1340 Monroe - Apartments or Commercial Renovation

rhonis4pres

^

See Franklin Partners, LLC's post on their facebook page to confirm what he is alluding to. ;)

I know, they bought Display Pack and the building (1340 Monroe). I believe they're in process of finding a new home for DP first, but I'm not sure if they've settled on apartments yet? There were some articles out back in December.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/12/will_old_factory_on_monroe_ave.html

Although those images are new. Thanks for the link! 

I know, they bought Display Pack and the building (1340 Monroe). I believe they're in process of finding a new home for DP first, but I'm not sure if they've settled on apartments yet? There were some articles out back in December.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/12/will_old_factory_on_monroe_ave.html

Although those images are new. Thanks for the link! 

A friend who works for Display Pack said they were moving to a former Wolverine Worldwide distribution center up a little south of Cedar Springs.  If you take the White Pine Trail north of Rockford, you cross a dirt road and there's a big hulking building on your left. He said they are going in there.  He didn't mention a timeline for the move, though.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2138909,-85.5546739,1644m/data=!3m1!1e3

I'm not really sure what we're looking at in the images, but I "think" this first view is looking South into the L-shape of the building. And that the building to the left with the diagonal screens is a parking ramp built on top of the surface parking. 

17502793086_cfa9e161a0_b.jpg

The other image is looking from within the glass wall toward the parking ramp (?)

17529191705_6ff57bc1e6_b.jpg

16945320584_4dd3661020_b.jpg

• Like 1

Here's another image, apparently. This project could be pretty sweet as commercial. Franklin Partners has a good track record with commercial users, which could provide more jobs in the city. 

17395221509_9ae60ee5e9_b.jpg

For those who can't picture the building:

17581647041_8ef90771b0_b.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

With all the new developments communicated on river front activation, 1340 Monroe seems like the perfect location for high end apartments.  Franklin Partners have done cool things with their office buildings with fitness centers and restaurants.. it would be interesting to see what they would do for a residential development.  

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Rennovation of the existing building, two additional buildings and a parking ramp.  I think it's awesome that they are proposing a parking ramp when they could have just as easily made a sea of parking and rennovated the existing building.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.8dbce1be91fe76db10054f32378779cd.jpgUntitled2.thumb.jpg.7aec28457117cdc6066208e36f4e0dd1.jpg

I clicked on the topic and didnt realize that the first post was from 2015, and was seriously worried that this was going to be limited to the existing building with a massive parking lot.

WHEW! Glad I scrolled to the bottom.

Anyways, looks amazing. 400+ units will light that area up with additional interest. And it's an amazing area for more residential, being sandwiched between Riverside Park, the river itself, Creston Heights and N. Monroe (parts south of Leonard).

• Like 1

Rennovation of the existing building, two additional buildings and a parking ramp.  I think it's awesome that they are proposing a parking ramp when they could have just as easily made a sea of parking and rennovated the existing building.
http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2021_05/Untitled.thumb.jpg.8dbce1be91fe76db10054f32378779cd.jpghttp://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2021_05/Untitled2.thumb.jpg.7aec28457117cdc6066208e36f4e0dd1.jpg
With this plus the Sligh development we will be gaining more than 1100 downtown-adjacent units of housing. That's incredible.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Would sure be nice if this and the Sligh Furniture development both happened. That would leave only 1 old factory left to redevelop - the old Baker Furniture building on North Monroe. 
Wonder if this could happen if the Sligh block is done, or if that will be too much availability for the demand.  If so, it would be a matter of who could get their shovels in the dirt first. 

That crane is still there at the Baker building.  Someone suggested it was being staged for the perrigo project....so it can't be that.  There is plenty of space at this 1340 Monroe project that they could have done it there.  Holding out for something at Baker. :-)

Speaking of cranes, I was in Austin over the weekend and whoa, that a lot of cranes! :offtopic:

PXL_20210605_204906140.jpg

Edited by grandrollerz
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 8:46 AM, Prankster said:

Would sure be nice if this and the Sligh Furniture development both happened. That would leave only 1 old factory left to redevelop - the old Baker Furniture building on North Monroe. 
Wonder if this could happen if the Sligh block is done, or if that will be too much availability for the demand.  If so, it would be a matter of who could get their shovels in the dirt first. 

Now don't hold me to anything on this, but I've heard this development is a more 'luxury residential' proposal vs. Sligh which I believe is more market rate. So I don't think they'll be cannibalizing each other for prospective tenants.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 11:01 AM, Floyd_Z said:

Untitled.thumb.jpg.8dbce1be91fe76db10054f32378779cd.jpgUntitled2.thumb.jpg.7aec28457117cdc6066208e36f4e0dd1.jpg

Wow, I didn't realize this project was revived! With new developers.  I keep seeing this topic pop up but thought it was other news. 

• Like 2