Dominion Resources: New High-rise Building Planned for Downtown

TBurban

49 minutes ago, drayrichmond said:

RTD edited the earlier article (figuring sea level height may be misleading) and posted the expected height for the tower. Looks like 413 feet making it the second tallest in Richmond. If they build the second tower, that will only be 16 stories tall. 

That's not terrible I thought for a second that it wouldn't even break the 400 foot mark. Still not satisfied with the plans though.

Sure a taller building would be cool, but this is a major downtown employer making an investment downtown of hundreds of millions of dollars and committing to downtown for another generation. I applaud that.

Here's the quote from last year's announcement:

“Part of recruiting and getting people to Richmond is making Richmond an attractive city,” said Reid, noting that part of the aim is to “enhance” Richmond’s skyline.

I don't think they ever said this was going to be the biggest. But, it will enhance the skyline. Richmond Plaza is a total dump.  Jbjust - I appreciate your contributions... What do you think the odds are that they decide to add a little height in the first phase?

• Like 1

Sure a taller building would be cool, but this is a major downtown employer making an investment downtown of hundreds of millions of dollars and committing to downtown for another generation. I applaud that.

Here's the quote from last year's announcement:

“Part of recruiting and getting people to Richmond is making Richmond an attractive city,” said Reid, noting that part of the aim is to “enhance” Richmond’s skyline.

I don't think they ever said this was going to be the biggest. But, it will enhance the skyline. Richmond Plaza is a total dump.  Jbjust - I appreciate your contributions... What do you think the odds are that they decide to add a little height in the first phase?

Also - this building will be 25% taller than their current building. It will be pretty visible from most angles of the skyline 
  • Like 1

Just read an article saying that the total square footage will be 908,000. The floor plates for this building are huge(over 45,000 square feet!), don't see why they couldn't have made it taller with that square footage. However, I really like the design of the tower. It define you will stand out the the skyline and will be a good compliment to gateway plaza. Would have been nice to have had a new tallest but it's good to have density. After looking at the plans though, I'm starting to really like the building.

• Like 1

To put this in perspective, the new building, at 413 ft. will be around the height of the SunTrust tower (400 ft). The Federal Reserve is 394. This will be the new second tallest building. 

I think it's the aspect ratio that makes this look shorter because of the huge floor plates. But it will have a big presence. Not sure how others feel, but I kind of hope they run out of money and DON'T tear down the current James River Plaza. I like the sleekness of that building and the way it's boxiness relates to the Federal Reserve. And I think one of these buildings would have a more powerful presence then twin, or almost twin towers. 

I think this is a classy design and a good addition that will freshen up the skyline. 

• Like 1

I like. And about super tall buildings downtown, we're not a major city... however, a tall building could be built if Capital One would leave Goochland and built a tower, consolidating the campus into one place... but one can dream...

10 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

I definantely wish they were taller but I LOVE THE DESIGN!!! These buildings will definantely change the skyline for the better. Even though they aren't the 40-50 story monsters that we wanted, I still take them. Plus with the demolition of the current dominion building, it won't mean that we will have an extra vacant office building. The only thing that sucks is that we will most likely have to wait another 10-15 years for a large signature tower

NOOOOOOOOOO! That's only 2 feet shorter than the VA beach Westin!!!!! Could they maybe make it 3 feet taller?

I don't know if it's been updated, but the article appears to say 413 feet will be the height now. A good addition to the Richmond skyline for sure, but certainly not the signature that I know many of yall were hoping for.

3 hours ago, HRVT said:

I don't know if it's been updated, but the article appears to say 413 feet will be the height now. A good addition to the Richmond skyline for sure, but certainly not the signature that I know many of yall were hoping for.

I was reading the "height above sea level". They really shouldn't have given its height by saying it was 506 feet above sea level. It's very deceiving and it makes it seem like dominion was trying to hide the height of their building.

6 hours ago, changingskyline said:

To put this in perspective, the new building, at 413 ft. will be around the height of the SunTrust tower (400 ft). The Federal Reserve is 394. This will be the new second tallest building. 

I think it's the aspect ratio that makes this look shorter because of the huge floor plates. But it will have a big presence. Not sure how others feel, but I kind of hope they run out of money and DON'T tear down the current James River Plaza. I like the sleekness of that building and the way it's boxiness relates to the Federal Reserve. And I think one of these buildings would have a more powerful presence then twin, or almost twin towers. 

I think this is a classy design and a good addition that will freshen up the skyline. 

I also hope that dominion doesn't tear down their current building. It will be a nice contrast to the 2 modern office towers beside it.

So, after having the night for the design to sink in... I really like the design of the building. For some reason it reminds me a little of the Rosslyn Twin Towers but modernized. I think the height is appropriate for Richmond and will add to the density. My only fear is that from the angle of the released image, it makes the two buildings look like they have huge gap between them, which seems very suburbanesque. Like it's meant to be in Tyson's Corner and not downtown. 

2 minutes ago, varunner said:

So, after having the night for the design to sink in... I really like the design of the building. For some reason it reminds me a little of the Rosslyn Twin Towers but modernized. I think the height is appropriate for Richmond and will add to the density. My only fear is that from the angle of the released image, it makes the two buildings look like they have huge gap between them, which seems very suburbanesque. Like it's meant to be in Tyson's Corner and not downtown. 

It isn't confirmed that the second building will be built. It said on bizsense that they won't decide whether they will renovate the current building or build the new one. I also think that this tower looks like something you'd see in NOVA. That isn't necessarily a good thing but it does add variation from the current boxy skyline.

bizsense article here:

http://richmondbizsense.com/2016/05/13/dominion-to-build-20-story-tower-downtown/

OK so get me straight here....visually speaking, it will "look" like the tallest building in the skyline but technically speaking, from street level to the top it will not be?  That makes me feel a little better about the underwhelming 20 stories if I am reading that correctly 

14 hours ago, jbjust said:

To be fair, they are a public utility in most respects and building a flashy skyscraper isn't the best signal to send if you depend on the state government to decide if you're making too much money...

This is fair and a valid point.  However, Dominion has significant businesses unrelated to our local utility Dominion Virginia Power. This includes significant unregulated generation business in New England (supplies half of the power to state of CT as an independent provider) and PA...major federal regulated pipeline operations, gas exploration and extraction in the shale regions, gas utilitis in other states, huge LNG import/export business in MD, and significant unregulated solar generation business in California and other states....to name some.

Sure, Dominion owns the home-town electric utility, but those utility electric rates are strictly regulated as a traditional cost of service business and outside of the proven costs to provide electricity reliably, Dominion should only have to answer to it's Board /shareholders for how it spends its money.

On a similar note, companies like this usually build then lease back these type of office buildings since real estate is not their core business.

• Like 2

First, I'm disappointed with the height just as everyone else. However, lots of good things here. First it's going to be 413 ft. with only 20 stories, much better than what I thought the height would be with 20 stories. Also lets look at more than just height and design. We have a downtown with a 12% occupancy rate, but this is a guaranteed 100% occupied highrise that will  bring 1300 workers to downtown. That's a great thing! It also shows Dominion's investment in Richmond and downtown. They easily could have built more space elsewhere or in the suburbs. They are a utilities company, their wealth doesn't really need to be showcased downtown with a flashy skyscraper but still they are here putting more people and money into Downtown. Stoked for the building. (Another 10 stories would have been great though)

At first blush, I am pretty disappointed in the height.  However, I do see a lot of positives here.  First, the Richmond Plaza block is a moribund eyesore and this will transform it, as well as extend the high rise district west.  Second, the architecture marks a departure from the typical RVA box.  While I doubt it wins the Pritzker Prize, it does look like the type of building that stands in the La Defense district of Paris.  Third, the potential retail and restaurant spaces facing Cary and 7th streets will add vivacity to that area of the CBD.  Fourth, this brings (and keeps) over a thousand workers in the city.  That can only help in Richmond's re-urbanization.

Here's hoping that the redevelopment of James River I gives the city a new tallest and the icon its skyline craves.

• Like 3

Echoing other's responses, regardless of the height, this is a huge expression of on-going reinvestment being made in downtown. No, the building is not the state's new tallest or even the city's new tallest, but this is taking what has been a six-story, full city block of an eyesore and turning it into a symbol of progress. This is something to be proud of. The design is sleek, the crown is elegant, and the investment being made by Dominion shows their continued commitment to this great city and its residents. There are plenty of opportunities for infill high-rise development to occur within the core. Addresses that we are all familiar with that have been thrown around this forum by many. This tower, along with the 21- (or 23) story Locks tower and VCU's 12-story GRC redevelopment marks what has been another banner year for the city's growth.

• Like 2

Yep, now that it's sunk in for a day, the designs not bad, I am worried a bit about density with it, looks like a lot of open space around it. On the up side 413ft is pretty tall for only 20 stories, hopefully it will be visible from I95. Another positive is that this does push construction of high-rises west of downtown so this may be just the beginning of expansion into Monroe Ward (where there is plenty of vacant lots/parking lots to develop). 

Also, who knows, maybe when it comes time to decide on the second tower Dominion may find need for more space, so, not to get hopes up, but things can change in three years; that second tower might grow a bit. 

Now who wants to try and convince capital one to move downtown? lets get on that!

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, drayrichmond said:

Yep, now that it's sunk in for a day, the designs not bad, I am worried a bit about density with it, looks like a lot of open space around it. On the up side 413ft is pretty tall for only 20 stories, hopefully it will be visible from I95. Another positive is that this does push construction of high-rises west of downtown so this may be just the beginning of expansion into Monroe Ward (where there is plenty of vacant lots/parking lots to develop). 

Also, who knows, maybe when it comes time to decide on the second tower Dominion may find need for more space, so, not to get hopes up, but things can change in three years; that second tower might grow a bit. 

Now who wants to try and convince capital one to move downtown? lets get on that!

Instead of focusing on Capital One, maybe we can get a Fortune 500 from outside Virginia to relocate to downtown!

1 hour ago, drayrichmond said:

I do like the capital one idea. They have over 10,000 employees in the Richmond region so you'd think they could put at least 1500 downtown. I think that their are multiple companies in the burbs that would move downtown if the tax rate wasn't so high. 

1 minute ago, blopp1234 said:

I do like the capital one idea. They have over 10,000 employees in the Richmond region so you'd think they could put at least 1500 downtown. I think that their are multiple companies in the burbs that would move downtown if the tax rate wasn't so high. 

I think it has a lot more to do with the city's demographics compared to where Capital One is currently located.  The majority of Capital One's employees probably have children (or may soon) and don't want to buy in the city because of concern over crime and schools.  What's the benefit of Capital One moving downtown if it's just going to inconvenience most of its workforce?  

On the other hand, take a look at CarMax.  They have a growing IT department that's trying to attract new talent.  That likely means they are going to be hiring lots of young (probably childless) professionals.  They much more closely resemble the demographics of downtown, so it makes sense to establish an office there.

Once we have 1,500 Capital One employees living in permanent housing downtown and complaining about commuting to campus, I think you'll see a move to open some office space downtown. 

• Like 1

If you look through Pickard Chilton's work you'll see how closely the Dominion design comes out of their recent buildings in Houston, Milwaukee and other cities:

http://www.pickardchilton.com/work

Many of these buildings offer public amenities like parks. Hopefully we'll be getting something similar. It seems like there would also be interest in a highly upgraded Kanawha Plaza, considering that this building is going up across the street. https://rvanews.com/news/new-and-improved-kanawha-plaza-hopefully-coming-this-summer/121406

Edited by changingskyline