Sign in to follow this  
GRDadof3

Brix at Midtown project - Grand & Benson - Michigan Street

Recommended Posts

Don't love it, don't hate it. Honestly these renderings have seemed to do a terrible job of translating what these buildings will look like in the real world, so who knows. One positive take-away, it adds a retail component to the block between Grand and Benson. With the 300 units Rise is putting in behind, It'll be nice to add a few more shops within walking distance.

3rd coast grand benson.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


3 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

Don't love it, don't hate it. Honestly these renderings have seemed to do a terrible job of translating what these buildings will look like in the real world, so who knows. One positive take-away, it adds a retail component to the block between Grand and Benson. With the 300 units Rise is putting in behind, It'll be nice to add a few more shops within walking distance.

3rd coast grand benson.jpg

There's an office building on the Beltline that ran away and ended up here, apparently. :)

j/k it does look better. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

 Honestly these renderings have seemed to do a terrible job of translating what these buildings will look like in the real world, so who knows.

My brother-in-law is a architect and while ultra realistic renderings are possible, most firms choose not to do them. The reason being is that the customer is not an architect and so the firm doesn't want the customer's expectations to be misaligned with reality. So these renderings are intentionally 'low detail.'

Edited by temporary.name

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

There's an office building on the Beltline that ran away and ended up here, apparently. :)

j/k it does look better. 

 

It's funny, I used to really like what Third Coast did, but their recent projects have been absolute garbage. What happened?! I expect this one to be the same. With no parking. 

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, joeDowntown said:

It's funny, I used to really like what Third Coast did, but their recent projects have been absolute garbage. What happened?! I expect this one to be the same. With no parking. 

Joe

When there's a high demand for housing in Grand Rapids and you can cut corners on costs, you can make a pretty nice profit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Update. This one building is getting taller than I envisioned actually. 

 

20161215_151922 (2).jpg

From the rendering, the parking structure is hidden among the buildings, so it'll definitely have some space size to it. 

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2016 at 7:24 AM, amylynne said:

Farah's Bar is planning an expansion which will up capacity and eliminate a few parking spaces. That project was presented before the Third Coast building and there was a long, long discussion about parking.

Oh oh!

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2016/12/father-son_bar_owners_deleted.html#incart_river_index

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RISE is really starting to rise. and this is just the building closest to the highway. They've started on the buildings just to the south of the ramp as well, but couldnt get a good shot.

20170113_105020.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very exited about this project, it is going to contribute a lot to Midtown.  And these guys don't fool around - this projects started moving very quickly.

FYI, there is a collaboration between this project and the Third Coast projects - this projects oversized ramp will potentially provide parking spaces to Third Coast residents who are into that kind of thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, whitemice said:

Very exited about this project, it is going to contribute a lot to Midtown.  And these guys don't fool around - this projects started moving very quickly.

FYI, there is a collaboration between this project and the Third Coast projects - this projects oversized ramp will potentially provide parking spaces to Third Coast residents who are into that kind of thing.

Where did you hear that? I read in the city's agenda that the RISE project was vehemently opposed to Third Coast providing no parking for their Michigan/Benson project. Did that change? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long awaited update. In the bottom corner of that building (to the right) you can see the retail space that will be part of this (shown in the renderings)

 

 

 

35536253910_e05383a3a2_b.jpg

 

35792847651_76750d5e4d_b.jpg

 

35754604102_c548b32360_b.jpg

 

35883891876_0ef465d29c_b.jpg

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man does that thing ever look like a sewer stain compared to the condos in the background.  Cheap and fuggly got together and made offspring.  I'm surprised they didn't just cover it it in plywood, caulk up the seams, and call it good.  Cabrini Green taught Chicago a lesson we've quite clearly yet to learn.

Edited by x99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2017 at 5:09 PM, GRDadof3 said:

Long awaited update. In the bottom corner of that building (to the right) you can see the retail space that will be part of this (shown in the renderings)

 

 

 

35536253910_e05383a3a2_b.jpg

 

35792847651_76750d5e4d_b.jpg

 

35754604102_c548b32360_b.jpg

 

35883891876_0ef465d29c_b.jpg

 

This reminds me a lot of the multi-family buildings going up in Denver when I was out there last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah that last image shows what a difference the finishes make. That siding looks terrible and will not age well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Not exactly cheap places here either. 

1 BR 1 BA $1,478 - 1,594   699 - 950 Sq Ft       View Model
2 BR s 2 BA s $1,911 - 2,069   964 - 1,399 Sq Ft        
3 BR s 2 BA s $2,338 - 3,430   1,267 - 1,564 Sq Ft      

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, HavingAhoot said:

 

Not exactly cheap places here either. 

1 BR 1 BA $1,478 - 1,594   699 - 950 Sq Ft       View Model
2 BR s 2 BA s $1,911 - 2,069   964 - 1,399 Sq Ft        
3 BR s 2 BA s $2,338 - 3,430   1,267 - 1,564 Sq Ft      

 

Didn't you get the memo put out by all GR area employers that they were bumping up everyone's salaries by 50% to keep up with the rest of the industrialized world? ;)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2017 at 10:46 AM, demhem said:

This reminds me a lot of the multi-family buildings going up in Denver when I was out there last year. 

I thought the same. The developer is out of Georgia. 

I actually didn't think they looked that bad. :P 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I thought the same. The developer is out of Georgia. 

I actually didn't think they looked that bad. :P 

Me neither. It's a helluva lot better than what was there. And if they are a good property management company, I wouldn't be worried. It's not like this siding will start to deteriorate in 2 years. ;) 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Me neither. It's a helluva lot better than what was there. And if they are a good property management company, I wouldn't be worried. It's not like this siding will start to deteriorate in 2 years. ;) 

And it's a mid-rise tucked into a residential area, which is perfectly acceptable to do siding on. as long as it's mixed with brick (IMO). The Belknap project also has horizontal siding and doesn't look that bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MJLO said:

I take this means the proposed buildings for this site are a go?

I believe so, I seem to remember seeing it on another city agenda recently. It's on Third Coast's site:

http://thirdcoastdevelopment.com/midtown-cityzen/

Oh yeah, here ya go:

http://fox17online.com/2017/07/13/rent-restricted-apartment-complex-announced-for-grand-rapids/

10 hours ago, walker said:
  • Had to look this up on Google -  here's the before shot;

Google view

Hey Google Streetview driver, how about cleaning the leaves off your dome before you drive around. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Hey Google Streetview driver, how about cleaning the leaves off your dome before you drive around. :)

A lot of the images downtown have that. I saw a car go through about a month ago so maybe we will see an update soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.