Brix at Midtown project - Grand & Benson - Michigan Street

GRDadof3

Appears to be a new apartment project in the works for the area between Grand Ave and Benson Ave, and from the "Michigan Street Alley" North to the railroad tracks. 

Some details:

) 4 story apartment project, with 3 story sections along Grand Ave to reduce height

) 4 story parking ramp at the North end of the site
) Potential connection to the Women's Health Center parking lot/ramp and through to Grand Ave.

) 290 - 300 units

That's all I can find so far online.

17271588008_3618e306cc_b.jpg

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the bird's eye view on Bing Maps, we aren't talking about a tiny sliver of land here. If it includes all of that property between the two streets to the RR tracks (Kent Novelty is at the SE corner of the block), then this is going to be a massive building that will potentially put up to a thousand people in this area. A major changing of the game, or some phrase like that.

Looking at the bird's eye view on Bing Maps, we aren't talking about a tiny sliver of land here. If it includes all of that property between the two streets to the RR tracks (Kent Novelty is at the SE corner of the block), then this is going to be a massive building that will potentially put up to a thousand people in this area. A major changing of the game, or some phrase like that.

Agreed. To get 290 - 300 units in a four story building complex, it will most likely go all the way out to Michigan. That's a lotta bodies. 

For comparison, the LMD & Seward project is 63 apartments, Fulton Place will have 120, and I think even River House only has about 210. Boardwalk has 240 I believe. 

Here ya go. Doesn't go all the way out to Michigan, but it does show a "West" building on Benson.

Ambling Management appears to be out of Valdosta, GA. 

The architect Lord Aeks Sargent appears to be based in Atlanta but has an office in Ann Arbor.

I should add that this plan only shows the project ending at the Michigan Street Alley, but perhaps they have picked up Kent Novelty now to make the project bigger. They have talked about vacating the alley.

Talk amongst yourselves. ;)

16886275704_425acfcfe0_b.jpg

17482472436_f86837b233_b.jpg

17508851005_7a53ae741d_b.jpg

17322528599_2d6b305dfb_b.jpg

I really wish there would be a MID rise in MID town and that west building would be an ideal spot for an iconic looking 15 story with lots of density surrounding it

That whole area between the highway and Michigan is going through a rezoning process. I don't know what the height limits will be. But based on the discussion I'm looking at, it sounds like the neighborhood pushed to have the 4 story portion on Grand Ave brought down to the current 3 story version you see now (with roof lines that resemble the nearby housing). I can't imagine them wanting a 15 story building in that area. 

I always liked this little neighborhood.  Sad to see it hit the bulldozer, apparently.   It isn't clear whether this goes to Michigan or not.  If not, I suppose I don't much care about the appearance all that much given that it seems to be tucked away on a dead end street. 

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
41 minutes ago, MJLO said:

What is the timeline on this?  I can't find anything in the articles that give an anticipated or desired start date.

"Total capital investment is estimated at $53 million and the Project will likely commence in early 2016 and be completed within 15 to 18 months." per the Brownfield application. They have 16 homes that they plan to demolish first. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

28151102251_c7342890fd_o.jpg

Forgive the quality of the photo.  The unfortunate position of the sun blinds the spot where you can see the Mid-town Village garage.  They are definitely clearing the site for construction.  Due to my lack of paying attention skills I was under the impression this project went all the way to Michigan.  The renderings clearly show it does not.  The buildings fronting Michigan look like crap here.  I hope this developer considers something fronting Michigan there as well.

As far as i'm concerned Michigan St between College and Lafeyette could use a complete gutting, (With a few exceptions.) It's weird to me to see these big brand new projects sitting next to the  mostly run down single family homes, and mostly run down old business buildings, with empty lots, and conspicuously big parking lots mixed in. 

13 hours ago, MJLO said:

28151102251_c7342890fd_o.jpg

Forgive the quality of the photo.  The unfortunate position of the sun blinds the spot where you can see the Mid-town Village garage.  They are definitely clearing the site for construction.  Due to my lack of paying attention skills I was under the impression this project went all the way to Michigan.  The renderings clearly show it does not.  The buildings fronting Michigan look like crap here.  I hope this developer considers something fronting Michigan there as well.

As far as i'm concerned Michigan St between College and Lafeyette could use a complete gutting, (With a few exceptions.) It's weird to me to see these big brand new projects sitting next to the  mostly run down single family homes, and mostly run down old business buildings, with empty lots, and conspicuously big parking lots mixed in. 

What is it we're looking at? Is that building to the right the one that sits right next to the railroad tracks? 

• 2 months later...

Archived