Sign in to follow this  
GRDadof3

Brix at Midtown project - Grand & Benson - Michigan Street

GRDadof3    1823
3 hours ago, x99 said:

In a perfect world, the comments from one of the commissioners are correct:  

"If the developer thinks their clientele will not have a car, will participate in public transit, will use the lot a block away, then they've put everything on the line on that bet and I don't think that it is a bet," Ruis said. "I think it'll happen.

"There will be stresses as a result of this, as there are for any development, but I just don't think we solve the parking issue by not allowing development to move forward."

For this ideal little market-based perfect scenario to happen, though, the City needs to be willing to come to the plate if developers attempt to utilize vast amounts of neighborhood parking to fix a miscalculation.  Because what a nice little deal for developers when their tenants all park in front of a neighbor's house, along a curb with grass the neighbor is expected to cut.  

For a Planning Commission that is supposedly "progressive," they sure don't subscribe to "It takes a village." More like "Every man for himself." 

Maybe they're not that progressive? 

joeDowntown    662

I think this is unfortunately one of those situations where the market will dictate what happens. I could see a 200 seat restaurant having real struggles if patrons can't park. And tenants will have an overwhelming number of choices in the coming years. Will be interesting to see if Third Coast wins the battle but loses the war on this one. 

Joe

GRDadof3    1823
4 minutes ago, arcturus said:

Updated pic taken Nov 5.

20161105_134501_1.jpg

Surprised you didn't get the apartments under construction to your right. 

arcturus    145
3 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Surprised you didn't get the apartments under construction to your right. 

You mean this? 

20161105_134304_1.jpg

Edited by arcturus

GRDadof3    1823
5 minutes ago, arcturus said:

You mean this? 

20161105_134304_1.jpg

No, further right. The first building is under construction. 

arcturus    145
2 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

No, further right. The first building is under construction. 

Ah!  Must have been tunnel visioned.  

GRDadof3    1823
Just now, arcturus said:

I saw it while I was driving by on the highway. It would be this building here.

Rise First Building.jpg

Morris    3

If I was going to start a new restaurant/bar, and invest at least 3/4 of a million, in interior work, a new kitchen, I would make sure there is enough parking, patrons are finicky, if they can't find parking, they will go to the next place down the road. A lot of restaurant customers have problems with walking a block away, in the snow, and ice, because of age and health issues. 

A solution with this stretch of Michigan Street, is to make it a two lane street, with parking on both sides. This will hopefully slow down the traffic from freeway speeds they are now, put in a traffic light at Grand Ave., so the residents have a chance to make left hand turns. It will just like the nightmare Cherry and Wealthy Street areas of restaurants, with people wanting to back into parking spots, with 20 cars behind them! Of course the city traffic engineers will have to have put in those bike lanes for that hill, and have bumped out curbs, so the bikes will have to cut into traffic, to avoid them, going 2 mph up the hill. Then, put in those fancy crosswalk signs that drivers think are stop signs, it will slow down traffic!

Edited by Morris

GRDadof3    1823
On 11/6/2016 at 9:26 AM, arcturus said:

I can see why you missed it, there's a big setup that holds what looks like a construction cam, a solar panel array, and it's surrounded by concrete barriers. Had to squeeze around it. We'll have to see if we can find that construction cam...

"...still just a rat in a cage."

30766399252_b6b5bbf5f6_b.jpg

30247001193_9640c487e4_b.jpg

• Like 2

GRDadof3    1823
1 hour ago, thebeerqueer said:

Nice Smashing Pumpkins reference.

Haha! I wondered if anyone would pick up on that. Saw them live at Wings Stadium in 92!! :tw_tounge_xd: Or maybe it was 91 or 93, kinda blurry. 

• Like 1

thebeerqueer    197
9 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Haha! I wondered if anyone would pick up on that. Saw them live at Wings Stadium in 92!! :tw_tounge_xd: Or maybe it was 91 or 93, kinda blurry. 

I saw them at the Van Andel in 1996 right after the arena opened. Still one of my favorite shows. 

GRDadof3    1823
7 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

I saw them at the Van Andel in 1996 right after the arena opened. Still one of my favorite shows. 

I just looked it up and it was 1994. :blink:

In 1990 they played Club Soda. Whoa. 

OK, moving on! :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

I just looked it up and it was 1994. :blink:

In 1990 they played Club Soda. Whoa. 

OK, moving on! :)

Club soda went in what?  2006? where was the DAC?

Edited by ironyisadeadscene
  • Like 1

GR8scott    79

Midtown is finally shaping up. To be a true "Midtown" there needs to be a little more height like some midrises lol. This vantage point below looks like it would be 15-20 floors up from the ground and would be sweet!!!Even a GR standard 12 story-er in that vicinity would be awesome  Rise First Building.jpg

• Like 1

joeDowntown    662

You can tell the scope of this development when you drive by and realize the parking structure will be completely hidden by other buildings. Excited to see how they handle the facades. 

Joe

• Like 3

GRDadof3    1823
2 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

You can tell the scope of this development when you drive by and realize the parking structure will be completely hidden by other buildings. Excited to see how they handle the facades. 

Joe

Looks like your standard brick and vinyl siding. Maybe cement board/hardie plank?

joeDowntown    662
1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Looks like your standard brick and vinyl siding. Maybe cement board/hardie plank?

For some reason I thought they had to jump through some hoops with the facade to make it nicer. Maybe I'm getting my projects mixed up. 

Joe

mielsonwheels    108
On 9/29/2016 at 2:14 PM, mgreven said:

From the Midtown minutes...enjoy! 

Screen Shot 2016-09-29 at 2.13.11 PM.png

Just doing some digging around on the Third Coast website, ran across this:

https://thirdcoast.appfolio.com/listings/listings/09a5828b-1099-46d8-82e1-4d9c15c2f70e

Might help allay (or further) some fears for this project, looks wise at least...