivision, not just a single suburban house, illustrating the rise of big investors as a potent new force in the U.S. housing market.

D.R. Horton Inc. DHI -0.55% built 124 houses in Conroe, Texas, rented them out and then put the whole community, Amber Pines at Fosters Ridge, on the block. A Who’s Who of investors and home-rental firms flocked to the December sale. The winning $32 million bid came from an online property-investing platform, Fundrise LLC, which manages more than $1 billion on behalf of about 150,000 individuals.

The country’s most prolific home builder booked roughly twice what it typically makes selling houses to the middle class—an encouraging debut in the business of selling entire neighborhoods to investors.

“We certainly wouldn’t expect every single-family community we sell to sell at a 50% gross margin,” the builder’s finance chief, Bill Wheat, said at a recent investor conference.

From individuals with smartphones and a few thousand dollars to pensions and private-equity firms with billions, yield-chasing investors are snapping up single-family houses to rent out or flip. They are competing for houses with ordinary Americans, who are armed with the cheapest mortgage financing ever, and driving up home prices.

“You now have permanent capital competing with a young couple trying to buy a house,” said John Burns, whose eponymous real estate consulting firm estimates that in many of the nation’s top markets, roughly one in every five houses sold is bought by someone who never moves in. “That’s going to make U.S. housing permanently more expensive,” he said.

For most of us middle class people that didn't inherit vast amounts of wealth - the primary way of building wealth is through the value of our primary residence and through our retirement savings.    It does seem like some elements of the ruling class want to take both of those away from us.    Not to mention that their tendency to overpay for housing to snap up hundreds of them in a single location tends to create a bubble and reduce stability for real buyers that want to live in those homes.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 2

On 12/10/2021 at 9:06 PM, richyb83 said:

Construction starts on $23 million Scotlandville development, see rendering here

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_dabb3e70-5946-11ec-a438-9308c78fb3d0.html

Capstone at Scotlandville

Glad to see this.   It's not the prettiest development around, but there is a need for affordable housing in that area.    I'm hoping to see more declining properties get replaced with something like this.

I hope the developer and property manager keep it well maintained and don't cut corners on security.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cajun said:

While I usually support development, I'm glad this was denied.   DR Horton spends a lot on their signs, but they don't put a lot of quality into their homes.   I'm also not very pleased with their recent partnership with Blackrock. 

Zachary didn't just say no to a giant neighborhood that would result in crowding their schools.   They said no to an entity known for pushing low quality homes to buyers with questionable credit.....and even worse - lately Horton as been selling entire developments to investment companies.

For most of us middle class people that didn't inherit vast amounts of wealth - the primary way of building wealth is through the value of our primary residence and through our retirement savings.    It does seem like some elements of the ruling class want to take both of those away from us.    Not to mention that their tendency to overpay for housing to snap up hundreds of them in a single location tends to create a bubble and reduce stability for real buyers that want to live in those homes.

Well, we can reference the mid -2000s but I read spec/investment building was a problem in China now 

12 hours ago, cajun said:

I'm also not very pleased with their recent partnership with Blackrock. 

For most of us middle class people that didn't inherit vast amounts of wealth - the primary way of building wealth is through the value of our primary residence and through our retirement savings.    It does seem like some elements of the ruling class want to take both of those away from us.  

We could easily talk an hour on this subject in person. Interesting times ...Agenda 21 & 2030 have been looming....we are coming  at a crossroads now. 

12 hours ago, cajun said:

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 10:24 PM, richyb83 said:

We could easily talk an hour on this subject in person. Interesting times ...Agenda 21 & 2030 have been looming....we are coming  at a crossroads now. 

Yep.   

I think we are lucky that the Baton Rouge and New Orleans metro has mostly flown under the radar for this kind of manipulation.    We screw a lot of things up, but not having this kind of institutional force in the market probably keeps the housing market healthy and more legitimate....even though I do think we need more housing production to keep prices in check.   

Houston, Las Vegas, Miami,  Atlanta, Toronto, Chicago are all a very different story.  

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
18 hours ago, dan326 said:

Hmm, so will these be houses, townhomes or apartments?

My guess....the housing will come phases that vary by density, starting immediately with apartments since interest rates are climbing, we are in a recession, and home buyers are sort of gun shy right now.   They might start building out the streets and infrastructure soon though.   It looks like apartments and a senior living center has been proposed and submitted to the city/parish:

image.thumb.png.1203fccf507bfc615a2d0595b1d66a88.png

image.thumb.png.c2dcd0b3765df9034c8ee1c797228462.png

I's definitely a big enough property to fit some single family homes in addition to all of the above proposals though, but that might be waiting on the economy to change before they move forward.    

As far as retail - it is a good spot for a grocery, but I'm concerned that a full line store in this location would threaten the viability of the Hi Nabor on Windborne.   That's one of the oldest continuously operated independent stores in Baton Rouge.   It's well run, serves the area very well, sources it's products from Baton Rouge's own Associated Grocers, and the store itself is owned by its employees after the Crifasi family started the business.     

If a grocery store happens to go up on Joor, I would understand it (competition on a level field forces all of us to get better).   But I'd hate to see tax breaks or incentives for a direct competitor to a local business that's been doing all the right things for almost 70 years less than 2 miles away.

Edited by cajun