"3100 Flats" - Knapp Street NE

trongrr

In our latest North East Citizen Action Association (NECAA) newsletter, there's mention of a new project named 3100 Flats.  It'd described as being on Knapp between the Meijer and the Kent ISD / Kent Career Technical Center.

Does anyone have any more info on this development?  I've searched around a bit, and find no references with normal Google-Fu.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In our latest North East Citizen Action Association (NECAA) newsletter, there's mention of a new project named 3100 Flats.  It'd described as being on Knapp between the Meijer and the Kent ISD / Kent Career Technical Center.

Does anyone have any more info on this development?  I've searched around a bit, and find no references with normal Google-Fu.

I did find something actually. It's an apartment complex being proposed by American Kendall Properties (same Indianapolis group that announced a new apartment complex in Wyoming recently).

Pretty standard fair suburban complex. Although I'd say it's "luxury" as it has built in garages in many of the units. 

16835471404_b4550d6112_b.jpg

17457685301_638b9928d7_b.jpg

17270421440_41aa4846e8_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

New article on the flats were just released. They say the apartments are to target millenials. I'm not so sure how appealing this would be, but i am always happy to see developments over empty green land. Also, is this in the city of Grand Rapids? I thought it was GR township.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2015/05/millennials_targeted_for_apart.html#incart_river_mobile

New article on the flats were just released. They say the apartments are to target millenials. I'm not so sure how appealing this would be, but i am always happy to see developments over empty green land. Also, is this in the city of Grand Rapids? I thought it was GR township.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2015/05/millennials_targeted_for_apart.html#incart_river_mobile

Millennials? Really?

What is the difference between this and any other sub-division with  a singular entrance/exit to a collector street? Never mind that it is parked behind the blank rear end of a Meijer, and couldn't be more pedestrian unfriendly if you built it on 28th and the Beltline.

I thought people in that demographic avoided this stuff like the plague? I'm older and even I think this is the most depressingly isolated and boring place to ever want to live.

Millennials? Really?

What is the difference between this and any other sub-division with  a singular entrance/exit to a collector street? Never mind that it is parked behind the blank rear end of a Meijer, and couldn't be more pedestrian unfriendly if you built it on 28th and the Beltline.

I thought people in that demographic avoided this stuff like the plague? I'm older and even I think this is the most depressingly isolated and boring place to ever want to live.

"These are people who like to mountain bike and kayak and not necessarily take care of the lawn," he [the developer] said. "It's near Meijer Gardens, it's near the IMAX and just north of employment in the East Beltline Corridor."

Any time I've visited FMG, the subject demographic has not been prevalent. Oh, and they're going to end up getting an easement from the ISD or the store for a secondary egress.

Just inside city limits, to the north and west is twp.

Actually the township is to the East as well. KISD, Meijer, Celebration Village and Knapp's Crossing were one of the few successful annexations that the city of GR did. 

http://www.maptechnica.com/us-city-boundary-map/city/Grand%20Rapids/state/MI/cityid/2634000

Actually the township is to the East as well. KISD, Meijer, Celebration Village and Knapp's Crossing were one of the few successful annexations that the city of GR did. 

http://www.maptechnica.com/us-city-boundary-map/city/Grand%20Rapids/state/MI/cityid/2634000

There is twp land to the east as well??  :huh:  If we want to get technical the twp is to the south too.  :P  My point was that while this is in the city, twp property is the the immediate north /west. 

in general I like this plan. It think it's appropriate fit for the area.  

There is twp land to the east as well??  :huh:  If we want to get technical the twp is to the south too.  :P  My point was that while this is in the city, twp property is the the immediate north /west. 

in general I like this plan. It think it's appropriate fit for the area.  

I do too. I think I mentioned on here that a similar apartment project would probably do well at the North end of Knapp's Crossing. 

It's strange though that the developer mentioned kayaking? Mountain biking maybe.

Speaking of that, construction has begun on what I think is the last major portion of Celadon (except for the future restaurant site out in front where the sales trailer is now). A fairly large apartment building behind Licari's North of the pond/wetland. Their site is down right now so can't look it up.

You can also drop a kayak in the Grand River just east of the intersection of Knapp and Grand River Drive.

That is true, and in the Rogue River. Although it's probably a good 9 - 10 miles to the places on the Rogue that are good to put in. 

MDOT should really put an exit at Knapp and I-96 to alleviate congestion on E. Beltline and add density to the NE part of the city

MDOT would have to buy up at least five properties, one of which is Catholic Central's athletic facility.  I know CC is getting ready to build a Stadium on their property, and that's right were an exit ramp would be.   Besides, MDOT has zero funds.  They can't even fix the existing roads. 

MDOT should really put an exit at Knapp and I-96 to alleviate congestion on E. Beltline and add density to the NE part of the city

What they could also do is allow Eastbound I-196 traffic to go North on I-96 and get off at Leonard. That whole intersection of the 2 highways is really screwed up though. 

What they could also do is allow Eastbound I-196 traffic to go North on I-96 and get off at Leonard. That whole intersection of the 2 highways is really screwed up though.

No kidding. Between there and the cascade road exit is probably the worst traffic in the entire city. I was very happy when my job moved off east Paris, back to the city.

There was talk sometime ago about finishing that interchange.  MDOT had a series of proposals.  This was back during the Granholm years when money was scarce and any the only major projects completed were in SE Michigan, which was her base. 

I've never understood why, when the Cascade Road to westbound I-96 merge lane was extended, they didn't take it all the way to Fulton so that it was three lanes from Cascade to the Beltline.  Probably something about the bridge supports at Fulton.  Then again, why is the Fulton interchange not a complete interchange?  And heck, while we're at it, how about more than one exit on I-196 between College Ave. and the East Beltline?

It was extended and given a solid white (do not cross) because people do not build up enough speed on the on ramp (it's tight) to merge safely.

Oh yeah, I understand that part (I've been driving it for years).  Every day though, I wonder why it wasn't continued.  It seems to my observational research that a lot of cars join at Cascade then exit at the Beltline.  If they didn't have to merge left at all for those couple of miles it would save a lot of headaches and middle fingers.  The back-ups at Forest Hill Ave. and Fulton can get a little extensive as well for those people looking to avoid the Cascade/I96 interchange.

Oh yeah, I understand that part (I've been driving it for years).  Every day though, I wonder why it wasn't continued.  It seems to my observational research that a lot of cars join at Cascade then exit at the Beltline.  If they didn't have to merge left at all for those couple of miles it would save a lot of headaches and middle fingers.  The back-ups at Forest Hill Ave. and Fulton can get a little extensive as well for those people looking to avoid the Cascade/I96 interchange.

They don't have the money for the 3rd lane all the way. Plus if entering vehicles would use all the ramp o get up to 70, they could merge in relatively smoothly. Nope, as soon as the get to the mainline then almost stop and  cut over backing everything up. People don't know how to drive :(

They don't have the money for the 3rd lane all the way. Plus if entering vehicles would use all the ramp o get up to 70, they could merge in relatively smoothly. Nope, as soon as the get to the mainline then almost stop and  cut over backing everything up. People don't know how to drive :(

There should be a short breakable barrier that extends the entire length of the current solid white line. Force people to accelerate in the merge lane.

Two very good points.  Thanks.  I think the best solution to the traffic there is to reduce the highway to one lane for cars and put in something like 8 bike lanes.

Archived