Northern EBR Parish Development

dan326

Walk-On’s planning Central location 

David Barrow, Central’s mayor, announced Tuesday, that the Walk-On’s is coming to Sullivan Road near Grand Settlement Boulevard. 

The proposed 6,500-square-foot restaurant will seat close to 40 tables, along with a bar area, says Barrow..

https://www.businessreport.com/business/walk-ons-planning-new-central-location

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

This qualifies as a "Northern" EBR development off Joor Road not far from the Comite River.  These guys finally found the ideal location ;  cool they are using the old Judson baptist baseball fields. 

Guerilla Warfare Paintball holds opening day in Baton Rouge

https://www.wbrz.com/news/guerilla-warfare-paintball-holds-opening-day-in-baton-rouge

Guerilla Warfare Paintball opened its new location off Joor Road on Saturday morning. 

The paintball company previously operated in Walker, but shut down in 2021 when complaints from neighbors led to a feud with Livingston Parish government. 

Owner Justin King told WBRZ finding a new location for his business was a long process. King said he bought an old baseball park in May. 

"It was kinda just laid out right. No neighbors and the neighbors we do have hunt and they love us. I felt like it was closer to where the people who were coming out of and it was going to be a better place," King said. 

3zMEM2oyD-vmfkT6Fi7QCgpXPRUF-InSSjd1nszv

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Northridge, a 215-lot planned development, has been proposed for 64 acres near the intersection of Groom Road and La. 964. 

The 215 low-density residential lots would be paired with almost 16 acres of open space. Templeton Ridge Development, the project applicant, could not immediately be reached for this morning’s report.  

The project is on the East Baton Rouge Parish Planning and Zoning Commission’s March 20 agenda and would not need Metro Council approval to move forward. 

The development is consistent with the latest approved concept plan for the land, according to Planning Commission staff.

https://www.businessreport.com/insider/neighborhood-with-215-lots-proposed-near-baker

I believe this is a phase 1 or phase 4 of the below development, which was conceptually approved 4 years ago when proposed by the developer that was also behind Shoe Creek, Willow Grove in Baton Rouge and the Camelia Avenue developments in Lafayette.   I don't think they are building this out in the numerical order of the phases on the map:  

image.thumb.png.3e70b62b903966546089c81d164ca287.png

image.thumb.png.dfe6d3332a3b68a25454ae9b7eb97533.png

image.thumb.png.cb32bbd9b5368600507d58b74a358a6a.png

I guess the remaining phases will come online later.   I suspect that they are trying to iron out approvals and infrastructure builds while interest rates are high so they can have this place ready to sell when rates go down.    I imagine we are at least 2 years away from seeing completed houses occupied by new owners.

Either way, once this is built out and the nearby 900 home community proposed by Horton is completed....there will be several thousand new residents within a half mile of the LA 964 interchange at highway 61.   It will be time for more neighborhood retail amenities, like a grocery store, fuel station, restaurants, urgent care, recreation athletic fields, park, etc.   Baker and Zachary will likely need to add on to their public schools to accommodate more students.   

I didn't think this area would ever get developed like this because it's covered in pipelines (that can't be relocated), it's right underneath an approach for BTR's most active runway, and fairly close to a prison.    Despite that, the landscape is very pretty and even features very gently rolling hills.   It's not too far from the retail amenities in Baker, Zachary, and Baton Rouge and it's an easy commute to the big industrial employers in north Baton Rouge.  And once the Comite Diversion canal is done, it should be as close to flood-proof as you can get in suburban Louisiana.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

More detail on Northridge off Old Scenic in Zachary.   This is going to be a massive development when it's all done, which might take 5-6 years.   And then there's one even bigger going up across the street.   By 2030, there might be more people living in new houses in the Old Scenic/Groom intersection than there are in the entire town of St. Francisville.

image.thumb.png.e32be53b298d85dc2fc33725ad90681e.png

Edited by cajun

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/5/2023 at 5:27 PM, dan326 said:

Well that's good to hear people are getting more options for new housing.

Oddly enough when interest rates are climbing.....not sure this is going to be a highly successful development.   It might be one of these that go full rental. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cajun said:

Oddly enough when interest rates are climbing.....not sure this is going to be a highly successful development.   It might be one of these that go full rental. 

Yuck. I have one by me and as I say I understand the NIMBYs now....

18 hours ago, dan326 said:

Yuck. I have one by me and as I say I understand the NIMBYs now....

Oh man.  Y'all have had issues with maintenance?  

Technically rates right now are sort of "normal" for the past 50 years, but people have gotten accustomed to 30 year fixed at less than 5%.   Seems like housing prices will have to drop for people to continue buying homes at the prices they've been paying.    Backstopping that are people who actually do have 3 or 4% mortgages and are not about to sell their house to have to take up a new loan at closer to 6%.    So inventory is still fairly low even in Baton Rouge.  

If I were a homebuilder, I'd be focusing on the higher end market and rennovations if I could.   More likely to be cash transactions.   Margins are higher even if volume is lower.

Edited by cajun

On 6/8/2023 at 8:13 AM, cajun said:

Oh man.  Y'all have had issues with maintenance?  

Technically rates right now are sort of "normal" for the past 50 years, but people have gotten accustomed to 30 year fixed at less than 5%.   Seems like housing prices will have to drop for people to continue buying homes at the prices they've been paying.    Backstopping that are people who actually do have 3 or 4% mortgages and are not about to sell their house to have to take up a new loan at closer to 6%.    So inventory is still fairly low even in Baton Rouge.  

If I were a homebuilder, I'd be focusing on the higher end market and rennovations if I could.   More likely to be cash transactions.   Margins are higher even if volume is lower.

Yup, a few. Not terrible but still not great when you're used to the former resident that kept things up.

• 2 months later...

I think Zachary could probably support a Target and a Chick Fil A if they were in the right location.    

I know Target is in financial trouble and isn't expanding right now, but if they were.....LA964/Church Street is probably the best area.   The problem is that the best real estate on that corner right now will always be a cemetery.    And I don't see anything that size being built along US 61.   

It's too bad that the Rouses in Zachary is really just phoning it in even if the hardware store embedded into the Rouses is awesome.   Rouses seem to be aware that new competitors aren't likely given the real estate limitations in Zachary, and they are not really trying as a consequence.    The Audubon Market (AG) in St. Francisville is a fantastic store by comparison.    So is the Oak Point market in Central.    The Rouses and Winn Dixie in Zachary are both disappointing.  

I bet Juban Road out in Livingston gets a Target eventually.   Zachary and Central are not really user-friendly for giant supercenters like that unless they build a highway through there.   They are probably better locations for regional chains like Matherne's, Oak Point, Alexanders, etc.

On 5/11/2023 at 4:45 PM, richyb83 said:

The sign is up on this one.    It looks nice, and that's near where the new Walk On's is going in right in that area.    

Also looks like the Winn Dixie in Zachary will be converting into an ALDI eventually.    Normally I'd say that's a step down, but Winn Dixie isn't really trying very hard anymore.    

The Baton Rouge metro needs a new Trader Joe's.   The one that we do have is catastrophically busy  unless you go at 8PM on a week night.    That place is clearly a huge hit, and the area would easily support another one.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 9:37 AM, cajun said:

I think Zachary could probably support a Target and a Chick Fil A if they were in the right location.    

I know Target is in financial trouble and isn't expanding right now, but if they were.....LA964/Church Street is probably the best area.   The problem is that the best real estate on that corner right now will always be a cemetery.    And I don't see anything that size being built along US 61.   

It's too bad that the Rouses in Zachary is really just phoning it in even if the hardware store embedded into the Rouses is awesome.   Rouses seem to be aware that new competitors aren't likely given the real estate limitations in Zachary, and they are not really trying as a consequence.    The Audubon Market (AG) in St. Francisville is a fantastic store by comparison.    So is the Oak Point market in Central.    The Rouses and Winn Dixie in Zachary are both disappointing.  

I bet Juban Road out in Livingston gets a Target eventually.   Zachary and Central are not really user-friendly for giant supercenters like that unless they build a highway through there.   They are probably better locations for regional chains like Matherne's, Oak Point, Alexanders, etc.

The sign is up on this one.    It looks nice, and that's near where the new Walk On's is going in right in that area.    

Also looks like the Winn Dixie in Zachary will be converting into an ALDI eventually.    Normally I'd say that's a step down, but Winn Dixie isn't really trying very hard anymore.    

The Baton Rouge metro needs a new Trader Joe's.   The one that we do have is catastrophically busy  unless you go at 8PM on a week night.    That place is clearly a huge hit, and the area would easily support another one.

Catastrophically busy is a very good word for it,  I wonder where another good location could be?

Before the recession they planned to build a Target in Gonzales, Arlington near LSU and Juban  in Denham Springs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2023 at 7:54 AM, dan326 said:

Catastrophically busy is a very good word for it,  I wonder where another good location could be?

Before the recession they planned to build a Target in Gonzales, Arlington near LSU and Juban  in Denham Springs.

IDK.  I think somewhere along I-10 would work.  Maybe around Highland or Pecue?      Or possibly Millerville at I-12?   Or the Jefferson/Pecue/Airline area?   

It needs to be convenient to I-10 or I-12.   As it is now, I think they are turning off potential customers because the location at Perkins/Acadian is extremely overwhelmed.  Parking is difficult, lines are long, the store itself is congested.    We've gone there multiple times and looked around and said "nope...not dealing with this today" and left.   

On 9/27/2023 at 4:26 PM, richyb83 said:

Looks great, and I suspect their only regret will be that they didn't go larger.  I'm somewhat close to this problem local hospitals are facing.

The problem with hospitals in the Baton Rouge area is twofold - not enough physical beds, and not enough staff to put patients in them.   So when OLOL says they are over run with Covid patients.....know that it doesn't take much to overwhelm the system in the area because of these structural shortcomings.  

Hopefully they can staff people at Lane.  Nurses in particular are in extremely short supply.    If Lane improves, it has the potential to be another regional hospital that can take some of the patient load from BRG and OLOL.      Another location with potential is the OLOL hospital in Gonzales and the new location in Livingston - but Lane and Gonzales are probably better places to invest given the population growth and the lack of competition from Oschner.  

OLOL's plot of land in Livingston is absolutely massive.  They could easily build another 3-4 towers there and vastly expand their ER if they needed to.   And one day they probably will need to given Livingston's growth.    I know North Oaks is in the area, but they don't have an ER like OLOL, Oschner, Lane, BRG, etc. 

Another outside chance for expansion are some of the smaller outlying hospitals:

An example is Pointe Coupee General in New Roads, which was filled to the brim during Covid because all the referral hospitals were also full.   Their catchment area is all of Pointe Coupee (20,000 people) and part of Avoyelles and Iberville (30,000 people) along with parts of WBR (yeah people are that afraid to cross the bridge).   They have plans to add a tower there and expand the ER, but that's probably 20 years away from being financially logical unless we get another insane pandemic - PCG does not have a lot of space to do it - so they will eventually be knocking out some of the older physician offices and consolidating into a new tower (and they will still have a parking issue without a deck).    

The new Oschner facility in Plaquemine is also on a large piece of land.    That one has massive growth potential, but it's also tiny - not much larger than the OLOL facility in north Baton Rouge.    Huge question mark on this one is what the new bridge will do to their patient load.   But there are so many plants in that area that they need a solid ER to triage for injuries.   This one will probably see some investment if Oschner ever gets its act together.    Remember - there's no hospital in Port Allen or Donaldsonville anymore.   Plaquemine and New Roads are the real ERs on the west side of the river.   

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"Americana" thread was ARCHIVED back on Page  4  since the last Post was over 7 years ago

New plans for development in West Zachary begin after over a decade of planning

ZACHARY - In West Zachary along Highway 64, new businesses could soon move to town. Americana Development is behind the project to build up Zachary. Zachary District 3 councilwoman Ambre Devirgilio says the project has been in the works since 2011. 

Americana is eyeing a 28 acre plot on the south side of Highway 64. The group hopes to expand to the north. The space will include a 40-thousand-square-foot grocery store, luxury apartments, and restaurants. The names of those businesses are being kept under wraps. 

"There is a purchase agreement on a restaurant, as well as several other retail spaces," Devirgilio said.

Devirgilio says a lot of attention in Zachary has been focused on the eastern side of town. 

"Now it's time for the western side, and my district, to really experience explosive commercial growth. We're ready for it," she said.

So far, developers have put up about $200 million. There is still a lot of work for the city, though, as the project moves forward. 

Devirgilio says she expects to see movement from the developers in the next six months. 

https://www.wbrz.com/news/new-plans-for-development-in-west-zachary-begin-after-over-a-decade-of-planning

12 hours ago, richyb83 said:

"Americana" thread was ARCHIVED back on Page  4  since the last Post was over 7 years ago

New plans for development in West Zachary begin after over a decade of planning

ZACHARY - In West Zachary along Highway 64, new businesses could soon move to town. Americana Development is behind the project to build up Zachary. Zachary District 3 councilwoman Ambre Devirgilio says the project has been in the works since 2011. 

Americana is eyeing a 28 acre plot on the south side of Highway 64. The group hopes to expand to the north. The space will include a 40-thousand-square-foot grocery store, luxury apartments, and restaurants. The names of those businesses are being kept under wraps. 

"There is a purchase agreement on a restaurant, as well as several other retail spaces," Devirgilio said.

Devirgilio says a lot of attention in Zachary has been focused on the eastern side of town. 

"Now it's time for the western side, and my district, to really experience explosive commercial growth. We're ready for it," she said.

So far, developers have put up about $200 million. There is still a lot of work for the city, though, as the project moves forward. 

Devirgilio says she expects to see movement from the developers in the next six months. 

https://www.wbrz.com/news/new-plans-for-development-in-west-zachary-begin-after-over-a-decade-of-planning

I really hope the grocery is tied to either Alexander's Market in Baton Rouge or Oak Point in Central.  Both of those are great stores.  

I suspect it's either an ALDI or new digs for the existing Rouses.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There is a lot of site clearing, including site elevation occurring at the Zachary exit for Highway 61 on the NE quadrant of the intersection.    The sign out front says that it's a future home of a Gerry Lane car dealership (CDRJ).   Looks to be quite large, and this is the first real development on highway 61 in Zachary that I am aware of.     No ground breaking yet, but there is a lot of earth being moved around there and it's clear that there is a large building envelop and pad being organized there.

image.thumb.png.bc96ceb30a762a1a96186cc1cf53131a.png

Directly across from that is a small plot owned by a New Roads based company that is behind the LA Express stores that you see all over south central LA - usually affiliated with Exxon.   So I suspect the SE quadrant of the site will eventually be a convenience store and fuel station.     

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1